Lost in translation – Karon seafood restaurant staff chase American customer

webfact

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously a reason why the articles Thaivisa posted up contain no description of the incident except in extreme vague terms. Do they do this on purpose? You get the idea they do.

He ordered something was brought something completely different complained, it escalated then he was not going to pay for it and  ............... claim counter claim. That from a Thai paper. we still have lots of questions but at least we have better idea of what started it.

Can it get worse? YES I believe it can. Come for the food, stay for the mob beatdown. 

On 12/5/2019 at 12:40 AM, Roy Baht said:

It's funny with the right soundtrack

I swear I was like "ok, Imma check this out" followed by "wait no, it's probably Benny Hill". Not sure what's more worn out, that tune or the local mama san.

That guy was really lucky that they were literally too stupid to fight/gang up. I lol'd when he rag dolled that one dude in flip flops. He can't fight worth <deleted> either, but considering how many there were he did okay.

Anyone know by now what this was over? Did he do the wrong intonation while asking for fried shrimp, and ended up asking the waitress to suck his winky by accident, or something?

On 12/5/2019 at 11:25 AM, shy coconut said:

Where does it say that this was a parking dispute, and is it often that a whole bunch of

angry attack a man in the street over such a trivial matter?

When I've parked in someone's perceived space I've been shooed away with chatter

and arm waving, gone on to find an alternative space. No point in getting into a

situation over stuff like this.

Agreed, I only had some "problem" once, when I came out of a uhm club and the guys outside were like "parking 100 baht" as I was about to leave (I was on a bike). I just laughed, and he started laughing too, was like "u smaht!" (smart), gave me a high five and I left.

Another time I was "parking" the bike in a side road to get an ice cream from seven 11, when I got out sat on the bike and started sucking my Calypso like I was Buk Laoina trying to earn my baht, the grab scooter guys were like "YOU YOU YOU YOU, GO" waving me off etc. So I was like ok whatever, maybe its the cab stand for scooter type thing, finished my ice cream and jogged on.... don't see the problem..

Anyway I don't get mountain's point

The only time i have left my motorbike despite the sign ''parking for customers only'' at my

return my tires were flat, Lesson learned. Obviously in Thailand the street is not a public place.

Not sure where he is from, but in most places in Europe you have parking lots and spaces that are "customer only" and even then they often have a max. parking of 1 1/2 hours or thereabouts. They can and will have you "fined" (threaten to sue for invading their property via lawyer) and sometimes even towed.

If it's customer only and I'm not planning on going in there, I don't park there. It's as simple as that. Ofc sometimes there's an exception, like stopping at the supermarket huge parking lot for a few minutes, but not at some bar/restaurant that only has a small amount of parking spaces to begin with, if I'm not going in. Because that's being a selfish c u next tuesday, and deserves some sort of retribution ????

No matter the reason for the mob lynch, it is assault.

He can sue, and win this case easily.

There is nothing he can have done to provoke such a reaction and it could have ended much much worse.

I have never been in such a situation, but I would sue.

500 baht my momma

To the poster above me: some kind of retribution?

really? for parking in a customers only parking area?

In Europe you car can get hauled, or you can get a fine

Noway physical assault is a proper reaction.

TiT, i know, but that is no excuse.

This looked barbaric to say the least

On 12/9/2019 at 11:27 PM, MarcB said:

No matter the reason for the mob lynch, it is assault.

He can sue, and win this case easily.

There is nothing he can have done to provoke such a reaction and it could have ended much much worse.

I have never been in such a situation, but I would sue.

500 baht my momma

To the poster above me: some kind of retribution?

really? for parking in a customers only parking area?

In Europe you car can get hauled, or you can get a fine

Noway physical assault is a proper reaction.

TiT, i know, but that is no excuse.

This looked barbaric to say the least

I know some people here are a bit slow in the head, so I'll explain it to you as simple as possible:

I didn't say retribution in the form of an ass beating. I even explained about the fining (towing happens too, but it's illegal in MOST cases - where I am from anyway, doesn't matter if oyu put up a sign that you'll have them towed - and if you know the law you can make the person who had you towed pay for all of it) etc.

I clearly stated all that only in regards to parking, NOT the situation in the article.

All that being said, it most likely wasn't even about that. The articles aren't very clear, just that they were punching each other before the mob started.. And everyone with half a brain knows this <deleted> (people forming a pack or a mob to beat your ass, if you - a farang - get into fights, esp with locals) happens in Thailand, Indonesia, etc. so only a complete moron (especially one who's been living there long enough to speak Thai) would tempt fate by getting into a fight with the local lowlives..

EDIT: And on top of that lets not pretend this stuff only happens in LOS. Of course it's not okay, but it is what it is, and it's not your culture. Go to any Stani neighbourhood in Brumistan (Birmingham) or certain parts of London, Manchester, etc. and you'll also have a pack of them on your ass, if you smack one. Go to any Turk neighbourhood in Germany or Austria, get into a fight with the corner store guy or guys in the Cafe, and see what happens. They'll stomp your ass out worse than these inepts in the video did. Plenty of Asian & Middle Eastern cultures (esp. from Muslim countries) have pack mentality. You fight one, you fight them all, evne if they don't even know each other. It's worse when it happens here, as they are in OUR countries, not the other way around... still bad, but some of oyu chose to move there, KNOWING this stuff goes down. So suck it up, buttercup. And be careful who you mess with out on the mean streets of LOS ????

Archived