Hugging in Thailand

fvw53

went to a friends retirement/birthday an the weekend and their daughter who is late teens came over and gave me a hug on arrival and when leaving, I was a bit surprised to be honest. In Australia hugging friends/family is common place but here not so much, shaking hands has been very common here and I find many women want to shake your hand after meeting you, think it is the older ones that avoid any contact with you and wai only

• Like 1

Over the years things have changed in the way they meet and greet all my wife's family and friends like to give me a hug and every night I go to the bar one girl gives me a big hug, I remember Thai men never shuck hands even thats changed

• Like 1

I saw a documentary on BBC about Thai maids not having a good life - though nothing seemed out of the ordinary to me and the interviewer had no idea of Thai culture [as if hotel maids anywhere have a great life] - - but this Brit lady was walking around wai-ing children?? 

maybe the elderly lady was the doctor's mom? though you said it was an advertisement... so it just sounds like a sales pitch... 

• Haha 1

Here out in the sticks I can hardly remember any hugging except with children.

Shake hand hesitantly accepted.

Recently shook hand with a doctor only to realize afterwards what stupid thing I have done.

Any kissing: absolute no no.

Sawat-dee, nodding and a smile, that's it.

But as culture changes: a mate tells me, his wife in Bangkok would do high five with mates. That would be a big laughter if I tried this here.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Hugs are only for people I know very well, such as relations or close friends.

My Thai GF hugs me all the time - for warmth. A bit cold in Chiang Rai now.

I doubt anyone in Chiang Rai would turn down a nice warm hug right now.????

On 12/4/2019 at 10:17 AM, Beggar said:

I have been living here for more than 20 years. Hugging and even shaking hands are hard to understand for me in the meantime. Alone this stupid behavior to shake perhaps very dirty hands I avoid whenever possible. I also wash my hands immediately when I come home. In all these years I haven't been sick 1 time. The situation was different when I lived in the US and in Europe. Stupid unhealthy behavior there - nothing else. 

Suppose you got one of those body rubbers, no wonder she likes me