Thai baht is likely to weaken, central bank deputy governor says

snoop1130

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, lujanit said:

Weaker? Not my experience yesterday when I transferred AUD to baht via Transferwise. The baht was stronger than a month ago.

Different story here the dollar is a bit stronger than my tramsfer last month. they are trying to lower the value aganist major trading currencies. 

13 hours ago, Brigand said:

A mix of both, but the pound could well go up a noticeable amount after the election result if there is a Tory majority. A hung parliament or a Labour coalition will send it tumbling again. Once there is some certainty in the UK for the markets to be relaxed about and the baht starts to go where it belongs then the pound might well head back towards what it's really worth ... which is about 50-55 baht.  

20 years back in the golden, dare I say hedonistic age when we Brits revelled in 70 thb to the quid, life here was a blast. Now in my dotage, medical bills are higher than entertainment.

I would be more than happy if it climbed however slowly to 50 - 55.  

1 minute ago, Isaan sailor said:

If the Baht has gained 7-1/2% on the USD this year—then it should weaken, by 7-1/2% ASAP.  Let the economy crash—they certainly deserve it.

Let it drop 20 or more percent. Then hear the whining on here about the cost of cooking gas, diesel and petrol.

As the cost of imported goods rises as the baht weakens the resident expat posters will go in to meltdown. The ' I told you so ' Brexit threads will be interesting reading.

6 hours ago, MaxYakov said:

And HERE is the X-Rates USD graph showing around 30.30 on December 4th. Where can I get 30.30/USD? I can't get that at Bangkok Bank, that's for sure (because their profit/cut on the transaction).

Max, using a no-surcharge American bank issued credit card purchase—you will get very close to that published international rate.

1 hour ago, IAMHERE said:

Where does this gold come from; I thought the only gold mine in Thailand had been shut down.

From all the money sponsors send there one and onlies in pattaya,that coupled with amount of gold the punters buy  for their " girlfriends " that they immediately pawn, pattayas probably sitting on higher gold reserves than South africa.

25 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

Let the economy crash—they certainly deserve it.

I hope it doesnt crash. Thais lose their income, debts to the banks dont get repaid, banks get in trouble. I have money in the bank. Ouch. Thoughts anyone?

1 hour ago, IAMHERE said:

Where does this gold come from; I thought the only gold mine in Thailand had been shut down.

Despite the recent spike in exports, Thailand has still imported a net $43.6 billion of gold since 2009 - although that includes imports for use in jewelry and religious items in the largely Buddhist country as well as by gold traders. Thailand produces very little gold and the flow is driven by trading.

image.png.2db0cb4bfbde762081f0141a89b2d218.png

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-thailand-economy-gold/gold-a-new-headache-for-thai-central-bank-as-baht-surges-idUSKBN1WQ170

Having shutdown the Kingsgate mine in 2014 under Article 44, gold imports seem to be the primary supply for gold in Thailand unless Thailand is exporting some of BOT's gold reserves. Judging from the chart above, Thailand is overall a negative net importer of gold since 2010.

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Bank of Thailand remains concerned about the strength of the baht and is ready to take action against any rapid gains, either through intervention or additional steps, Mathee said.

On Wednesday, the central bank, the Federation of Thai Industries and commercial banks discussed how to handle the baht's strength, he said, without giving further details.

They have done nothing at all.

More than 6 months now and the problem is still the same

and they are still discussing how to handle it?

At least all these overpayed incompetents should be fired

3 minutes ago, potless said:

I hope it doesnt crash. Thais lose their income, debts to the banks dont get repaid, banks get in trouble. I have money in the bank. Ouch. Thoughts anyone?

Up to you where you put your wonga,just remember what go,'es up must come down,being a visitor to los it's getting on my tits paying London prices,the pattaya bars it would appear too,mate of mines just come back and said it's like a ghost town.

26 minutes ago, potless said:

The people who are saying the economy here will crash are the people who don't have any money and want a better exchange rate, either that or they're dreaming about visiting Thailand from a bedsit in Croydon. 

For all the moaning that's been taking place and for all the articles that have been published, the Thai economy is actually in fairly decent shape. Moody's has just upgraded the credit worthiness of three top Thai banks (unlike the UK where they're all being downgraded); exports have just come off an all time high of USD 22 bill per month and fallen to around 19 bill, a volume last seen three years ago; tourist numbers, Thailand's second string to its economic bow, continue to grow; foreign debt is extremely low, foreign currency reserves are extremely high. Your money in a Thai bank is very safe.

Archived