Tesco introduces paper carry bags

Sparkles

Nice surprise at Tesco, Hang Dong Rd today as plastic carry bags have been replaced with brown paper bags.I guess some folk will complain there are no handles.

We always take our own canvas bags and have done for a long time,logic would suggest that's still a better way to go.

Long way to go.Why some bottled products eg mouthwash have to be sealed in plastic is beyond me they could just provide locking caps and another unnecessary piece of plastic would be gone.

Home Pro and Baan and Beyond are 2 more companies no longer providing plastic bags.7/11 are you watching ?

"One small step for mankind"

As one who lived before plastic bags were available and items were in glass bottles; and having to hold paper in arms blocking vision, having rain destroy and the cool items do the same with result everything on floor or ground and many items destroyed can not share that feel good visions for a better world.  We are turning back time rather than learning to live with what has been developed.  Paper bags are a nightmare.  Cut down on the plastic yes - but don't offer something as bad as paper bags.

Reusable bags will work for many but stores should be prepared to sell such for those without (even better to accept returns at near sales price - people do pick up and sell here).  But understand I am not the mainstream - but still believe it would work if made a policy.

6 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

As one who lived before plastic bags were available and items were in glass bottles; and having to hold paper in arms blocking vision, having rain destroy and the cool items do the same with result everything on floor or ground and many items destroyed can not share that feel good visions for a better world.  We are turning back time rather than learning to live with what has been developed.  Paper bags are a nightmare.  Cut down on the plastic yes - but don't offer something as bad as paper bags.

Reusable bags will work for many but stores should be prepared to sell such for those without (even better to accept returns at near sales price - people do pick up and sell here).  But understand I am not the mainstream - but still believe it would work if made a policy.

Agreed - Plastic Bags are extremely useful. 

The irony was not lost on me in the UK when in my 'bag for life' I was carrying 100 small plastic bin-bags to use for the rubbish bin in the kitchen. In Thailand I use the plastic bags as bin-bags... thus making these dual use, not single use plastics. 

More attention should be paid the the packaging of goods - its simply not necessary to have 'that amount' of plastic packaging on the majority of items. 

Goes deeper than supermarket bags 

Plastic bags every where. See people buying  iced drinks you get a plastic cup and lid alond with plastic straw and a plastic carry bag.

Food vendors would be handing out more plastic than supermarkets. This is what ends up as road trash not shopping bags.

Oh well every bit less helps.

Top marks to Tesco, I stick with supply of cooler bags I brought from Woolworths Australia.

Very strong version should last 10 years.

went into my local Mart last night forgetting its no plastic day

the shop assistant mentioned have the reusable bags for 3 baht

I mentioned as long as its okay for the  bottles of Chang beer 

it was 

now have my reusable bag ready for next month  plus no plastic days  at 3 baht does not break the bank 

Tesco have been handing out brown paper bags for months on Wednesday's; they are just one of several stores that agreed to stop dishing out plastic bags on one day a week.   Rimping don't use plastic on Wednesday's either but offer cardboard boxes instead.

Some people seem to be a long way behind with the news !

At Home Pro you find yourself waiting at the check out for a bag to carry your plastic vacuum pressure packs of 10screws, 4 hinges, and 5 small cup hooks.

You are offered a trolley to take them out though!

Absolutely missed the point havnt they.

I think the likes of Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury have delivered an ultimatum to all their suppliers that if their packaging is not enviro friendly by late 2020 then they will will not be stocking their products.

"Sparkles Said "Home Pro no longer providing plastic bags". Please note that I was in HomePro wednesday and they offered me a plastic bag, which I refused because the product was already encapsulated in plastic. However, I will have to but the same amount of plastic bin bags in order that I can separate my waste into wet waste, recyclables, paper/cardboard and plastic wrappings for incineration. Most of my neighbours use shopping bags to separate their wet waste from their other waste. If there are no longer waterproof plastic bags for waste separation in the garbage and rubbish bins provided, there is going to be a nasty mess in the bins and it makes it harder for the recyclables and compostables to be separated at the waste transfer stations. 

