Leading bank messes up! Unwittingly uses offensive language to Thai speaking foreign customer

webfact

This happens all the time. I knew a Swedish guy who was born in Bangkok and had all his education in Thailand. Up to a university degree. Not all Swedish are blond, but he was. I mention this because not one single Thai did ever expect him to speak Thai fluently. To cut the story short, at the age of about 26 years he was fed up hearing all these insults about the farangs. He left Thailand for good and I think he lives now somewhere in Europe. Thailand the land of FAKE smiles.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

If I had Billions, I wouldn't stay in this country.

Boom! If you had billions, you would be in Antigua, Monaco or Bermuda. No actual, real billionaire would ever set foot in Thailand. Billionaires want to be welcomed, not ridiculed and humiliated at the airport. 

Thai people love money more than they love Buddha.

A post in which the quoted content had been altered has been removed:

16) You will not make changes to quoted material from other members posts, except for purposes of shortening the quoted post. This cannot be done in such a manner that it alters the context of the original post.

Forum Netiquette:

2. Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes or wording. Such posts will be deleted and the user warned.

Some post containing language of crude nature have been removed. 

1 hour ago, Swedenlars said:

This happens all the time. I knew a Swedish guy who was born in Bangkok and had all his education in Thailand. Up to a university degree. Not all Swedish are blond, but he was. I mention this because not one single Thai did ever expect him to speak Thai fluently. To cut the story short, at the age of about 26 years he was fed up hearing all these insults about the farangs. He left Thailand for good and I think he lives now somewhere in Europe. Thailand the land of FAKE smiles.

Twaddle.

I have been fluent in Thai for more than 30 years and people don't expect that I understand them completely. I could count the number of times that anyone has been rude to me on the fingers of one hand. Some people who don't speak Thai well merely imagine that Thais are being rude to them because they might hear the word "farang". This speaks more of their frustrations and inadequacy than the rudeness of Thais. 

Rooster

7 hours ago, samsensam said:

after venturing into various branches of my bank i eventually found one with a member of staff who could not only understand english but also apply a certain amount of logic an common sense to resolving issues and problems. but... when she wants to look at my accounts on her computer screen she has to call the manager out of her office to type in a password, it's bizarre. i dont know how the manager can get any work done being disturbed every few minutes to type in passwords...

The same thing happens in my local branch, however I accept it as a security check that allows only those with the skills to get to certain levels of the system, when the manager is called to enter a password it also acts as a verification of what they're doing and with who's account.

8 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Sacking in this case was too harsh, they need proper training not sacking.

You really shouldn't need to be trained to be polite instead of abusive about foreigners. It's yet more evidence of the attitude that far too many Thais have concerning those who were not honoured or lucky enough to be born Thai. To many, everyone else is inferior and should be treated as such. There is no other reason, none at all, that lead to the employee acting as they did.

Ordering a specific whiskey is especially challenging in the Soi 6 bars these days. Not less than three girls are needed to somehow understand my request. It is not a question of knowledge, though. It is a way of solving problems which sucks. There is always a menu available which could be produced to the customer. But that is not an Isaan way. Ask, then ask again and again. Then call your friend (with the same level of erudition). Then a third friend gets involved and in most cases the problem gets sorted out at this point.

2 minutes ago, Zikomat said:

Ordering a specific whiskey is especially challenging in the Soi 6 bars these days. Not less than three girls are needed to somehow understand my request. It is not a question of knowledge, though. It is a way of solving problems which sucks. There is always a menu available which could be produced to the customer. But that is not an Isaan way. Ask, then ask again and again. Then call your friend (with the same level of erudition). Then a third friend gets involved and in most cases the problem gets sorted out at this point.

And now you know why so many Thai businesses are overstaffed ????

7 hours ago, colinneil said:

My bank manager comes to my home, when i need to do bank business.

Must be my magnetic personality, charm and being a handsome man.:cheesy:

The bidding for POTY is hotting up. Isn't once enough for you?

Its not that bad word. No where near as bad as this story makes it out.

There ate allot more things  the banks need to work on than this

Dont even know  how this  made it as a story

Plus you can name the bank  if it is true and you have evidence 

This strict deformation  laws only  apply when someone says something and cannot back up with evidence

This is to stop peopl3 bad mouthing  peoples businesses just because they have a personal probably with the persons

9 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Bank staff at my branch are clueless other than deposit and withdraw. Even a request to go in and change the ATM card which all customers got was met with mai khao jai looks and the need for a supervisor, bank letter requests get met with similar head scratching, even when I show them a copy of one. They all act like it's their first week on the job, thankfully the manager is a young guy who speaks English and knows what he's on about. Sacking in this case was too harsh, they need proper training not sacking.

Sound like you got my previous Assistant Manager,who was promoted to his own Branch which in my opinion was well deserved.

Great young man.

Learn how to speak Thai as a farang?

My wife speaks perfect Thai. Many times there were abusive comments from lowlife Thais when we walked thru the walking street in Pattaya. My wife does not right away translate such things to me, just tells me about them much later, to prevent me from responding and escalating the situation. I have seen the bad side of Thais all the the time, should I now  learn Thai to understand every bad comment or insult?

5 minutes ago, P100 said:

Learn how to speak Thai as a farang?

My wife speaks perfect Thai. Many times there were abusive comments from lowlife Thais when we walked thru the walking street in Pattaya. My wife does not right away translate such things to me, just tells me about them much later, to prevent me from responding and escalating the situation. I have seen the bad side of Thais all the the time, should I now  learn Thai to understand every bad comment or insult?

It’s easier to change a wife

Went in today for my income letter at Bangkok Bank and no problems they knew exactly what I wanted they made all the copies and checked my passbook for proper number of deposits, they missed one and when I told here no there is 12 she did a fast recheck and found it. Can you come back tomorrow bank holiday, sure no problem, took my number for a call when she is finished, pick up Friday. They do it all at my branch no need to order from BKK

11 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Well, I hate it when they call me farang. I tell them in Thai that I actually have a name. The look on their face!

I agree I hate being called farang too. When I hear one of them call me "farang" I reply with "gook say what"?

2 hours ago, Jane Dough said:

Twaddle.

I have been fluent in Thai for more than 30 years and people don't expect that I understand them completely. I could count the number of times that anyone has been rude to me on the fingers of one hand. Some people who don't speak Thai well merely imagine that Thais are being rude to them because they might hear the word "farang". This speaks more of their frustrations and inadequacy than the rudeness of Thais. 

Rooster

Hallelujah!!

10 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

What I find deliciously ironic, is if a foreigner in the West was treated similar, then some posters here would be complaining about the foreigner not being able to speak English.... just saying ???? 

Might be something to do with English being the language of the business world

10 hours ago, colinneil said:

My bank manager comes to my home, when i need to do bank business.

Must be my magnetic personality, charm and being a handsome man.:cheesy:

We'll be the judge of that. Is that your photo in your profile?

Archived