CCTV will automatically detect people not wearing helmets

webfact

CCTV will automatically detect people not wearing helmets

9pm.jpg

A leading strategist concerned with accidents in the north of Thailand has said that CCTV will be able to detect people not wearing helmets. 

Such people will face fines sent to them through the post next year. 

The news came on chiangrai.prdnoth.in.th.

Strategist Thana Nuanplot revealed figures claiming accidents in Chiang Mai have decreased in recent years but their severity has not. 

Many are killed as a result of riding motorcycles and not wearing helmets. Thana hopes that the new technology will encourage people to wear helmets and improve safety.

Total road accidents in the province were as high as 5,000 in 2015 but this was now down to around 200 a month and 1,700 annually in the last year, he said.  

But still the death toll in the province is on average about 44 a month. 

Nationwide Thai authorities have admitted the annual death toll on the roads is in excess of 20,000 with some estimates putting it as high as 26,000 people, notes Thaivisa. 

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-12-04

Helmets do save lives and trying to persuade people to wear them is a good thing, but i really can't see an initiative based on CCTV working. It assumes that the cameras actually work, which they probably won't at least half the time, it assumes that bikes are properly registered to their owners and that the fines will actually get paid, which the majority probably won't.

Now, if you could get the cops to enforce the existing laws rigidly, you might be on the way to a solution.

Years ago in the UK, I knew a motorcyclist who deliberately wound up the police.

All around the outside of his half-face helmet he glued a piece of brown shagpile carpet.

The number of times he was pulled over for having no helmet, only for the police to realise when they walked up to him he did in fact have a regulation helmet.

Firstly you would have to get all the bikes with no numberplates off the road. Then you would have to stop all the remaining bikes and check the registration documents against the ID card and driving licence (sorry- don't make me laugh) of the rider.  Then this idea would have a very slight chance of effecting any improvement.

25 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Helmets do save lives

yes they do but very limited (not answering you in particular my friend)

from what I have seen of accidents here not very many would have been saved by wearing a helmet perhaps at most 5% - I'll take it but it is by no means the magic bullet to saving huge numbers of lives

also - what about those that have no licence or number plate or the bikes are unregistered or running on false plates, not much chance there is there or the person riding doesn't own the bike, this just fails on so many levels

The only way to reduce accidents on Thai roads is to have police actually enforce the law, it is generally the stupidity of drivers of all vehicles using the roads that cause the accidents and deaths - motorbike riders come off worse because they have no protection (steel cage) - and no a helmet doesn't contribute a lot, hit anything solid with your head above 25kmh and your chance of survival is very limited helmet or not, jump from the 2nd floor of a house or condo straight into the ground head first  and come back and tell us how it went, 25-30kmph impact

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

..,..... it assumes that bikes are properly registered to their owners and that the fines will actually get paid, which the majority probably won't.

Now, if you could get the cops to enforce the existing laws rigidly, you might be on the way to a solution.

I once could not renew the registration & inspection of my bike and would not get a sticker until I paid a fine. (A cop took a picture of me driving straight on a right-turn only intersection and I was not aware until at the inspection I was passed the fine).

The cops are corrupt and unless this doesn´t improve significantly, people will drive like idiots, without brains and license. "Corruption kills" is my favorite saying here.

2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Years ago in the UK, I knew a motorcyclist who deliberately wound up the police.

All around the outside of his half-face helmet he glued a piece of brown shagpile carpet.

The number of times he was pulled over for having no helmet, only for the police to realise when they walked up to him he did in fact have a regulation helmet.

Very childish and a waste of police time when they could be doing real policing 

Another useless news article that doesn't address the real problem. The criminal element in this country that does not do their job. The scourge of Thailand in my opinion. They have so much power that all we get are these ridiculous articles to solve this road carnage when everyone knows where the real fault lies. 

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Helmets do save lives ...

4 hours ago, smedly said:

yes they do but very limited ...

Sorry, smedly, but your statement is misleading and potentially dangerous.  Helmets most definitely save lives.  Check out the story of the aged foreigner killed on Sukhumvit in Pattaya doing a U-turn earlier this week.  Look at the aftermath photos and the three metre trickle of blood from his headwound.  He had a chance if he were wearing a helmet.  No chance without.  