They should have smaller shopping trolleys. Then if you forget to bring your own shopping bag you can just put everything back in the trolley and wheel it to the car. The big ones are to large to maneuver narrow spaces.

As for plastic bags, what do most people do with them when they get home ? Throw them away or use them as bin liners ? Most people I know use them as bin liners. So if they are not provided you will just have to buy black plastic bin liners instead.

What they should be trying to invent is a bio degradable bag other than paper.

I also think that plastic bags are useful. I use them as garbage bags. Now I will have to buy plastic garbage bags. I use them also when I travel to keep dirty clothes and I put shoes and sandals in plastic bags in my suitcase. Useful also to keep clothes and other item that you do not use often.

I think plastic straws and cups and glasses should be replaced. Even more, the  foam containers , plate and cups  should be eliminated.

Brown paper bags are not great here in hot climate. I was in Manila last year and I bought cold cuts, cheese and beers at 7-11.  Item were put in paper bags and I barely made it to my hotel as condensation from cold products in warm humid climate destroyed the bags. Also the lack of handle make them difficult to carry walking on the street. Not great for 

pedestrian using public transport or bicycles.

Paper bags are perfect for large stores  where people only carry them from the cashiers to their car or SUV in the parking lot using the provided carts.

Daiso carries nylon shopping bags that fold up small enough to fit in a shirt pocket, smaller than a pack of cigarettes. I carry 3-4 under the seat of my motorbike. No need to rely upon paper bags at all.

While it's true that many of us did reuse the plastic shopping bags as bin liners, many of us just throw them away. Especially ones that somehow got a bit wet inside. Having to purchase garbage bags, although still a waste of plastic, will reduce the amount of plastic trash considerably.

Sure, it's a bit 'inconvenient,' but if you haven't personally experienced the incredible amount of plastic trash floating in our seas, clogging our sewers and drains, and actually working its way into our food chain, then you can't appreciate just how severe this problem has become.  A whale just washed up on a beach, dead, with 220lbs of plastic trash in its stomach. There are several floating 'islands,' MILES wide, of plastic trash, floating in all of the seven seas today... Steps really do need to be taken... by all of us.

Trash.jpg

1 hour ago, realenglish1 said:

What should be done Is give users of plastic bags to find plant based bags time to come to market I would say 2 years to give them time to produce these bags This is not hard There just has to be incentive

They do already, magazine sent from UK is no longer is wrapped in plastic but in a compostable wrapper. I soaked a sample from it in warm water for over 24 hours and it held up. It could certainly wrap a Chang or use as a bin liner.IMG_20191206_080533.thumb.jpg.47410f60f7e6e931b4e5b45a9393a59a.jpgwrapper

For those who are worrying about having to face a world without free plastic bags for their wet garbage, fear not.  There will always be more than enough plastic bags...at least in our lifetimes and most likely our children's, too.  What Southeast Asia did before plastic bags, I don't know, but the people here cannot seem to get enough of them.  It'll be a long time--long time--before they're done away with. 

In the meantime, those of us who want to do our extremely small part in saving the world will adjust to using multi-use bags as well as refusing the straws and lids and other attendant plastic that inevitably is a part of our purchases.  It's maddening seeing over-wrapped items on the shelves, knowing that more and more plastic will wind up in the landfill, or along the roadside or in the canal.

On 12/4/2019 at 4:26 PM, Sparkles said:

Home Pro and Baan and Beyond are 2 more companies no longer providing plastic bags.7/11 are you watching ?

Do keep up!  Most major retailers and associations will stop issuing single use bags from Jan 1st.  7/11 have already implemented the policy in 137 stores ahead of the full network next month.

2 hours ago, realenglish1 said:

What should be done Is give users of plastic bags to find plant based bags time to come to market I would say 2 years to give them time to produce these bags This is not hard There just has to be incentive

It exist ....made fom ..... Cassava In 2016 ...….https://www.architecturaldigest.com/story/thailand-creates-technology-that-decomposes-plastic-bags-in-weeks

I had this at the local Tesco Lotus Express a few weeks back. I bought two one-litre bottles of Blend and, instead of the usual flimsy plastic bag, they were packed in an enormous, high-quality paper bag.

