Airpurifier buy now before the real burning season

robblok

I went a little over the top and purchased the IQAir 250, costs about 12 times more that the one you're referring too, but it's the Rolls Royce of air purifiers, i.e. hospital grade, and I am extremely satisfied with the product, especially with kids.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I went a little over the top and purchased the IQAir 250, costs about 12 times more that the one you're referring too, but it's the Rolls Royce of air purifiers, i.e. hospital grade, and I am extremely satisfied with the product, especially with kids.

Yes that one is a lot more, but i just noticed the difference in price when I bought this one with the high prices during the burning season and the one i bought. So its obviously also seasonally. 

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yes that one is a lot more, but i just noticed the difference in price when I bought this one with the high prices during the burning season and the one i bought. So its obviously also seasonally. 

Maybe at the lower end of the scale, IQAir is up there and they maintain the up there price, noting anyone looking to fork out the 60,000 or so baht should not buy one off the internet as they do not have warranty with them, i.e. it has to be purchased from an IQAir retailer, e.g. no copies.

• Like 1

My only criticism of my Xiaomi M2 is the necessity of connecting it to a Xiaomi mobile app for maximum effectiveness.

BTW, any current users of the Xiaomi air purifier who may need to buy a replacement filter need to take care when ordering one online.  Though they sell for B1000+ retail, Lazada and others have them as low as B300.  I ordered one of the cheapos and though it looked OK, it came without the necessary charcoal inner filter core.   I believe the genuine Xiaomi replacement filters do come with the inner core.  

I put the core from my old filter into the new and so far, readings in my room seem ok.  It will be interesting to see if it can keep up when the really <deleted> air comes back.

27 minutes ago, dddave said:

My only criticism of my Xiaomi M2 is the necessity of connecting it to a Xiaomi mobile app for maximum effectiveness.

Although my Xiaomi 2s air purifier is working fine and communicates with the smartphone app, the same cannot be said for other Xiaomi iot devices in my home, such as the desk lamp and induction cooker.  Both of these devices work fine, but no longer communicate with the app, which reduces their functionality.  I was happy with these products, but don't think I would buy another iot device from Xiaomi.

Edited by cmarshall
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, dddave said:

BTW, any current users of the Xiaomi air purifier who may need to buy a replacement filter need to take care when ordering one online.  Though they sell for B1000+ retail, Lazada and others have them as low as B300.  I ordered one of the cheapos and though it looked OK, it came without the necessary charcoal inner filter core.   I believe the genuine Xiaomi replacement filters do come with the inner core.  

I put the core from my old filter into the new and so far, readings in my room seem ok.  It will be interesting to see if it can keep up when the really <deleted> air comes back.

Sorry but its not clear ? where is it better to buy the xiaomi filters ?

On that subject and somewhat related to filtering or the need for it, for those that might be interested, I bought a Temtop LKC-1000S+ Air Quality Monitor Formaldehyde Detector, Air Pollution Sensor, Humidity and Temperature Meter Tester with PM2.5/PM10/HCHO/AQI/Particles/TVOC VOC/Histogram from Amazon. Great little device and easy to use if you want to test your own area and not rely on the Government-reported levels, which are generally fantasy.

Edited by Buffy Frobisher
spelling error
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Chicken George said:

This is the second Pro I've bought from this Thailand dealer. Excellent machine. Easy to buy and replace filters.

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.Zw5j2

Best price around too.

Looks like the pro is a larger version than the 2S? Is it quiet? I see the replacement filters are only 600 baht? I currently use a Samsung unit with a 6 stage filter that costs between 1600 and 4000 baht to replace, depending on whether it is generic or genuine. The size of the filter makes a huge difference, and it looks like this unit has a large filter. 

On 12/4/2019 at 10:46 AM, dddave said:

Inner charcoal filter is only for the formaldehyde edition. Anti-bacterial or "standard" version of filter don't have it. Lots of fakes on Lazada, yes. Got mine for 800-900 baht (off from 990 that they normally cost) online. Last 6 months so I'm not complaining over price, although having several around the house.

14 hours ago, rech said:

Xiaomi S2 is cheaper than the pro ? how much ? and why not buying the pro ?

S2 is a smaller one for smaller rooms, Pro is for larger spaces, and then you have Max, which uses different kind of filters. They also have a model that needs no filter replacements but it's pricy and China only. No point buying a Pro for 20m2 room.

On 12/4/2019 at 10:31 AM, 4MyEgo said:

Did you buy it in Thailand? Who sells it, and what is the cost for the unit and for replacement filters? Thanks.

10 minutes ago, Chazar said:

cant you just use  hepa  filters in your aircons?

Even if you can rig up something that fits, the pressure drop across the HEPA filter will require you to use higher speeds and therefore more power.

