Transport Ministry offers free vehicle checkups nationwide ahead of New Year holidays

snoop1130

Transport Ministry offers free vehicle checkups nationwide ahead of New Year holidays

efb577f7c1ceb273d4a22b38740f601b_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Ministry of Transport has offered free vehicle checkup services nationwide, in a bid to reduce the number of road accidents, ahead of the New Year holiday period.

According to Transport Minister Saksayam Chidchob, the campaign is in effect from now until the end of the month, with about 2,300 ad hoc kiosks being erected throughout the Kingdom.

It is expected that the move will help reduce the number of road accidents during the long end-of-year holiday season by reducing vehicle malfunctions.

Minister Saksayam elaborated that officials will go through a motor maintenance checklist, such as oil and coolant levels, tire pressure and tread depth, headlights, turn signals, break and parking lights. He further pointed out that the free maintenance kiosks will display a clear sign indicating the availability of the service.

Additionally, the Office of Vocational Education Commission will deploy a number of their mechanic students at another 259 spots, along some of the busiest roads across the nation, to provide similar services.

Saksayam also warned motorists against speeding, saying officials will establish checkpoints to monitor traffic on Bangkok’s several in-bound and out-bound routes, while adding that a 24-hour traffic center will be established to facilitate traffic flow during the period.

A large number of people, especially in the capital, traditionally return to their province of origin or take a trip during the New Year holiday period.

nnt.jpg

-- © Copyright NNT 2019-12-04

51 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

The Ministry of Transport has offered free vehicle checkup services nationwide, in a bid to reduce the number of road accidents

There's nothing wrong with the vehicles. They should do  serious checkups on the drivers instead.

When are they going to get it into their heads.

It is not the double decker buses or the mini buses , nor is it the cars , pick ups or motor bikes.

It is the people in control of said vehicles that are the problem.

Plus weak to non existent testing to obtain licenses ( if they bother ) , lack of police enforcement on the roads .

Piddly little fines .

At holiday times , they have volunteers in roadside tents , who everytime I pass one is empty or they are messing about with their phones.

The list goes on.

Biggest problems for road safety in Thailand (in no special order, numbered only for reference):

1) Lack of courtesy

2) "Me first" culture

3) "Me only" mindset

4) Slow reflexes

5) Alcohol

6) Poor decision-making skills

7) Lack of education in motor vehicle operation

8 ) U-turns

9) Wrong-way traffic

10) Great variance in road speeds among road users (e.g. ox-cart versus sports car)

11) Tinted glass

12) Invincible motorcyclists

13) Irascibility

14) Inability to plan ahead

15) Illiteracy / failure to read

16) Pure selfishness

17) Lack of spatial skills

18) Lack of perspicacity

3 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

It is expected that the move will help reduce the number of road accidents during the long end-of-year holiday season

illustrates how radically out-of-touch those folks are ; thai drivers are the problem, not their cars

10 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

Biggest problems for road safety in Thailand (in no special order, numbered only for reference):

1) Lack of courtesy

2) "Me first" culture

3) "Me only" mindset

4) Slow reflexes

5) Alcohol

8 ) U-turns

9) Wrong-way traffic

10) Great variance in road speeds among road users (e.g. ox-cart versus sports car)

11) Tinted glass

13) Irascibility

16) Pure selfishness

18) Lack of perspicacity

To this I would add poor road planning and engineering, allowing pinch points to develop, lack of signage for clear routes to and from highways, lanes suddenly ending, poor signage and protection at roadworks, cheap construction and repairs, mixture of traffic types from bicycles to heavy trucks, you get the picture.

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Ministry of Transport has offered free vehicle checkup services nationwide, in a bid to reduce the number of road accidents, ahead of the New Year holiday period.

Good move! But what do you do if it turns out that the vehicle is not safe? Do you have it repaired at your expense or ...?
It is not enough to know that the vehicle is not safe, but make sure it is repaired!

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

the Office of Vocational Education Commission will deploy a number of their mechanic students

Yeah, young lads in their first year are left to do these checks... Doesn't instill much confidence. 

13 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

1) Lack of courtesy

2) "Me first" culture

3) "Me only" mindset

4) Slow reflexes

5) Alcohol

8 ) U-turns

9) Wrong-way traffic

11) Tinted glass

13) Irascibility

16) Pure selfishness

18) Lack of perspicacity

19) Lane hogging

20) Undertaking

If their free test is anything like the yearly test, this must be a joke....????

Do they actually know what ball joints, track rod ends, suspension bushes, leaf springs etc are, and what they do......?

I don't fink so....Never seen any of that stuff checked....????

18 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

1) Lack of courtesy

2) "Me first" culture

3) "Me only" mindset

4) Slow reflexes

5) