Any issue bringing MANY electronics gifts from usa?

creative1000

I'm considering bringing back some good quality & good price electronics in my carryon luggage from the states. I'll need to buy 5 of the same model, (one for each Thai family member). I'm more than happy to pay tax. These are 100% gifts (no reimbursements)

As I'm currently on a Non-Ed Thai Language Education Visa, I hope customs doesn't think I'm trying to start a business. Is there any reason to be worried? Or am I overthinking it?

• Haha 1

I would not do myself as it indeed appears you are importing with 5 new items the same and customs really not designed for such importation at airport.  They are going to start x-ray of all incoming baggage in the near future so if in operation would make some inspectors day.  

Another factor to consider is can these items be 220v 50Hz powered?

Although agree US prices are among the best in the world for many such things you might check Aliexpress for similar items direct from China which can normally be sent here without duty issues.

Your (sometimes dubious) visa status does not help matters.  

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

They are going to start x-ray of all incoming baggage in the near future so if in operation would make some inspectors day. 

That appears to be hold luggage while the OP has said the goods will be in hand luggage.  Nevertheless there is still the chance they are X-Rayed going through the green channel which means they still risk being detected and treated as an import with all that entails.

Gifts up to a total value of THB 10,000 can be brought in free of duty. There was some talk recently about increasing this and I don't know if it has happened.

The OP mentioned that he is willing to pay import duty, if necessary. This can be quite high for electrical and electronic items. Best check this out beforehand.

Another detail: when import duty is due, it is assessed at CIF (cost, insurance and freight) value. For goods brought personally into the country, customs has been known to calculate the freight at 1% of first class air fare per kilogramme gross weight.

First it is voltage!  second it is voltage! 3rd it is voltage!  made in the U.S. it really isn't any longer?  if you haven't gotten it yet, then don't pack it together in one piece of luggage unless you have no choice spread it around and take the batteries out if provided.

• Like 1

I agree with the replies indicating that Thai Customs might assume you are planning to resell the 5 items.  Personally, I wouldn't do that, but I would and have brought in products for my personal use,

Regarding electrical voltage and frequency.  Almost all mobile devices (notebook computers, tablets, mobile phones, camera battery chargers, etc.) have universal power supplies that will work in Thailand and most other countries.  If it says, "100 - 240V~50/60 Hz", it will work here.  However, TVs, coffee makers, toasters, hair dryers, clocks, etc., will not work in Thailand, and could present a fire hazard as they are designed to operation on lower voltage.  The difference in frequency (50 Hz vs. 60 Hz) usually doesn't matter except with timing devices, such as clocks.

With regard to "Made in China", brand name products sold in the USA comply with the brand name specs, for instance iPhones are made in China, BUT they comply with Apple specs.  Whereas, Chinese brand products vary widely in quality in my personal experience.  So I'm not concerned when buying brand name products made in China, but tend to be cautious with Chinese brands.  To be fair, some Chinese brands are now good quality at attractive prices. 

Hope that helps. Cheers

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, donmuang37 said:

The difference in frequency (50 Hz vs. 60 Hz) usually doesn't matter except with timing devices, such as clocks.

But it makes a huge difference with any AC motor (not just clocks) using device - they will run slow and likely not do the job intended and/or overheat due to the lower cost construction for 60Hz.  

I think your question was focused on whether or not five of the same items would look like a business to the inspectors.  Of course, anything might happen, but my one recent experience with Customs at the Bangkok airport was pretty relaxed.  I arrived with over $1,500 USD in phones and a camera for family gifts.  Like you, I was willing to pay the duty to avoid having the items confiscated and having a sad story to tell about that.

The custom workers in the inspection lane tried a couple of times to send me through express and I had to insist that I wanted to declare some items.  I opened my luggage and showed the items to them.  They asked me for a total value, took my word for it, and I paid  the duty with a credit card.

Not exactly your situation, but I think as long as you are up front about it you shouldn't have a problem.  It might help to have some information available (names, relationship) on who will be receiving the gifts, but I might be overthinking it.

Just make sure you declare the items on the customs declarations form you must fill out before landing/immigration.  If you say that you have nothing to declare and try to exit via the "nothing to declare lane" (and get stopped) you will have a big problem. 

I recall recently someone got caught with 10 new cell phones in his bag and did not declare them.  He was arrested on the spot at the airport.  Like others have said, make sure the items will be compatible with the voltage here and it may be cheaper to just buy the items here (rather than bring them and pay the customs duty).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

My eyeballs are spinning at an alarming rate.  Glad it got sorted, nonetheless. 

Has TV announced "Sarcasm of the Year Award" ?

I only know of POTY. I'll keep an eye and consider you top on my list for first-round-voting.

• Haha 1

I bring....a laptop, iPad, 2 iPhones, galaxy tablet, battery’s and cords, and a couple watches. About half the time I get a secondary screening at the Thai airport after the bag goes through X-ray. ????

I heard from  a school director about this USA couple  that had to pay 2000 baht bringing  in several boxes of new shoes for the entire rural school.

1 hour ago, Doctorbu said:

I bring....a laptop, iPad, 2 iPhones, galaxy tablet, battery’s and cords, and a couple watches. About half the time I get a secondary screening at the Thai airport after the bag goes through X-ray. ????

Did you claim this or since it is what you being to use on your trip did you just wing it?  7 trips so far never had to stop at the entrance to Thailand.   I wont be bringing a dozen coach purses again.   That probably was stupid. 

10 hours ago, MeePeeMai said:

Just make sure you declare the items on the customs declarations form you must fill out before landing/immigration...

When did you last get this customs declaration form? Flying Thai Airways from Italy, I haven't got it for many years, only the arrival card.