Nan Immigration is the Best!

Fore Man

My wife and I recently moved our official home to Nan Province, where I sallied forth today to extend my Non-Imm type O visa for retirement reasons. Over the past 15 years, I had become accustomed to the annual drudgery of extending in Chiang Mai, and to say the least, I found the procedure at Nan to be far less stressful and well, practically an enjoyable one if such a thing is possible. In a total of 40 minutes I spent inside the office, I only saw two other westerners who dropped by to process their extensions. The one sergeant who handled my case was a picture of friendliness and efficiency, taking care of all aspects of my extension, including my habitual ME visa stamp.  No handing off to a series of sullen, overworked and under-appreciated officers as I’d been through at Chiang Mai.  No need to employ an expensive agent. We needed to pop downtown to my bank to make the necessary same-day deposit and passbook update, but other than this the process was the epitome of ease and speed.  The sergeant handed me a newer version of TM-7 & TM-8...perhaps favored by their office...and asked me to fill them out in blue ink.  

They also gave me a stock form which laid out overstay penalties and had me read it over and sign it.  Easy-peasy!  Done and gone to enjoy the bulk of my day.  No quibbling over how my THB 800,000 was coded in my passbook either.  No prolonged wait to complete TM-8 processing, which usually required two extra hours at CM.  The officer even took care of my upcoming 90-day extension without being asked. Yes, the Nan office is small but they even had a free coffee and bottled water station set up for visitor use. Every member of the small staff was smiling, harkening back to the Thailand I wistfully remembered from my earlier travels. 

The other salient observation I can make in comparing Nan to Chiang Mai is that the AQI is markedly improved in Nan.  Most farmers here do not burn their fields after harvesting crops, in vivid contrast to Chiang Mai and their local denizens’ penchant to burn everything and anything in sight.  Nan is making significant highway upgrades and there is a  long range plan to build a brand new, private hospital there by a large Thai medical corporation. The RTAF also operates a pretty decent nine hole golf course situated across the airfield from Nan’s municipal airport. The folks we met in Nan seemed to be far friendlier and relaxed as well and not rushing pell-mell to get about their business.  Nan is the Switzerland of Thailand, chock full of beautiful mountains and bucolic vistas everywhere one might venture. We saw several large displacement motorcycle tour groups out on the roads and they appeared to be having a wonderful time. 

My only regret is not moving away from Chiang Mai sooner...but until now I’d always assumed it was too backwards for my liking.  Not any more!  IMHO Nan is the new best-kept secret of Thailand. this experience has reinvigorated me completely and erased all those ‘less than satisfactory experiences’ (a euphemism to be sure) I’d undergone at Chiang Mai Immigration in the past and the angst I have lived with in dealing with CM’s toxic environment.  

for many fellow readers who are down on Thailand, often with ample reason nowadays, I encourage you to consider Nan and other more remote provinces as potential resettlement locales.  It could change you in many good ways!

10 minutes ago, Fore Man said:

MHO Nan is the new best-kept secret of Thailand. 

You lonely already ?   If i found a best kept secret ( i have) ........ I would keep it to myself ( i have).

But good luck in your new home.  Let us know about the AQI  when the smoke really starts.

I think it might be just as bad there  ( it is in Chiangrai)  ,  but maybe not.

5 minutes ago, rumak said:

You lonely already ?   If i found a best kept secret ( i have) ........ I would keep it to myself ( i have).

But good luck in your new home.  Let us know about the AQI  when the smoke really starts.

I think it might be just as bad there  ( it is in Chiangrai)  ,  but maybe not.

Yes, Nan had a few bad spots at the height of the burning season earlier this year but compared to the disaster zone that Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai have become, Nan is far healthier and almost always exhibits daily AQI readings that are well below those in its neighboring provinces. My wife tells me it’s a cultural thing here that doesn’t rely on burning everything flammable.  

Liked your post Fore Man - we got right out of LOS, but the missus' best friend comes from Nan and so my wife visited there many times. Good luck for the future - I doubt we will ever return permanently to LOS though - but if and when I might just check the place out. I don't play golf much, but it would have to be better than Green Valley (CM) !

1 minute ago, Aussiepeter said:

Good luck for the future - I doubt we will ever return permanently to LOS though

A little off topic but as I creep towards retirement and understand my wife would love to return to LOS on a permanent basis on my retirement, I really don't have the same desire.  A few months a year at best, but not permanent.  

9 minutes ago, Aussiepeter said:

Liked your post Fore Man - we got right out of LOS, but the missus' best friend comes from Nan and so my wife visited there many times. Good luck for the future - I doubt we will ever return permanently to LOS though - but if and when I might just check the place out. I don't play golf much, but it would have to be better than Green Valley (CM) !

