HONDA STEED v YAMAHA VIRAGO

mercman24

opinions please, thinking of getting a small cruiser in the new year, i see plenty of STEEDS about but no VIRAGOS, (anyone got one or the other)? always been a sport bike rider so know jack <deleted> about these bikes, guy in our condo got a 200 ? i think but must be grossly underpowered was thinking a 400 steed or a 535 Virago thanks in advance KC.  when i get the 100,00 that <deleted> bar owes me ha ha

If I were you, I'd go for a Virago. But go for a 750, a second generation that doesn't have the starter flaw.

A 1000, or 1100 cc is also a great choice. I've just read a few statements here that aren't true. The Virago isn't that low, my wife can't ride mine, her feet are too short.

Honda is watercooled and of lower quality. The Virago is almost undestroyable. I do know a bit about bikes because I fix my bike alone, never go to see a mechanic, no matter what's wrong with her...

We have a Virago Forum with members from all around the world and many have a 535, a bike that's so reliable that it would have to be build if it wouldn't already exist.

You can read a lot about the starter issue of the older gen. I Viragos, ( before 1984). One of our members found out that it's basically not a mechanical issue, it's caused by overuse of the starter system, because the spark is gone when the voltage during cranking drops below 10 volt and the spark is gone, because the TCI doesn't get enough juice. 

The spark is controlled by the TCI and there's an easy fix for those who've got this problem. A cheap part that functions like a relay gives constant 12 volts to the TCI and the bike starts on the first evolution.

But when you're going for one, just buy one that's made 1984 or later.  

I've had Hondas, I've had a Suzuki Intruder. The 750 Intruder is in no way to compare with a Virago.

I had the Intruder in Thailand, then bought a 750 Virago and it was like switching from a VW Beagle to a Benz. 

I've bought my 1100cc Virago last year in August and I'm more than happy to have it. 

It's got a drive shaft that needs little attention, the engine is built forever, the quality of the parts is much better than the ones on Hondas.

I'm telling you the truth and I'm in no way Anti Honda. But it's also about the condition of the bike you're buying.

Be aware that you'll find many bikes that had nasty accidents and they'll never ride straight again. TIT!

The 750 has only 7 horses less than the 1100 cc. When other bike riders have to switch down, you can just accelerate the engine is powerful and it's pure fun to ride a Virago.

I've got a windshield and must have forgotten how it is to get so many flies in my mouth. My five baht to your question.

The photos show my former 750 and the 1100 cc I've got now.

My bike. with Gey and childjpg.jpg

Mein Fernscheinwerfer von vorne.jpg

Bike in front of the house.jpg

big bike von links.jpg

Armaturen mit Voltmeter.jpg

Bike Kardan.jpg

Classic Virago.jpg

My engine.jpg

bike 750 near 226.jpg

On 12/4/2019 at 1:38 PM, BritManToo said:

Virago frame is more suited for small persons & ladies, the seat very low to the ground.

I had the 1100cc Bulldog sports version of the bike, which was massive, back in the UK.

I'm not a little gnom and riding an 1100 is great. It's too big for my wife, she could ride my Intruder, but not the Virago. 

Honda Steed ceased production - 400 in 2001 600 in 1995

If you can do your own maintenance and overhauls, or have a shop which can, you should be OK. Both very popular in LOS

Parts availability sure to become an issue at some point.

Virago 1981 - 2007 will suffer from the same parts problems. altho a custom shop can overcome this by junking the old carb setup and going with a single carb and removing all the mess of vacuum hoses the stock bike has.

Very likely to both need new wiring harness as people over the years messed with the stocker. But look on this as a good thing as you then enjoy modern wire and connectors and can remove some of the factory faults inherent in the design.

Do not let the age scare you off if you want one, just be aware of what you are getting into and be prepared to fix problems on old bikes - or have it done.

Good Luck

Archived