Chiang Mai TM30, again

Wandr

A visit to Chiang Mai Immigration yesterday produced somewhat different results than I had expected, and not unpleasant ones.

This was to update the TM30 after a visit to various parts of Thailand. But I was informed that after visits to places within Thailand, no update is necessary upon returning home (if the address remains the same).

I was under the impression that this was one of the main issues in the TM30 uproar of a few months ago, the necessity of having to report one's address upon returning. And that the matter was being reviewed by the government. Is this a change, or just a whim on the part of the immigration official, I wonder? To be safe, I asked two persons there and both affirmed this policy. To be safer, I requested them to update anyway, since I was already there.

They did say that if I was staying at someone's house when traveling then reporting was necessary by the person I was staying with. There is no change in this.

Some provincial immigration offices have required reporting whenever the person is away from his/her TM30 registered address for more than 24 hours but CM Immigration has required updating only upon returning to your TM30 registered address upon re-entry into the country (if returning to a new address, then a new TM30 has to be filed).  For example, if a CM resident takes a holiday for a week in Phuket (regardless if in a hotel or a friend's house), no updating is required; however, as you noted, the hotel or friend are required to do a TM30 filing due to your presence.   

40 minutes ago, Wandr said:

They did say that if I was staying at someone's house when traveling then reporting was necessary by the person I was staying with.

Did they say you had to get a copy of that report and put it in your passport like the other TM30 reports and updates?

I was in CM Immigration 2 days ago and a European was being told there was no need to report to immigration every time you go from one province to another.  When I asked if there was a page on their website which reiterated this statement they just shrugged their shoulders so it could be each regional immigration will interpret the rules differently so we are still in the dark until someone puts something into writing for us.

14 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

To save face...they just quietly resend their former position on TM-30s...

You hit the nail on the head, too late, always after the horses have bolted do they then try to fix things, instead of thinking things out carefully, always wanting to climb the promotion ladder for more money, without thinking of the consequences of their own stupid actions.

I will be checking with my local IO next month, no doubt they will say only when you come back from overseas.

4 hours ago, Dante99 said:

Did they say you had to get a copy of that report and put it in your passport like the other TM30 reports and updates?

No, nothing of the sort.

When I was dismissive about the idea of reporting when staying with a friend a couple of days she seemed to understand and shrugged it off herself.

I was there a month back for the same reason, but no one said anything about not having to report.

was under the impression that this was one of the main issues in the TM30 uproar of a few months ago, the necessity of having to report one's address upon returning. 

It was NEVER the case in Chiang Mai, they've always since they started enforcing the law in mid-2016 only required updating if you've been outside the country. Seemingly some people are unable to tell the difference between Bangkok and Chiang Mai. 

3 hours ago, lordblackader said:

It was NEVER the case in Chiang Mai, they've always since they started enforcing the law in mid-2016 only required updating if you've been outside the country. Seemingly some people are unable to tell the difference between Bangkok and Chiang Mai. 

Nope.. at the very start they said it was every 24h.. 

Archived