Aussiepeter,

Yes, I hear you.  We sold a big home at GVCC to fund our way elsewhere and now plan to split our time between South Carolina and Nan Province. GVCC has experienced considerable grooming and maintenance problems this past year to the point where I essentially stopped playing there.  It was super convenient but disappointing to a guy who could find a far better setting at venues such as Royal Chiang Mai, Mae Jo, North Hill and even way out at Chiang Mai Highlands. 

Read your story with interest and recognize it. I have visited Nan Imm. for the last 11 years and have had each time a very friendly officer and always in and out within the hour, including a reentry visa. It was even busy when you saw 2 other westerns as normally I am the only one

The office nowadays is large as back then, opposite the airport, it was mainly a wooden shed, while now it is a very nice office.

That is the good thing, the other unknown for me is that now the Immigration office in Phrae has opened ,so next time no Nan but will have to find out  how it is in Phrae.

Been in Nan 18 months now. IO is great. They are not perfect, 500 baht for a residence certificate and no receipt (and yes I know this is common practice elsewhere and not the highest price). The slow pace of life in Nan province suits us, we are just east of Pua in the foothills of the mountains, so 60 odd kilometers north of Nan. Last burning season it was obvious we suffered less than the rest of northern Thailand although there were three days where I'd never seen worse air pollution in my life. Having said that even on those days we were a long way off having the worst AQI levels. Expecting 8-9 degree minimums at our place next several days.

48 minutes ago, BoganInParasite said:

Been in Nan 18 months now. IO is great. They are not perfect, 500 baht for a residence certificate and no receipt (and yes I know this is common practice elsewhere and not the highest price). The slow pace of life in Nan province suits us, we are just east of Pua in the foothills of the mountains, so 60 odd kilometers north of Nan. Last burning season it was obvious we suffered less than the rest of northern Thailand although there were three days where I'd never seen worse air pollution in my life. Having said that even on those days we were a long way off having the worst AQI levels. Expecting 8-9 degree minimums at our place next several days.

I can relate to your impressions and experiences. Today we drove up to Sakad to enjoy the high mountain roads and stunning views. Had an expensive coffee too at the popular Sakad Dee Homestay cafe. It was worth the price just for the gorgeous views. I’ve seen similar vistas going to Samoeng and on the road to Pai, but northern Nan beats them both hands down. 

Nan Immi a great visit! I'm sooo glad I don't have to drive the 2 1/2 hours to be told come back after lunch (11:30) or photocopy B50 or any of the things that might break up a conversation in the office! You liked it, well good luck with that!

A postscript is warranted...in addition to my OP, I should add that I brought along a full photocopy of my passport, signed on each page copy, plus my Tambien Baan yellow book.  Nothing else besides my bank book and completed TM forms and photos was requested by the officer. It certainly didn’t hurt that my wife, a native of the province, accompanied me and said/did all the right things to make the sergeant’s job a pleasant one.   I’m still a bit shell-shocked because this was so incredibly easy.  Why it can’t be this way in Chiang Mai?  The sergeant made a side remark upon hearing me ask the same question to my wife, and he responded matter of factly...”because Chiang Mai immigration has too many customers to take care of”. He didn’t disparage either his fellow officers in CM or the occasionally (frequently?) rude foreigner that seems to crop up there and I appreciated his understanding, politic attitude. People usually mimic the behavior and comportment of those they are confronted with and it is certainly no less so with front line immigration officials. 

I am pleased that you are so happy in Nan.  I did my yearly extension here in Chiang Rai this week and my experience was no less wonderful than your own.  A few more people (three people before me) but everything went smoothly, the OI was very efficient and we even had a moment or two for a little banter and commentary.  

I reckon Jomtien is up there with Nan, I went on wednesday to do my retirement extention, arrived at 1.00PM, got a number 885, started processing from number 851. thought to myself going to be a long wait, to my surprise i was processed and out the door by 2.20PM. Staff vert courtious and pleasant to deal with. Thank you.

On 12/4/2019 at 5:28 PM, Fore Man said:

Yes, Nan had a few bad spots at the height of the burning 

Thanks for sharing about Nan immigration.

I have fair share of unfriendly immigration officers in Chiang Mai for the past few years. 

It has improved last year but there are still stern faces around. I can't blame them because I think the number of tourists in Chiang Mai is 10,000 more than Nan.

How's the rental there like for a house with land?

I've been to Nan, it's very, very pretty.  Of course it won't appeal to some, while being paradise to others.  It's not a place to get bar girls or find western food or big malls or foreigners or the beach or lots of activity or really any activity......and some love that.  I have a feeling Nan will be great well after we all have died.   this would be the place for your "second home" after you get tired of the traffic and you need to recharge.   haven't been there in february, march or april so I'm not sure about the smoke.   I have been to immigration, very friendly.  I was with a Thai lady and I'm sure that helped speed things along.  

Archived