Leading bank messes up! Unwittingly uses offensive language to Thai speaking foreign customer

webfact

3 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Bank staff at my branch are clueless other than deposit and withdraw. Even a request to go in and change the ATM card which all customers got was met with mai khao jai looks and the need for a supervisor, bank letter requests get met with similar head scratching, even when I show them a copy of one. They all act like it's their first week on the job, thankfully the manager is a young guy who speaks English and knows what he's on about. Sacking in this case was too harsh, they need proper training not sacking.

IMO Most staff at bank are low intelligence. (Some ok). And lazy. 

IMO bank job is for people want to be excecutive, but not have useful brain. To lazy for hard job.

7/11 have better training, better staff! 

I waiting one time in the bank for another thing. Have spare time, one staff not busy. So I ask him how much per month for loan xxxxxx amount. 

He said “I not know.” 

So I sit down again. Look to bank website on my phone. It have calculator for loan. Easy to use. So I do it.

Then show to him. He surprise. He not know about it. BUT WORK AT THE BANK! His job!

He will be manager one day!

IMO Tanachart Bank is only bank training the staff. (But not convenient, because not many) 

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, lucjoker said:

If they call me farang,i call them Chinese.

When they say "we are not Chinese but Thai, i say " i dont care , i call everyone with a small nose Chinese. same same farang.

How do you call people in your home country with small eyes and noses? Asians I guess. For Thais it´s not to see from which country or continent you come from, so they use the word "farang", which comes from farangse what means "French". I have no problem with it if people, they don´t know me say this. 
In Chiang Mai we have a "Kad Farang" (Kad is the northern Thai word for market) with some nice Restaurants, KFC, McDonalds, bakeries, DQ, a food market and many shops. Nobody complained about this name.

4 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Only if you have Billions in the bank,otherwise its sod off don't bother us,

regards worgeordie

You are 100% on the money (no pun intended) my friend if you have millions they bow down at your feet if you have a few Baht in your account they are useless as tits on a bull.

No respect, no help, no brains, no sense just nonsense.

It seems obvious to me many of you have rather a lot of interaction with Thai people.  Not so me.  If I  go into a shop and show them a picture of my needed item they take me to it or indicate no have.  On the other hand if they spot my wife the conversation passes from me to her and I just stand there and watch!  ????

2 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

What I find deliciously ironic, is if a foreigner in the West was treated similar, then some posters here would be complaining about the foreigner not being able to speak English.... just saying ???? 

Yes, you are totally correct.

But then the staff wouldn’t all shout “Muslim”, “Frenchman!” Or the N-Word before all running to the back and hiding while pushing the junior staff member towards the customer.

You would also be surprised how many of the damn foreigners can actually understand when they are spoken to slowly and clearly. How many times have you been in a situation where you just want someone to speak to you confidently in their language and not presume you dont understand.

My bank manager is behaves like an absolute ass Who treats me like a retard, however the guy who fixes the punctures Is quite happy to sit and chat about my limited knowledge of bikes and fishing. Funny old world.

34 minutes ago, Happy Grumpy said:

As a well liked post of mine says:

"I liked Thais more, before I learned Thai."

Years ago a Thai friend said to me the more I learn Thai the more my estimation of Thai's will go down, he was right, I've been sat in a bar and many times listen to them gossip they need to realise a lot of farang can speak good Thai,

6 hours ago, SteveK said:

Going into my branch here and trying to achieve something simple is like pulling teeth. I dread it.

There’s a very low bar in Thailand for intelligence and common sense .. But prizes could be won in the street wise cute hoor category .. And sleeping and eating and doin <deleted> else .... that’s for sure 

5 hours ago, samsensam said:

After venturing into various branches of my bank I eventually found one with a member of staff who could not only understand english but also apply a certain amount of logic and common sense to resolving issues and problems. But... when she wants to look at my accounts on her computer screen she has to call the manager out of her office to type in a password, it's bizarre. I don't know how the manager can get any work done being disturbed every few minutes to type in passwords...

Sounds like the staff member should be the manager and the manager out front doing some work for a change...

