Big Oud in Big Joke style bust - digital currency boiler room raided in Bangkok

webfact

Big Oud in Big Joke style bust - digital currency boiler room raided in Bangkok

1pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Immigration chief Lt-Gen Sompong Chingduang busted a digital currency boiler room in Bangkok yesterday in a raid more reminiscent of his fallen from grace predecessor Lt-Gen Surachate Hakpan. 

The one time chief known as Big Joke, now shuffling paper at the PM's office, was famous for lightning swoops and high profile busts and now his replacement called Big Oud is taking a leaf out of his book.

The TV cameras and microphones were on hand as Lt-Gen Sompong and his men raided an office of Huobi Global set up on the 9th floor of the Galaxy building on Nonsi Road in Yannawa, Bangkok.

They caught 24 Chinese red handed in front of more than 60 computers with 420 phones scattered all over the place. 

The company trades in Bitcoin, Ethereum and Litecoin - all digital currencies. It is 51% Thai owned in Thailand.

The Lt-Gen explained how the workers had come to Thailand and once a treat was over they were held virtually like prisoners. 

Most arrived in October and were taken on a weeklong trip to Pattaya that was great fun. Then they had their passports taken away from them and they were made to work from 9 am to 10 pm every day buying and selling digital currencies. 

All meals were prepared for them by Chinese maids.

The 24 employees were paid 20-30,000 baht a month plus bonuses for recruiting new customers. 

Sompong said that the company's offices were first set up in March and moved around every three months. They paid high rents - up to a million baht a month. 

Daily News reported that now immigration plan to go after those behind the operation.

Thaivisa notes that the arrest of the masterminds are rarely as high profile as the minions, even if they occur.

Sompong warned the Thai public not to be fooled by businesses offering high returns for small investments. 

Huobi Global are described online as  the "largest Chinese exchange founded in 2013 in Beijing (that) offers better liquidity, more rewards...". 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-12-04

8 minutes ago, webfact said:

Sompong warned the Thai public not to be fooled by businesses offering high returns for small investments.

They won't listen, 10% returns a month promise will

draw them in.

regards Worgeordie

" The Lt-Gen explained how the workers had come to Thailand and once a treat was over they were held virtually like prisoners.  " So now Thailand will feel sorry for them and Thailand will give them citizenship as Thais often get in other nations when they are found forced to work like prisoners. Of course, I am joking. Thailand is a taker.

Odd... Huobi Global was already planning to have an office in Thailand and this probably explain why the company is 51% Thai owned. Not sure about the high yield scam since Huobi is simply known as a cryptocurrencies exchange. My guess is they got issues with some thai owned competitor. 

2 hours ago, Tayaout said:

Odd... Huobi Global was already planning to have an office in Thailand and this probably explain why the company is 51% Thai owned. Not sure about the high yield scam since Huobi is simply known as a cryptocurrencies exchange. My guess is they got issues with some thai owned competitor. 

Maybe I need reading glasses but the media release talks about this business but has not said what law they have violated?

2 hours ago, Tayaout said:

if in doubt, ALWAYS assume bad journalism here.

if you google translate the source: 

A group of 24 Chinese accused were talking to the Chinese on a computer screen. Located in a totally modified office. Open the Huobi Global website to view various currency exchange trading platforms. Including mobile phones lined up the table The officer therefore showed himself to be arrested. Confiscated 61 notebooks, 420 mobile phones... 

They seemed to have been simply trading on Huobi, and the company mentioned is a different one.

"Big JOKE STYLE"...........

We Don't hear much about 'Big Joke' anymore.......... But, It does appear that he left behind a bit of a legend...... I 'kinda' liked him when he was in the headlines often..... I'm still wondering what he did to 'upset' the 'higher ups' ?   At that time I heard something about he was critical of some of the Junta policies.....

Maybe that is why he got 'his wings clipped' and 'de-moted'.....

On 12/4/2019 at 4:23 AM, observer90210 said:

Despite the ambient mockery against the new Big Joke, good thing to get rid of the Chinese vermine criminal gangs who are trying to conquer the world....

Every so often the image of the RTP is so bad they need a good news story to "restore confidence".

Archived