With no travel insurance, Canadian family struggles to bring injured father home from Thailand

webfact

1 hour ago, phka said:

Why should it be mandatory I don't need health insurance and don't want it why should I be forced into buying something I don't need just because of a handful/few irresponsible people. 

Same reason why you are forced to take out third party vehicle insurance. Insurance is in place for when (no if) you need it.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bet almost all the people posting on this thread claiming they have the high ground because they have the sense to buy insurance have yet to experience an insurance claim process themselves?

Here's what I mean..

There is a good reason many people don't buy insurance and I cant blame them. The insurance companies hire people to find ways NOT to pay you out at your most vulnerable time.

The exceptions and clauses are ridiculous for many and even if you think you are safe there is always time in the future to get one of those 'pre existing conditions' that will tie you into the policy you have now for life as you will no longer be covered or accepted elsewhere.

If the Thai system allowed people to pay into the Social System or if insurance companies actually paid out and had no restrictions at affordable prices these stories wouldn't be applicable.

I hope the guy recovers well.

4 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

If you read the fine print of each and every policy, you will have no paranoia, insurance is insurance, but you have to read the policy in full including the fine print, highlighting what isn't covered.

It's not a lucky dip, where you just buy an insurance policy and then hope for the best, insurers won't pay for certain things, you have to find them and then highlight them, being fully aware of what is not covered, then make the informed decision, e.g. of $hit it doesn't cover you if you are a pillion passenger, or it does, but will not cover you if the rider is not appropriately licensed, or it simply doesn't cover riding motorbikes, or scooters over 125cc.

Most people blame the insurer because they didn't read the fine print or the policy, KNOW what your buying, then if the insurer knocks you back and you feel its unjust and is within the policy, then you have legal recourse, but would have to be an insurance company that is small and dodgy, suffice to say, stick with the bigger ones.

A lot us need an electro microscope,to even see the wording on a majority of these policies.55

2 hours ago, Thaidream said:

Agree completely-  Most Western countries fund their Healthcare though working citizens paying a percentage of their salary to their Governments.  These citizens should be covered no matter where they travel or reside .  Citizens have already paid into the system.

Wow, you may be on to something with this  idea. Maybe your former home country can also finance, in your new country of abode, your rent, groceries, beer, toilet paper and movies as well as health insurance....... Brilliant idea matey. Don't stop thinking optimistically !!!

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

I doubt you can ever get cover for that. ???? 

I could get cover!  I've been covered since I've moved here 15 years ago, but paying the policy never used it for getting sick and being admitted into the hospital only once for an accident which covered outpatient 10,000 baht.

The premiums no matter who covered me reason I moved was to get the best bang for the baht but as you get older like into the 60's even worse 65 plus the premium get to be a bit ridiculous. This year Pacific Cross took over my policy although I haven't made a claim they wanted double 60,000 for the same police 1 million baht coverage and wanted me to take a physical at Bangkok that just kind of broke the camels back for me although if nothing wrong they would reimburse the cost of the examine up to 8000 baht so being <deleted> I declined the offer.

I also through an Expat club have a good friend same age, no problems being covered by AXA the past 3 years with a 1 million baht policy this year they decided to reduced the coverage maximum for 400,000 baht but decided to charge the same price 32,000 baht as they have done for the 1 million policy.

It seem like it is some type of master plan to rip us off!  After I decline, through another expat club they came up with a policy I'm considering, the coverage is for 3 million baht and up, cost is like 60,000 baht a year you can reduce through a number of selection of taking a deductible for example if you take the 25,000 deductible your premium drops 25%. The big catch for me being 68 now in two years that same coverage 3 million 70-75 most likely jumps to 100,000 Baht a year but of course if I increase the deductible to 100,000 baht coverage goes down to something like 68,000.  Of course this company wants you to take a physical and I fully understand many won't get coverage due to pre-existing unless something unexpected pop up even at my age I believe I can qualify?

It is a mind field living here decision decision, gamble or not to gamble?????

7 hours ago, friendphil said:

I BELIEVE that you're way off on the 2-3 beers per day cost of insurance.  And at that age, when I lived in Thailand, it simply was not available, at least through Thai providers, and the farang provider options that were available were simply out of reach of most farangs living in Thailand. 