After spending many years in Thailand from 1980 until 2010 i took 2 years to learn the thai language, as years went by, i would listen to thais insulting  foreigners many times in banks, and many other places, i would just bite my lip and listen, In 2010 i left Thailand, i sometimes think now maybe its better not to know or understand whats being said!!

3 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

What I find deliciously ironic, is if a foreigner in the West was treated similar, then some posters here would be complaining about the foreigner not being able to speak English.... just saying ???? 

This is indeed the case here, isn't it. It really is a signal to those who do not wish to learn Thai. I had been in Thailand a couple of years and began teaching martial arts at a newly opened gym. The secretary didn't like me at all (don't know why) and complained to the boss about my spoken Thai. Fortunately the boss didn't believe because he knew different but he didn't do anything about it. A short time later he told said secretary to order some leaflets according to his design. She did so and when she received a sample she didn't check with the boss and gave the printers the go ahead. I walked in one afternoon and saw a couple of stacks on the secretary's desk and pick up a leaflet. Almost immediately I saw a glaring error. The vowel 'า' was printed twice in succession, 'าา' in the title. The secretary had put the sample she received in the file and that contained the error too. Obviously she hadn't checked at all but too have an Englishman point out the mistake...well you can imagine.

27 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Years ago a Thai friend said to me the more I learn Thai the more my estimation of Thai's will go down, he was right, I've been sat in a bar and many times listen to them gossip they need to realise a lot of farang can speak good Thai,

I always let them think I can't understand Thai, until they screw up and say something nasty and I then reply in Thai. I simply love the aghast look on their faces and the inevitable confusion. Hasn't happened in a while though, I think I've busted every one in the nearby vicinity. It's a good sport, Thailand can be a bit boring, so a man needs a hobby.

1 hour ago, Thian said:

That's for EVERY shop/office where you have to speak to them...i don't even try it anymore. 

Lazada, K-Plus app, etc .. can't wait for self driving cars. Key to succesful living in Thailand is to minimize the contact with the natives.

2 hours ago, Yinn said:

IMO Most staff at bank are low intelligence. (Some ok). And lazy. 

IMO bank job is for people want to be excecutive, but not have useful brain. To lazy for hard job.

7/11 have better training, better staff! 

I waiting one time in the bank for another thing. Have spare time, one staff not busy. So I ask him how much per month for loan xxxxxx amount. 

He said “I not know.” 

So I sit down again. Look to bank website on my phone. It have calculator for loan. Easy to use. So I do it.

Then show to him. He surprise. He not know about it. BUT WORK AT THE BANK! His job!

He will be manager one day!

IMO Tanachart Bank is only bank training the staff. (But not convenient, because not many) 

I understand many of the sentiments behind your post. 

A agree that Tanachart is good as I have received a lot of good service from them in recent years compared to the other banks I use. I would say it is worth going out of your way to find their branches!

Rooster

12 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Lazada, K-Plus app, etc .. can't wait for self driving cars. Key to succesful living in Thailand is to minimize the contact with the natives.

Yes i have workarounds for almost everything here...I don't like to deal with the Thai because nothing goes as i expect it to go.

I'll send this quickly now because we lost electricity 3 times today already, and it isn't even raining...

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The bank contacted the foreigner to apologize and said that the employee had been sacked. 

never any followup on such claims as fired employees. could just be strategy by bank to appease whomever.

6 hours ago, overherebc said:

I just call them pineapple when farang is used to me.

download.jpeg

dd2a5d3c-d358-4579-8ece-59ce1804ab5b_9.0b874251fccc645fd98ac76e797c2d2a.jpeg

I used to joke in my single days with the word Guava.  I too don't like the word farang as it sounds like a bastardisation of being French, and although French is fine, to me it implies that in the world are Thais and non Thais, and with the French history in this area of Asia, I kind of feel like I'm being grouped as if "are you black or white, muslin or christian" etc, as if it's a binary/boolean outcome.  I say I'm Paul, and if you insist on a category then it's caucasian.

I have no problems dealing with Thais or non-Thais, either in a business setting or casually. Then again, I learned that patience, acceptance and tolerance are great compliments to the realization that I am not the center of the universe.

Archived