It is better to buy a separate purifier, a good one will be more efficient at cleaning air, use less power, and have other conveniences.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Did you buy it in Thailand? Who sells it, and what is the cost for the unit and for replacement filters? Thanks.

I purchased it from just outside of Pattaya if memory serves me, i.e. I sent IQAir head office an email asking where I could buy one in Thailand and they sent me an email reply with the details, everything was done by email and they shipped it to me, came with all the filters, I asked for delivery and insurance to be included in the price as they wouldn't budge on price, something better than nothing.

Haven't had to use it much after the guy up the road finally stopped burning that charcoal stuff on a commercial basis, i.e. when the wife finally had enough of everyone coughing, and said to the mayor, if you don't stop your cousin, then I will go all the way to the top at my farang husbands request, fortunately the mayor took her bluff and is a friend of her fathers, so no doubt he got into his ear as well ????

If I don't end up using it this burning season will probably sell it as its become an expensive piece of hardly used furniture...

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Chicken George said:

This is the second Pro I've bought from this Thailand dealer. Excellent machine. Easy to buy and replace filters.

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.Zw5j2

Best price around too.

I was concerned about this one because it states global/Chinese version and was confused which one it actually was.  Could you connect it to the app and what type of plug did it come with?

15 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I purchased it from just outside of Pattaya if memory serves me, i.e. I sent IQAir head office an email asking where I could buy one in Thailand and they sent me an email reply with the details, everything was done by email and they shipped it to me, came with all the filters, I asked for delivery and insurance to be included in the price as they wouldn't budge on price, something better than nothing.

Haven't had to use it much after the guy up the road finally stopped burning that charcoal stuff on a commercial basis, i.e. when the wife finally had enough of everyone coughing, and said to the mayor, if you don't stop your cousin, then I will go all the way to the top at my farang husbands request, fortunately the mayor took her bluff and is a friend of her fathers, so no doubt he got into his ear as well ????

If I don't end up using it this burning season will probably sell it as its become an expensive piece of hardly used furniture...

OK, please PM me if you decide to sell it. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Inner charcoal filter is only for the formaldehyde edition. Anti-bacterial or "standard" version of filter don't have it. Lots of fakes on Lazada, yes. Got mine for 800-900 baht (off from 990 that they normally cost) online. Last 6 months so I'm not complaining over price, although having several around the house.

Is the formaldehyde edition a better version to use? Does it offer the same particle protection? 

Here's a good article on the Xiaomi  2S:

https://www.richardbarrow.com/2018/03/using-the-mi-air-purifier-to-beat-the-bangkok-smog/

By the way, apparently the earlier versions (pre 2S) required a smartphone to implement many of the features; the 2S allows you to use the toggle switch on the machine to pretty much select the most important features ('tho I guess there are some features only available via smartphone access). But for codgers, who only use their smartphone for dumb phone calls, and as a paper weight, the 2S is just fine.

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Is the formaldehyde edition a better version to use? Does it offer the same particle protection? 

The outside filter from what I understand from Xiaomi is having same particle filter as standard filter, so it should work the same way. Antibacterial edition has an addition of antibacterial coating that traps and kills bacteria (like microban), and Formaldehyde edition has no antibacterial coating but instead additional active carbon filter.

• Thanks 1

On 12/6/2019 at 4:41 PM, spidermike007 said:

I noticed on Lazada if you buy the pro from the Xiaomi site, the warranty is one year. About 400 baht more. All the other dealers offer a one week warranty. Who wants a seven day warranty? Children could do better than that. 

Official shops offer 1 year. Unofficial resellers (who import them from other countries, often China) offer basically no warranty as they'd have to ship it back to China for service, so 7 days is really just to cover dead on arrival scenario. All mine are bought from official Xiaomi shops, admittedly normally more expensive than other shops but when on promotion, can get as low as 3500 baht for 2S. I don't use Pro, as each of the rooms is smaller than 30m2 so each has own 2S. Pro makes sense if your rooms are large.

• Thanks 1

I correct my earlier negative view of Xiaomi iot devices.  A few months ago the Mi Home smartfphone app broke and several devices could not be reconnected to the app reducing some functionality.  The most recent update of the app fixed the problem and now all devices are connected with all features available again.

In the meantime I went ahead bought the Xioami Air Purifier 3, which is the updated version of the 2s with 20% more capacity.  It arrived today.  Connection was very easy and it really does have much more capacity.  I had to crank up the fan on the 2s to keep the PM2.5 of the living room below 12 or so, but the 3 easily managed that on the lowest setting.   Our living room is about 32 sq. meters with a ceiling height of 2.6 m.  

Price of the 3 on Lazada was 4479 thb.  Just in time since air quality today sucks.

• Thanks 1