Court tells banks to hand Trump financial records to House Democrats

webfact

4 hours ago, AussieBob18 said:

I have no intention of entering into a debate with someone who has no understanding of legal definitions. 

But seeing you asked so nicely - Where is that Law? Do you have a copy? Link and Reference?

Gotta go - will read/respond later.

If you had read the Vox article, you would have found that link

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/6103

Incredible. In many countries, it is the law that the president or the elected head of the state must disclose his entire wealth and debt positions. The goal here is to ensure the independence of the head of the state. That he can not be bought or bribed and to exclude personal enrichment in office. 

That's a matter of course.

That here DT is so reluctant, leaves open only the assumption that he has to hide dirt. He did not understand the dignity of his presidential appointment. 

To be a role model and to be the president of all US Americans is obviously not his intention.

9 hours ago, Credo said:

It is already the law.   The House Ways and Means Committee the power to request tax returns from the Treasury Department for review in closed session.  Trump has decided to ignore that law.

Yes, the law gives Ways & Means the power to request tax returns.

And, the law gives the President process to deny turning them over. 

CNN will have a copy ten minutes after the committee gets it. 

The IRS has audited him any number of times, he were cheating we’d have heard about it by now.

27 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

Incredible. In many countries, it is the law that the president or the elected head of the state must disclose his entire wealth and debt positions. The goal here is to ensure the independence of the head of the state. That he can not be bought or bribed and to exclude personal enrichment in office. 

That’s not the goal here. 

The goal here is to release it to the press such that they can pour through it and publicize every deduction and anything else that can be spun to make him look bad. 

36 minutes ago, mogandave said:

That’s not the goal here. 

The goal here is to release it to the press such that they can pour through it and publicize every deduction and anything else that can be spun to make him look bad. 

Trump, running for re-election in 2020, has fought hard to keep his financial and tax records private. He broke with tradition by not releasing his tax returns as a candidate in 2016 and as president.

A 2017 disclosure form showed that Trump had at least $130 million of liabilities to the bank.

Lawmakers have said the requests are part of a wider investigation into money laundering and foreign influence over U.S. politics.

That sounds quite questionable. There should stand the president after all in the first row, and enlighten this.

But it's just the opposite. DT obscures and hinders any enlightenment. As a private individual, it would be his right, but not in his capacity as President of the United States.

3 hours ago, mogandave said:

Yes, the law gives Ways & Means the power to request tax returns.

And, the law gives the President process to deny turning them over. 

CNN will have a copy ten minutes after the committee gets it. 

The IRS has audited him any number of times, he were cheating we’d have heard about it by now.

The legal system in the US gives the President the right to challenge releasing his tax returns.  So far the legal system has ruled against Trump every time.

Your paranoia about the intent of Congress is pure speculation stated as fact.  That's not unusual among Trump supporters.

How many times has Trump been audited?  What was the scope of these audits?  What were the results?  If you can't provide sources, don't post nonsense.

9 hours ago, Sujo said:

I too think dems going too fast. Wait a week and trump will have done something else illegal. Lots of pressure on giuliano now, lots more to come out.

I've been expecting DT to peeve each ethnic group, and he's ticking them off one box at a time. 

He's weaving his own rope, but I can't have faith in the election, he and his friends are hard at work setting things up.

On 12/4/2019 at 6:15 PM, scoutman360 said:

The lower liberal Obama courts always rule against, him. Then the higher courts overrule the lower courts. Sounds crazy, but it is what it is.

This ruling has absolutely nothing to do with Obama.... nor was it a “liberal” court.

Oh wait.... Maybe they are never trumpers... that’s usually the next bit of BS that pops it’s head up when something doesn’t go the kings way, right?

On 12/4/2019 at 8:18 AM, webfact said:

Newman was appointed by President Jimmy Carter, a Democrat. Livingston was appointed by President George W. Bush, a Republican. Newman was joined in the ruling by Judge Peter Hall, a Bush appointee.

3 hours ago, heybruce said:

The legal system in the US gives the President the right to challenge releasing his tax returns.  So far the legal system has ruled against Trump every time.

