Leading bank messes up! Unwittingly uses offensive language to Thai speaking foreign customer

webfact

2 hours ago, Alex2554 said:

A hoax. เลือก means choose. เลือก อังกฤษ means choose English4pm.jpg.0a4a48a6c360bff760a3143b07fff488.jpg.df2d653e20e0352dcedb7caefbc04c1b.jpg

What's the grayed out letter there? I can read "Can speak Thai already" - some abbreviations with graying out - "Choose English". Something of the order "..but the <deleted> <deleted> <deleted> ai hia still.." ?

EDIT: ah got it. It's the soo sya. Try plugging that into your translator instead of loo ling.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, grantbkk said:

I have been with Siam Commercial Bank since 2001. EVERY person that I have had interaction with at a branch or on the phone could not have been handled better. 

I have had horrible experience with SCB at a local branch, asking me to withdraw money from ATM instead of counter.

Some branches are nice but not all.

Not so surprised, I was doing business at our bank here in Thailand and there was a line waiting behind me. When I got up from the seat at the service representative's desk the bank representative did a respectful Wai and I returned it. Then the nicely dressed Thai man in line behind me said very loudly to the bank representative in Thai, " you don't need to Wai him, he's a foreigner!" My guess is that he didn't know I could speak Thai or just didn't care.

There have been more instances of this type of behavior than I could count on one hand in the ten years I have been here, at times I wish I didn't understand Thai, but at the same time it I couldn't count all of the times the Thai people have given me preferential treatment, dwell on the positive!

18 hours ago, grantbkk said:

I have been with Siam Commercial Bank since 2001. EVERY person that I have had interaction with at a branch or on the phone could not have been handled better. 

I was just about to write a similar comment but it isn't even my bank. I go to a Pattaya SCB to deposit my rent payments into my landlord's account held in Chiang Mai. Not just the tellers are friendly, even the guard helped me send a payment through the bank's ATM and avoid the bank charge of 50 baht for this service.

20 hours ago, samsensam said:

after venturing into various branches of my bank i eventually found one with a member of staff who could not only understand english but also apply a certain amount of logic an common sense to resolving issues and problems. but... when she wants to look at my accounts on her computer screen she has to call the manager out of her office to type in a password, it's bizarre. i dont know how the manager can get any work done being disturbed every few minutes to type in passwords...

It is amazing how inefficient the system is.

15 hours ago, DrTuner said:

I always let them think I can't understand Thai, until they screw up and say something nasty and I then reply in Thai. I simply love the aghast look on their faces and the inevitable confusion. Hasn't happened in a while though, I think I've busted every one in the nearby vicinity. It's a good sport, Thailand can be a bit boring, so a man needs a hobby.

Thats a problem where I live most Thai's know I can speak Thai I need to find some new drinking dens just for fun

Nobody seems to get it. Thais do NOT LIKE anything non-Thai and that includes the alien farang. 

They realize(d) over time that their Thai way of doing things is mostly wrong, does not end well and is normally overpriced, under-performed or not completed. This results in an inferiority complex which is steamrollered by the general public in giving those aliens a tough time. The official Thailand screws them further with minimum bank deposits, TM6, TM 30, 90-days notifications ...... the full nine yards. 

Take it or leave it but stop complaining about it. If you get insulted or mistreated, then make it crystal clear, how much you appreciate it. If too much is too much then just walk away ...... very much to the utter surprise and non-understanding of the superiority race "Khon Thai"! 

It only works if all around you depend on you without you misusing this situation. As long as you still owe them = everything works just fine, trust me! 

22 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

What I find deliciously ironic, is if a foreigner in the West was treated similar, then some posters here would be complaining about the foreigner not being able to speak English.... just saying ???? 

"They could converse in Thai after living and doing business in Thailand for more than ten years but after the bank asked for a Thai ID number to be keyed in they decided to opt for English". 

I deal with Bangkok Bank and have always had great service. The staff mostly know English and if they do not, they direct me to another staff member who does. They also seem

very skilled at their duties, and I guess I should feel lucky to deal with the Bank in Bangkok, and the one in Hua Hin. Both cities have good staff.  I do have my own account from

many years ago, when it was easy to get your own bank account.

The only thing is that I do not get any promotional items as I am an old

customer. 555

Geezer

On 12/4/2019 at 8:34 PM, P100 said:

How did this find it's way into the public? Did the Thai speaking farang record the conversation knowing in advance what will happen? Hmmm

As it happens so often, perhaps the guy was ready thinking hey I can post it up on Manager online or sanook, adn get the netizens outraged for the day

Oh wait sorry - got it backwards   :whistling:

Thais cannot be trusted round money so banks have the most ludicrous and lengthy fail/safe systems in place.  I have moved one and a half million baht three times in an attempt to find one that does not treat me like a bank robber every time I go in.

On 12/4/2019 at 11:27 AM, donnacha said:

The chance that anyone was actually sacked is extremely low.

I'd say so - only when publicised is such behaviour unacceptable. Kept quiet it's a pretty normal official attitude... So if a public sacking is necessary to show forceful support in the news, then the employee probably got re-employed at the adjacent chair the following day on the quiet.

On 12/5/2019 at 7:02 AM, Lee4Life said:

Not so surprised, I was doing business at our bank here in Thailand and there was a line waiting behind me. When I got up from the seat at the service representative's desk the bank representative did a respectful Wai and I returned it. Then the nicely dressed Thai man in line behind me said very loudly to the bank representative in Thai, " you don't need to Wai him, he's a foreigner!" My guess is that he didn't know I could speak Thai or just didn't care.

There have been more instances of this type of behavior than I could count on one hand in the ten years I have been here, at times I wish I didn't understand Thai, but at the same time it I couldn't count all of the times the Thai people have given me preferential treatment, dwell on the positive!

Yes, my experience generally also. Sometimes they make me uncomfortable by ushering me to the front of a queue for express service...

The worst experience was registering at a Government Hospital with a purple card - for NON premium services. Every single desk or officious pen pusher, and even the doctor just seem to look up at you and say 'why the <deleted>*k shouldn't you be paying double what everyone else pays?'.

On 12/3/2019 at 10:50 PM, Somtamnication said:

Well, I hate it when they call me farang. I tell them in Thai that I actually have a name. The look on their face!

Wish more people would do that. Would likely alter the verbal insults although the non-spoken opinions would remain. If more spoke Thai the more respect the "farangs" would get. Or not...

Of course the bank was not named!!!  What shameful protection of an undeserving institution!!!

This incident displays just a very tiny tip of the mammoth iceberg that makes up the prevailing attitude toward farang in Thailand by Thais. Fortunately, these rude ignoramuses who make up the VAST majority of Thais can be ignored and only pitied in their closed-minded and xenophobic approach to life, so farang can just largely dismiss them and enjoy the few open-minded Thais and all that the country naturally provides.

It must be strange and depressing having to flash a smile on one's face while feeling extreme contempt in one's heart. 

Archived