You buy travel insurance in your home country when you go on a holiday. I think you are talking about health insurance,

6 hours ago, Presnock said:

For those talking about insurance in Thailand....I am 73 so I am well aware of cost of a thai insurance co for HEALTH insurance, thus I maintain my US insurer for my health insurance needs if I to need it and have been informed that in 2020 for their clients overseas, there is no deductible!  but as mentioned by several, ACCIDENT insurance (which I also have here in Thailand with a Thai agency - Muang Thai Insurance co. and at 73 it costs me 3400 baht per year.  This covers ANY ACCIDENT, not for health insurance.  But, it is not that much more expensive to add a 100,000 or more to the basic coverage which I think mine is either 300 or 400 thousand at my age, younger people can get the accident insurance for even less!  The hospitals for coverage (that accept it) are the top hospitals in Chiang Mai - we usually use Bangkok Hospital because of location.  The coverage for any accident my family has had (bitten by cat so rabies series after cleaning etc at hospital), broken finger, broken toe, back sprain with muscle spasms and all treatment was paid for by the insurance with absolutely no problem or delay.  All should at least have this insurance!

Thank you,I have just taken a look at what you have mentioned,I'm very impressed and considering purchasing a years worth,the only part I see that could be an out for the insurance cover is the 'Martial law' part,which Thailand does have a habit of being in that state,insurance company's do tend to use any excuse to not pay,and this could be a good one for a get out for them at the wrong time.

54 minutes ago, NightSky said:

I bet almost all the people posting on this thread claiming they have the high ground because they have the sense to buy insurance have yet to experience an insurance claim process themselves?

Here's what I mean..

There is a good reason many people don't buy insurance and I cant blame them. The insurance companies hire people to find ways NOT to pay you out at your most vulnerable time.

The exceptions and clauses are ridiculous for many and even if you think you are safe there is always time in the future to get one of those 'pre existing conditions' that will tie you into the policy you have now for life as you will no longer be covered or accepted elsewhere.

If the Thai system allowed people to pay into the Social System or if insurance companies actually paid out and had no restrictions at affordable prices these stories wouldn't be applicable.

I hope the guy recovers well.

Spot on,as with most insurance company's now as you say they have a private company scrutinizing ever claim hoping to find  'T' not crossed,or,an 'I' not dotted, I have experienced this when back in England when making my first small claim after many years of paying for the insurance cover.

1 hour ago, Travelerusa40 said:

If you all read the article the man is looking to go back to his country in his current medical condition. No standard insurance will cover this. If he has been living in Thailand he does not qualify for travel because he is living not traveling. Travel insurance is good for a few months then it very expensive. 

If he want to be repatriated back to his home country under his current medical conditions This is special Airmed Evac insurance. Depending on your condition it is $500 to $800 usd. 

So, my take on the article is not regular insurance in which most expat have but Emergency Medical Evacuation Insurance. Yes, Travel insurance covers this but this guy is a long term expat “Not a tourist on short stay”. 

I don't know about US insurance but UK tourist insurance generally includes repatriation costs. Maybe different on the other side of the pond.

8 hours ago, jastheace said:

i will not cop any slack for your opinion at all.

I do hope beyond the story the thought about insurance, even his home country that is about 250 CND. but hazardous pursuits such as this guy was doing would not be covered.

biggest soz to all concerned. hope recover canuck.   

Guess they would accuse him of trying to pull an insurance scam of some sort yes??

2 hours ago, Gerrit1944 said:

Vancouver

Just for all posters. Dan has a heart condition and other medical problems which does not give him travel insurance coverage. Knowing that he always had $10,000 aside in case sth happened while in Thailand. Bad luck strikes. Do not say he was not prepared or didn't measures. 

As I said, it's sad and now knowing he had a heart condition and other medical problems makes it worse, that said, I have a heart condition and have health cover which also covers my pre-existing heart condition and medivac, all for 60,000 baht a year with increments, suffice to say $10k doesn't get you much in Thailand.

The above said and as harsh as it sounds, hopefully one day people will learn, if you can't get cover and if you don't have at least $50k in the bank as self insurance, you shouldn't be here or travel, just my opinion.

Hope he gets back to where he wants to be and gets better, very sad for his Thai wife if she hasn't got citizenship in Canada.

I agree about having insurance.

But Thailand not owing anything.

Many expats who retire here, get married to a Thai, raise Thai children for there education, feed and cloth.

Build homes 

All that money comes from there own countries.

A big win for Thailand.

Think about it 

17 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

I don't know about US insurance but UK tourist insurance generally includes repatriation costs. Maybe different on the other side of the pond.