This is not the most eco-friendly policy, never mind the fact that there are no handles for carrying the heavy package. The carbon footprint of making such a large, strong paper bag is around 300 times the carbon footprint of making the usual extremely lightweight plastic carriers. Even if the bag can be recycled, it's very hard to see how this helps the climate change problem.

Unfortunately, there currently seems to be no way of recycling these paper bags. I thought the village rubbish collectors might have taken it along with the cardboard, but no, they weren't interested. I asked a couple of Thai people what to do with it, but they had no idea. It's not much use as a kitchen bin liner, which is where most of my plastic carriers end up (like most people, I'd guess) as it won't hold liquids or anything wet. And Pattaya City won't accept rubbish for collection and removal from the village unless it's in a black plastic bag, so I might have stuck some dead leaves or other dry garden rubbish in it, but then it would have to be put in a black bag anyway so what's the point? It's just a huge waste of carbon and an inconvenience for the shopper.

OK, it won't end up in a baby whale's stomach, or flapping in the wind wrapped around a barbed wire fence, or in our stomachs via micro-plastic pollution and eating farmed fish such as tilapia and pangasius, but those are the only advantages I can see. Are they enough to justify the carbon footprint, though?

Happily, that was the first and last time I've been given a paper bag at Tesco, if and when they ever do stop using plastic bags altogether I hope the authorities encourage people to carry strong, multi-use bags made from natural fibres - and with handles!- rather than going down the paper bag route.

IMG20191104134304(1).thumb.jpg.a6fa5d42ab79f0806e9f2d972e642a82.jpg

I'm old enough to remember when Tesco in the UK used to sell everything in brown paper bags with the product name printed on it. I thought my memory might have been playing tricks on me, but mentioned it in a UK forum and someone who used to work for them confirmed it was true.

1 hour ago, HHTel said:

Do keep up!  Most major retailers and associations will stop issuing single use bags from Jan 1st.  7/11 have already implemented the policy in 137 stores ahead of the full network next month.

Well I guess the 7/11 stores near us are not part of the 137 stores who have got the message.

We have to tell them no plastic bag please even when we purchase just a single product

22 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Tesco have been handing out brown paper bags for months on Wednesday's; they are just one of several stores that agreed to stop dishing out plastic bags on one day a week.   Rimping don't use plastic on Wednesday's either but offer cardboard boxes instead.

Some people seem to be a long way behind with the news !

Wednesday is just not normally a shopping day for us at Tesco, my sincere apologies for any confusion????

2 hours ago, Denim said:

They should have smaller shopping trolleys. Then if you forget to bring your own shopping bag you can just put everything back in the trolley and wheel it to the car. The big ones are to large to maneuver narrow spaces.

As for plastic bags, what do most people do with them when they get home ? Throw them away or use them as bin liners ? Most people I know use them as bin liners. So if they are not provided you will just have to buy black plastic bin liners instead.

What they should be trying to invent is a bio degradable bag other than paper.

We have them already, but for some reason the big plastic manufacturing companies do not want to make them, Maybe oil money talks louder.......

https://www.core77.com/posts/68988/This-Cassava-Based-Plastic-Bag-Alternative-is-Biodegradable-Even-Edible

3 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Try to carry a quite big paper bag full of food on a bike, or maybe you have to walk a while going back home. Paper bags without handles are for americans going to the supermarket by car.  

And the bottoms still fall out if they get the least bit wet.  50's driveways were paved with milk and eggs.

15 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

Many companies have  overcome this potential problem by a simple tab on the screw top.It breaks off when you turn the top and obviously its easy to see.Broken tab ,don't buy 

6 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Try to carry a quite big paper bag full of food on a bike, or maybe you have to walk a while going back home. Paper bags without handles are for americans going to the supermarket by car.  

As mentioned before, these kinds of concerns can be resolved 100% by taking your own bags--even pre-used plastic bags--with you when you leave home.  It's so easy.

6 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Is it that hard, or expensive, to go and buy some nylon or cloth bags and just take them to the supermarket ?

We are still using bags we bought 10 years ago.  Just basic common sense.

Archived