Your paranoia about the intent of Congress is pure speculation stated as fact.  That's not unusual among Trump supporters.

How many times has Trump been audited?  What was the scope of these audits?  What were the results?  If you can't provide sources, don't post nonsense.

The only source is Trump himself! Lol!

9 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

That's a matter of course.

That here DT is so reluctant, leaves open only the assumption that he has to hide dirt. He did not understand the dignity of his presidential appointment. 

To be a role model and to be the president of all US Americans is obviously not his intention.

He met the  tax requirements to be a POTUS ,which is none!

Presidential candidates are legally required to file a “Personal Financial Disclosure” ,

https://www.robertreeveslaw.com/blog/candidates-tax-returns/

Since he met the requirements,financial disclosure,  IMOP who cares what his taxes look like or his kids,for that matter!

If dems want to change or pass a law to require  submitting taxes then get it passed!

2 hours ago, riclag said:

He met the  tax requirements to be a POTUS ,which is none!

Presidential candidates are legally required to file a “Personal Financial Disclosure” ,

https://www.robertreeveslaw.com/blog/candidates-tax-returns/

Since he met the requirements,financial disclosure,  IMOP who cares what his taxes look like or his kids,for that matter!

If dems want to change or pass a law to require  submitting taxes then get it passed!

So you don't care if he is financially tied to someone or another country? 

10 minutes ago, stevenl said:

So you don't care if he is financially tied to someone or another country? 

In what way? Aren’t you financially tied to someone and or another country? I know I am. 

I think you can make an argument that everyone’s tax and financial records should be public record, but I don’t think it fair to pick and choose. 

If he’s taking huge payments from Putin, do you think he would declare them on his taxes? 

10 minutes ago, mogandave said:

In what way? Aren’t you financially tied to someone and or another country? I know I am. 

I think you can make an argument that everyone’s tax and financial records should be public record, but I don’t think it fair to pick and choose. 

If he’s taking huge payments from Putin, do you think he would declare them on his taxes? 

No, I am not, no debts anywhere.

But I am not president of the USA, in a position where my decisions influence the whole world.

Your final remark shows wilful ignorance.

7 minutes ago, stevenl said:

No, I am not, no debts anywhere.

But I am not president of the USA, in a position where my decisions influence the whole world.

Your final remark shows wilful ignorance.

Why resort to making things up? I said nothing dents. 

If you have a bank account, a job or a contract in Thailand you have ties to a foreign country. 

So is the thinking that Putin (or some-such) loaned him money so that once he became President they could extort him? 

Again, what kind of connection are you talking about?

15 hours ago, candide said:

If you had read the Vox article, you would have found that link

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/6103

You read that link - it is about the Tax Codes and a lot about the disclosure of tax information obtained.

There is nothing that states it is a Law for the House to subpeona the POTUS tax records, nor that the POTUS must provide them.

See my previous comment.  Wasting my time with you lot here (and anywhere).  Have a great day/life - enjoy 2020.

42 minutes ago, stevenl said:

I think his taxes will show 2 things. 1. An enormous debt to Deutsche Bank; and 2. He is far from as rich as he claims to be. The latter would have been important before the elections, not much so now.

And assuming these things are true, what business is it of the public? 

I believe most every large real estate company has a large amount of debt. Would you expect a company to pay cash for a resort or hotel? 

I also assume he is not worth what he has said, Forbes puts him at ~$3B, down ~ 30% from  when he took office.

6 hours ago, AussieBob18 said:

You read that link - it is about the Tax Codes and a lot about the disclosure of tax information obtained.

There is nothing that states it is a Law for the House to subpeona the POTUS tax records, nor that the POTUS must provide them.

See my previous comment.  Wasting my time with you lot here (and anywhere).  Have a great day/life - enjoy 2020.

It states what applies to any citizen. Do you have a source that says that the President is not subject to this law?

21 hours ago, candide said:

It states what applies to any citizen. Do you have a source that says that the President is not subject to this law?

Do you have a source (not an opinion piece) that says the President is not within his rights to fight the release in court? 

Archived