Indeed it does as per the attached screenshot of my UK travel insurance policy, and not something I'd be comfortable without.

1602793806_Travelinsurance.png.874dc5a948a0e07ccdac55fc985d209b.png

2 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

Strange as it may seem to you, some people have enough money to self insure.

Not strange to me at all, I did self unsure when I first came here 4 years ago and I was knocked back by two insurers who wouldn't cover my pre-existing heart condition, a couple of years later I tried again when I allowed my anger to subside, I then found a broker who found me an insurer who would take my pre-existing condition on, that said, if you mean you have a minimum $50k in a bank account for self insuring purposes, it's a start.

I have much more than that, not boasting, but to bring you into the picture, i.e. the insurance I have is for 1.2 mil USD, but I will work it out in AUD as its easier for me, i.e. the % I pay per year versus the coverage is 0.25% based on 1.2 mil AUD, now me paying 60,000 baht per year for that insurance ($3k AUD) is far better than me potentially forking out the unknown, e.g. up to $500,000 AUD or up to $1,000,000 AUD or plus, plus, plus, in the event of an accident or me requiring elective surgery and or medivac.

In other words, what is the point of me self insuring, by self insuring most people refer to it as saving the amount on what they would pay to the insurer per year, it's madness unless you have a choice, e.g. you have the backup funds, minimum $50k and or cannot get insurance, (no choice).

Sure the insurance company gets $3K AUD from me annually, and yes I could self insure, but how long would it take me to build it up to a level that I was comfortable with, and while I am aging and have a pre-existing condition.

To break it down further, it is very very feasible for me to let my nest egg work for me through investments to pay for my health insurance, that's why it's called insurance, e.g. insurance vs risk.

It's a win/win for me and the family, i.e. I have peace of mind if something happens to me should I require hospitalisation, and the family will not be burdened with having to use the nest egg in an emergency for me, which is there for them when I am gone.

$3k a year x 10 years is $30k @ 20.50 baht per AUD 615,000 baht, not a lot of surgery for that kind of money, could happen in year 1 or 2 which would put you out of pocket, or if you had surgery and it cost you a mil, your out of pocket 385,000 baht, still not good math. 

In the event that you didn't need surgery, your up 615,000 baht and would want to hope with costs rising the money you have keeps up with the rise in costs, ever heard the saying, "can't take it with you", might as well enjoy it, well this is my enjoyment, knowing I am covered.

1 hour ago, heybuz said:

A lot us need an electro microscope,to even see the wording on a majority of these policies.55

That's why I download the policy and magnify the wording.

More than one way to shear a sheep as the saying goes. 

4 hours ago, meechai said:

You dont buy travel insurance in Thailand of your visiting Thailand.

You buy it in your home country before leaving

Not necessarily.

Indeed, I bought my main travel-insurance policy in my home-country, and it covers all my trips for a full year.  However, I am only covered for trips lasting up to 6 months, after that I need to return to my home-country for a minimum of 2 weeks, before my next trip will be covered again for max 6 months.

But when staying in Thailand longer than 6 months, I cover the 'non-insured period' with an on-the-fly travel-insurance policy for the exact number of days, until I return to my home-country (which is at least once a year, therefore travel-insurance - which includes re-patriation when necessary - being the perfect solution for me).

8 hours ago, Presnock said:

For those talking about insurance in Thailand....I am 73 so I am well aware of cost of a thai insurance co for HEALTH insurance, thus I maintain my US insurer for my health insurance needs if I to need it and have been informed that in 2020 for their clients overseas, there is no deductible!  but as mentioned by several, ACCIDENT insurance (which I also have here in Thailand with a Thai agency - Muang Thai Insurance co. and at 73 it costs me 3400 baht per year.  This covers ANY ACCIDENT, not for health insurance.  But, it is not that much more expensive to add a 100,000 or more to the basic coverage which I think mine is either 300 or 400 thousand at my age, younger people can get the accident insurance for even less!  The hospitals for coverage (that accept it) are the top hospitals in Chiang Mai - we usually use Bangkok Hospital because of location.  The coverage for any accident my family has had (bitten by cat so rabies series after cleaning etc at hospital), broken finger, broken toe, back sprain with muscle spasms and all treatment was paid for by the insurance with absolutely no problem or delay.  All should at least have this insurance!

What us provider do you use and how much a year if you don't mind I'm 62 you can message me

I really don’t understand why you would risk not having travel insurance especially at his age just crazy.They family should set up a go fund pageI have seen this many times Let the local press at home know people are so kind they might raise the money that way.I wish him well.

