CCTV will automatically detect people not wearing helmets

webfact

18 minutes ago, cmsally said:

So what happens for the rental bikes. By the time they get the fine through the post, the helmetless renter has long gone. Multiply the helmetless renter many times and the bike rentals are going to work up quite a bill! It seems like a pretty unworkable scenario.

Not the owner of the bikes, but the drivers are usually responsible for the offense. It is normal business for car rental agencies to forward the driver´s data to the authorities. What could be the difference to a motorcycle rental agency?

19 hours ago, webfact said:

A leading strategist concerned with accidents in the north of Thailand has said that CCTV will be able to detect people not wearing helmets.

In most towns it can't detect thieves in action... I don't hold out much hope for this!

So how is this new scheme going to work in the case of police officers who do not wear helmets ?

I have witnessed the spectacle of one of the princesses in transit which involved a convoy of 20 vehicles with flashing lights and sirens.  Over the next 20 minutes, some 60 police officers on motorbikes returned to base after completing their road closure duties.

I counted 10 of those officers riding motorcycles who were not wearing crash helmets.  Is there special dispensation to police officers wearing helmets once they have reached a certain rank or after they have completed a certain number of years service ? ? ? 

7 minutes ago, hidbehindthesofa said:

I counted 10 of those officers riding motorcycles who were not wearing crash helmets.  Is there special dispensation to police officers wearing helmets once they have reached a certain rank or after they have completed a certain number of years service ? ? ? 

it is an Ego thing...

... goes along with liquorice all sorts of uniforms 

image.jpeg.c1f062ee5b76bdbdb6e2c507c05ec96f.jpeg 

22 hours ago, webfact said:

Many are killed as a result of riding motorcycles and not wearing helmets. Thana hopes that the new technology will encourage people to wear helmets and improve safety.

If  that isnt a big  enough deterrent do you think fines  will be?

4 years ago i got my agent to go to the cop shop, to explain,  (3rd fine for my Ford pick up with photos) shame i did not even own a vehicle or a driving licence then, he came back and said you should have seen the pile on his desk of unpaid fines, it was huge, so i dont think much will change

21 hours ago, smedly said:

yes they do but very limited (not answering you in particular my friend)

from what I have seen of accidents here not very many would have been saved by wearing a helmet perhaps at most 5% - I'll take it but it is by no means the magic bullet to saving huge numbers of lives

also - what about those that have no licence or number plate or the bikes are unregistered or running on false plates, not much chance there is there or the person riding doesn't own the bike, this just fails on so many levels

The only way to reduce accidents on Thai roads is to have police actually enforce the law, it is generally the stupidity of drivers of all vehicles using the roads that cause the accidents and deaths - motorbike riders come off worse because they have no protection (steel cage) - and no a helmet doesn't contribute a lot, hit anything solid with your head above 25kmh and your chance of survival is very limited helmet or not, jump from the 2nd floor of a house or condo straight into the ground head first  and come back and tell us how it went, 25-30kmph impact

The single most effective way save lives and save money is a universal helmet law, according to evidence from the US.

Helmets have been found reduce the risk of death by 37 percent and the risk of head injury by 69 percent and save an estimated billion dollars in associated costs.

https://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafety/mc/index.html

That said, helmets need to be fit for purpose - which an awful lot of those worn  here are clearly not. And, of course, helmet laws need to be enforced - which again is frequently not the case in LOS.

On 12/4/2019 at 7:49 AM, webfact said:
Such people will face fines sent to them through the post next year. 

Completely misleading. The traffic camera can record a motor cycle's registration plate NOT identify the riders. Postal traffic fines are sent to the address of the registered owner.

To avoid 'no helmet' fines simply borrow or steal a motorcycle.????

22 hours ago, 300sd said:

Another useless news article that doesn't address the real problem. The criminal element in this country that does not do their job. The scourge of Thailand in my opinion. They have so much power that all we get are these ridiculous articles to solve this road carnage when everyone knows where the real fault lies. 

Why is this a Police issue?

If people are too stupid to realize that a helmet may protect their head in an accident, then Im not sure there is much in there worth protecting.

Let people ride with no helmet if they want. It's not worth the effort to save the stupid people.

On 12/4/2019 at 2:58 PM, keith101 said:

This is also down to the police not enforcing the law , so many times I have seen people ride past/overtake police without helmets on and they have just ignored them 

I live in a small Isaan village. There are a few signs around advising to wear your helmet 100% of the time, I'm sure you've seen these types of signs. But nobody ever wears a helmet, ever. Despite the village having several places where you can buy new or used bikes, there is nowhere to buy a helmet.

On 12/4/2019 at 2:49 PM, webfact said:

Total road accidents in the province were as high as 5,000 in 2015 but this was now down to around 200 a month and 1,700 annually in the last year, he said.  

There is no way this is true.

On 12/4/2019 at 2:57 AM, darksidedog said:

Helmets do save lives and trying to persuade people to wear them is a good thing, but i really can't see an initiative based on CCTV working. It assumes that the cameras actually work, which they probably won't at least half the time, it assumes that bikes are properly registered to their owners and that the fines will actually get paid, which the majority probably won't.

Now, if you could get the cops to enforce the existing laws rigidly, you might be on the way to a solution.

Enforcement will be spotty, and it is likely someone has figured out a way to route any fine payments into their own pockets. Any time the Thai police get involved things go sideways. 

On 12/4/2019 at 8:04 AM, bluesofa said:

Years ago in the UK, I knew a motorcyclist who deliberately wound up the police.

All around the outside of his half-face helmet he glued a piece of brown shagpile carpet.

The number of times he was pulled over for having no helmet, only for the police to realise when they walked up to him he did in fact have a regulation helmet.

Not allowed now or indeed anything affixed to the helmet that might interfere with its effectiveness,  including cute ears.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived