BANGKOK
webfact

With no travel insurance, Canadian family struggles to bring injured father home from Thailand

55 minutes ago, HHTel said:

In-patient coverage of 40K baht!

AS far as i know in patient is 400 k and outpatient 40k.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Accident insurance is cheap but coverage is extremely limited. It may well have paid the medical costs in this instance but that's not his problem; repatriation is the issue and accident insurance would not cover repatriation.

There are travel insurers out there that do cover repatriation, just a matter of which policy you choose, the cheaper the policy, the less coverage, the higher the policy, the more coverage, e.g. repatriation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dotpoom said:

One can get "accident insurance" at the local bank for less than 2000 Bt..

You are Sadly mistaking. I have an Accident insurance BKB. 73 yrs young  THB 3800 covers up to THB40000 if you break a bone & if no broken bones it will cover up to THB 20000 . If one want' a higher cover than it cost a lot more. Used it ones for a cut on arm 4 stitches needed Cost Total THB 19000, 8 months ago.  🤑

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, heybuz said:

I get insurance but I'm paranoid about said companies paying , finding some excuse not to pay like being in a motorcycle accident as a pillion passenger and the excuse is you don't have a motorcycle license to ride the bike.5😃😃

If you read the fine print of each and every policy, you will have no paranoia, insurance is insurance, but you have to read the policy in full including the fine print, highlighting what isn't covered.

It's not a lucky dip, where you just buy an insurance policy and then hope for the best, insurers won't pay for certain things, you have to find them and then highlight them, being fully aware of what is not covered, then make the informed decision, e.g. of $hit it doesn't cover you if you are a pillion passenger, or it does, but will not cover you if the rider is not appropriately licensed, or it simply doesn't cover riding motorbikes, or scooters over 125cc.

Most people blame the insurer because they didn't read the fine print or the policy, KNOW what your buying, then if the insurer knocks you back and you feel its unjust and is within the policy, then you have legal recourse, but would have to be an insurance company that is small and dodgy, suffice to say, stick with the bigger ones.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Since he fell off a ladder at his wife’s house, wife should pay for his medical expenses. 

Oops, where is immigration. Working with out permit... 

Only an idiot would travel with out medical insurance. 

It is time Thai Immigration demands Medical insurance upon arrival. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, jlwilliamsjr18 said:

Perhaps you can educate us.

"One can get "accident insurance" at the local bank for less than 2000 Bt."

I just came back to Thailand first week of November I bought Travel Insurance for $50. So that is 1500 baht. I had a kidney stone attack and was 100% covered for over $6000. So now you’re educated 🙂

• Like 2

It starts to annoy me that there is always a mix-up between HEALTH - and TRAVEL insurance. The later has nothing to do with age or existing pre-conditions - it is a travel insurance which covers accidents and unforeseenable cases of illness.

A travel insurance costs peanuts and should be mandatory for ALL visitors / tourist in Thailand for their own benefit and safety.

Of course it is not meant for so called "long stay tourists".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dotpoom said:

2 hours ago, jlwilliamsjr18 said:

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I had some of that, when I tried to claim they wouldn't pay.

Here the link. My friend used it. He happy. I get it also.

maybe the link will open in thai language. For english look at the top right.

https://kasikornbank.com/EN/News/Pages/Insurance-via-K-PLUS.aspx

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

I'm thinking that it's high time travel insurance should be worldwide mandated and a must with every ticket purchased just like half a dozen of surcharges we pay when we buy an airline ticket so should be a bare minimum insurance policy to insure minimum coverage, with the provisions to increase the cover to suits individuals, this way billions will be saved not to mention griff and heartaches will saved to all concerns, be it governments or individuals...

That might work if payment were based on nature of ailment/injury rather than the somewhat more lucrative ethnicity of patient.

2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I wouldn't really describe falling off a ladder as a hazardous pursuit?

it IS  a hazardous pursuit....im sure that in many countries, it is near the top of the list for accidents....regardless, all insurance companies will do their very best, to find a way out ,from settling a claim...

my sympathies with the guy, im about 2 yrs older...

thailand must be considered a 'high risk' country, with bad driving etc etc, so anybody who visits is very foolish, not having good insurance or funds to pay for any misshap..

why should thai people be expected to pay for foreigners misshaps....no no no...

Or marry a government worker where you are covered for all medical, medication and everything else.

just saying.

3 hours ago, jlwilliamsjr18 said:

It's only available is you travel less than 3 (or 6 months dont remember) and it's a travel insurance not health insurance. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, dotpoom said:

I agree, we should not be a burden on Thailand, but Thai people living in the UK getting free medical treatment should also not be a burden on the UK. 

• Like 2

If he hasn't been out of the province of BC for more than 6 months, he will be covered by the provincial medical insurance at the equivelant cost of the same treatment in BC. Unfortunately, he can only claim when he gets back home.