In New York , I worked in the high rise construction industry. Everyone entering the construction area was required to wear a hard hat,

Some of the workers in my crew were Rastafarians (very good workers and nice people)that would never cut their hair. I found it funny to watch them try to wear a hard hat helmet,

image.png.20b687df59ccf2f42849524873195ab4.png

5 hours ago, smedly said:

saved by wearing a helmet perhaps at most 5%

This is total rubbish. You might want to google a little before spreading misinformation which might cost people lives: https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/812388

"helmets in preventing death (37% for operators and 41% for passengers) and injuries (8% for minor and 13% for serious injury)"

9 hours ago, torturedsole said:

Sorry, smedly, but your statement is misleading and potentially dangerous.  Helmets most definitely save lives.  Check out the story of the aged foreigner killed on Sukhumvit in Pattaya doing a U-turn earlier this week.  Look at the aftermath photos and the three metre trickle of blood from his headwound.  He had a chance if he were wearing a helmet.  No chance without.  

I think I was very clear about my "educated" and "Experienced" view of helmets, if you think that wearing a helmet would have saved the life of the example you gave then that is an error made by that person for not wearing one, what I am not doing is advising anyone "not to wear a helmet" I didn't make that clear but have in many previous posts - it is always best to wear a helmet - it might save your life if you have a very low impact collision 

I have had experience with motorbikes for a long time, not going into details but one take away and a grave error that most people make  - "if I am wearing the most expensive gear - helmet leathers boots gloves etc etc "I am invincible" I can do anything, the truth is - leathers and all that gear will protect you road rash to an extent, a helmet will protect you from a drop from the seat of about 3 feet to the ground  (doesn't matter about speed) you will drop to the ground - 3 feet and if you are wearing all that gear and a helmet you will get up and walk away with little injury, we see it every MotoGP - 200mph offs and they get up and dust themselves off and go for it again - that is on a track were there is nothing to hit...……..very safe 

On a public road is entirely different - you hit anything solid - or anything solid hits you at an impact speed of greater than 30kmph and it doesn't matter what you are wearing - you will end up dead or severely injured - yes wear a helmet - wear the protective gear (I do) but I am also very aware of the limitations of protection I am getting  - if I have an off and my body hits something solid at over 30kmph - well I know I am not walking away from that, the joys and risks of the motorbike

Do helmets save lives - yes, but the protection is very limited

Very simple to understand and put it into perspective and also a useful way of understanding how much that expensive gear you bought and wear will protect you if you have a motorbike accident   - hitting something solid at just 30kmph

Jump out of a 2nd floor balcony head first with all your protective gear on and see how you fair, that is a 30kmph impact - we have any volunteers to try it out

15 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

If this is the best idea a "leading strategist" can come up with, it is little wonder the mortality rate nationwide remains so high. He clearly doesn't have the first clue about reality either.

Much like the idiots who ride motorcycles without a helmet!

8 hours ago, Noob81 said:

This is total rubbish. You might want to google a little before spreading misinformation which might cost people lives: https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/812388

"helmets in preventing death (37% for operators and 41% for passengers) and injuries (8% for minor and 13% for serious injury)"

you are quoting stats from countries that generally have law enforcement and people drive with care and within limits enforced on them - that does not apply in Thailand were driving standards are low and accidents are quite frankly horrific 

what I have said is fact - how you apply that to Thailand is something else - read my above post, I also challenge you to find a recent fatal accident involving a motorbike were a helmet would have resulted in a different outcome - I can't think of any reported and I can't imagine any accidents happening here were a helmet would have made a big pile of difference considering the way they drive, just lunatics on the roads  with a very big turnover of body bags - yes wear a helmet would have save you lol 

No mention of what it deemed to be a proper motorcycle helmet !  The useless piece of 300 Baht plastic that the Thais buy will never save you from injury. They are just moulded plastic with a very cheap harness that breaks easily and the have no padding inside and don't fit properly. My helmet cost A$800. I know it will help in an accident.  However Thais wear no other protection. Shorts and thongs wont help when you are sliding down the road !  Up to them, I am past caring.

So what happens for the rental bikes. By the time they get the fine through the post, the helmetless renter has long gone. Multiply the helmetless renter many times and the bike rentals are going to work up quite a bill! It seems like a pretty unworkable scenario.

Archived