Leading bank messes up! Unwittingly uses offensive language to Thai speaking foreign customer

webfact

Leading bank messes up! Unwittingly uses offensive language to Thai speaking foreign customer

4pm.jpg
Thai caption: This really happened?! 

A call center employee didn't realize that a foreign customer was on the line.

And that he was perfectly able to speak and understand Thai. 

While the customer was listening they referred to his request to want to speak in English as "seuak" in Thai.

This is a largely offensive term that means to butt in or interrupt. It carries the force in English of butting in in an unwanted manner. Hardly a term that should be used to a legitimate request from a valued customer. 

The Thai media said that online comment among Thais on the issue was rife. The media that reported the story - Daily News - would not even write the word in their headline or body of their report. 

Rather like writing “S*IT” or “F*CK” they wrote เ-ือก or “*euak”

The customer explained on Pantip that they had contacted the bank's call center. They could converse in Thai after living and doing business in Thailand for more than ten years but after the bank asked for a Thai ID number to be keyed in they decided to opt for English. 

This led to the customer being transferred and the offensive term being used when a staff member did not realize they were listening in on the line. 

The bank contacted the foreigner to apologize and said that the employee had been sacked. 

The foreigner said that was not necessary, far better just to train them properly so it didn't happen again.

The bank was not named in the story. 

Thaivisa notes that this is often the case due to Thailand's strict defamation laws. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-12-04

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bank staff at my branch are clueless other than deposit and withdraw. Even a request to go in and change the ATM card which all customers got was met with mai khao jai looks and the need for a supervisor, bank letter requests get met with similar head scratching, even when I show them a copy of one. They all act like it's their first week on the job, thankfully the manager is a young guy who speaks English and knows what he's on about. Sacking in this case was too harsh, they need proper training not sacking.

7 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Bank staff at my branch are clueless other than deposit and withdraw. Even a request to go in and change the ATM card which all customers got was met with mai khao jai looks and the need for a supervisor, bank letter requests get met with similar head scratching, even when I show them a copy of one. They all act like it's their first week on the job, thankfully the manager is a young guy who speaks English and knows what he's on about. Sacking in this case was too harsh, they need proper training not sacking.

after venturing into various branches of my bank i eventually found one with a member of staff who could not only understand english but also apply a certain amount of logic an common sense to resolving issues and problems. but... when she wants to look at my accounts on her computer screen she has to call the manager out of her office to type in a password, it's bizarre. i dont know how the manager can get any work done being disturbed every few minutes to type in passwords...

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:
2 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Well, I hate it when they call me farang. I tell them in Thai that I actually have a name. The look on their face!

I have said before, "No, I'm not a piece of fruit."

Ironically, "old fruit" is still a very affectionate way of addressing someone back in Blighty. 

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

Well, I hate it when they call me farang. I tell them in Thai that I actually have a name. The look on their face!

I have said before, "No, I'm not a piece of fruit."

all one needs, is to wear the right shirt... and keep pointing to it

image.jpeg.6c5c9c954f78c651bcbaf484be35527a.jpeg 

p.s. wearing a Jack Russell TShirt made things worse...  been wearing same for years...

started off first trying to train the niece,

but quickly realise an attention span is a prerequisite.  

but the common path, was to always intro myself, as Luss

L&R&R&L headaches... 

I had a plummer at the house. Nice guy. But he insisted on calling me "Nai Farang" or "Mr Foreigner." That did annoy me. He puts it into every sentence. 

12 minutes ago, deesquared said:

I had a plummer at the house. Nice guy. But he insisted on calling me "Nai Farang" or "Mr Foreigner." That did annoy me. He puts it into every sentence. 

Got a friend who speaks good Thai and in a meeting one day one of the Thai Managers was being quite rude about him to another manager not knowing he could understand.

He answered him in English by saying  I sat ( short pause ) here and listened to your explanation and I don't really agree with you.  The guy really couldn't decide if he had been insulted or not.

2 hours ago, samsensam said:

after venturing into various branches of my bank i eventually found one with a member of staff who could not only understand english but also apply a certain amount of logic an common sense to resolving issues and problems. but... when she wants to look at my accounts on her computer screen she has to call the manager out of her office to type in a password, it's bizarre. i dont know how the manager can get any work done being disturbed every few minutes to type in passwords...

That is possibly all the manager does!

4 minutes ago, JAG said:
2 hours ago, samsensam said:

That is possibly all the manager does!

I have a piece of software that remembers my passwords. It's also called the password manager.

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

My bank manager comes to my home, when i need to do bank business.

Must be my magnetic personality, charm and being a handsome man.:cheesy:

Same here she is a stunner and has an official driver to get her to my house. A good bank manger from Bangkok bank.

3 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

If they call me farang,i call them Chinese.

When they say "we are not Chinese but Thai, i say " i dont care , i call everyone with a small nose Chinese. same same farang.

Archived