13 minutes ago, jastheace said:

climbing a ladder is a risk. chance of falling is a hazard. maintenance work a pursuit.

Couldn't agree more.  What the casual observer considers non-hazardous and what an insurer considers non-hazardous are two entirely separate matters.  The insurer will almost certainly define scaling a ladder as reckless.  Seeing as they hold the purse strings then I'll desist from climbing ladders.

3 hours ago, crankshaft said:

Im 66 from Canada...reasonable good health...here for 120 days... insurance is 525b a day times 120 days equal 63000b...that my friends is a big expense, unless you are rich, which i am not...this will probably be my last trip out of Canada...

Check out WorldNomads > For Canadian of 64 years of age, 120 days travel-insurance would cost approx 740 CAD (that's less than 17.000 THB).

Over 65 years of age you cannot get 'instant' quote, but their website indicates you can mail them for a quote fitting your age.

3 hours ago, CGW said:

No matter what insurance you have I doubt many of us would be able to get flown back "home" ?

I am "resident" here like many, my home address is Thailand, why would any insurance company fly me to another country at their expense?

If I am taken ill in another country my insurance would repatriate me to Thailand - Not my home country!

Travel-insurance in UK and Europe typically includes re-patriation and emergency aid. 

Check out an on-line and  on-the-fly travel-insurance company (e.g. WorldNomads).  You fill in your country of residence (the home-country where you want to be flown back to when needed) and the country you are staying (Thailand).  Cost for such a policy is surprisingly well-affordable.

3 hours ago, Travelerusa40 said:

So, my take on the article is not regular insurance in which most expat have but Emergency Medical Evacuation Insurance. Yes, Travel insurance covers this but this guy is a long term expat “Not a tourist on short stay”. 

Travel-insurance is not necessary limited to short-stays.

Some travel-insurance policies cover periods up to 6 months or even full-year (or longer).

3 hours ago, Travelerusa40 said:

Yes, Travel insurance covers this but this guy is a long term expat “Not a tourist on short stay”. 

Are you sure about that?  The article states that he regularly visits his wife in LOS.  How do you know that he wasn't on a short stay as I can't find anything in the various articles that confirms he intended to stay long-term.  That he comes and goes suggests he may well have been covered by travel insurance had he purchased it.  

3 hours ago, CGW said:

No matter what insurance you have I doubt many of us would be able to get flown back "home" ?

I am "resident" here like many, my home address is Thailand, why would any insurance company fly me to another country at their expense?

If I am taken ill in another country my insurance would repatriate me to Thailand - Not my home country!

That's the difference between tourist – and a travel insurance with repatriation – and being resident expat here with a health insurance. When expat, this is your home; and if you travel to your former home country you might need a travel insurance, with repatriation to your home in Thailand.

I do – need a travel insurance – as I'm not covered anymore in my former home country by the government health plan, not being a resident there anymore.

20 minutes ago, khunPer said:

That's the difference between tourist – and a travel insurance with repatriation – and being resident expat here with a health insurance. When expat, this is your home; and if you travel to your former home country you might need a travel insurance, with repatriation to your home in Thailand.

Just get a health insurance with repatriation, I have had it for the last forty years, never had a "travel insurance".

4 minutes ago, CGW said:

Just get a health insurance with repatriation, I have had it for the last forty years, never had a "travel insurance".

As resident in Thailand, and repatriation to your former home country?

3 minutes ago, khunPer said:

As resident in Thailand, and repatriation to your former home country?

Thailand, which has been my home for the past thirty years, sure you would need a separate policy if you wanted to go back to your home country? Be a strange option to include in health insurance, I doubt many would want to go back to their home country.

Actually all the policies I have had have a medi-vac clause that will transport you to the nearest place with good medical facilities first - after you will be repatriated to your home, as an example if I was in China initial medi-vac would be to Hong Kong for treatment dependant on severity of "illness"

Everyone living overseas should be a member of MedJet Assist medivac service or similar service. They will medivac you to YOUR choice of location on your terms not just the closest facility as some insurances do. 

https://medjetassist.com/medjetassist

For less than $300 USD annually (75+ yo can qualify for a Diamond subscription for a bit more and AARP (America) offers a nice discount if you are an AARP member, which is dirt cheap. 

All for little more than a few beers a month  or for those who partake, a few girlies a month.  It’s crazy and dangerous NOT to have it. 

Archived