Children in need: Police put children first in crackdown on late-night street hawking

webfact

Children in need: Police put children first in crackdown on late-night street hawking

By Tanyaluk Sakoot

1575428059_1-org.jpg

All four children were found to be from families suffering particular financial hardships. Photo: Supplied

PHUKET: Following the arrests of four people for human trafficking and the exploitation of child labour last month for operating a gang of children hawking goods in bars and restaurants, police have revealed that four more children have been found being forced to sell items at late-night venues in Phuket.

Lt Col Rattaket Munmuang, Deputy Chief of the Phuket City Police, told The Phuket News that of the four children, three were found selling items at venues in Phuket Town and one child was found trying to sell items in a restaurant in Soi Ta-iad in Chalong.

He declined to give the names of the locations where police found the children selling wares late at night.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/children-in-need-police-put-children-first-in-crackdown-on-late-night-street-hawking-73869.php#rIR1TKs13cvKq5kC.99

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-12-04

I live in udon and occasionally go out for a drink. In one popular bar area, it is usual for children to come into the bars and sell flowers or other small items. The children I see are accompanied by an adult. However, this can happen after 9:00. I can see no justification for the child to be there. I believe this is simply another form of trafficking. There is no effort to keep this activity secret. It appears to be accepted. Does this occur in other cities?

18 minutes ago, jingjai9 said:

I live in udon and occasionally go out for a drink. In one popular bar area, it is usual for children to come into the bars and sell flowers or other small items. The children I see are accompanied by an adult. However, this can happen after 9:00. I can see no justification for the child to be there. I believe this is simply another form of trafficking. There is no effort to keep this activity secret. It appears to be accepted. Does this occur in other cities?

Many Indians selling flowers in Udon, Young Adult and kids 

5 hours ago, jingjai9 said:

Yes.

8 hours ago, jingjai9 said:

Most cities in Thailand, India, Vietnam etc, etc .... unfortunately.

Does not seem to be a priority for the police.  Bridge parties and scooters in the wrong lane much more important.

On 12/4/2019 at 9:54 AM, jingjai9 said:

Its normal in SE Asia. Only easily shocked, spoilt white westerners would prefer to see families go hungry.  Young children work on construction sites too. Many white tourists have no idea of poverty and seek to impose their own western views of morality on poor people without giving any practical support.

Archived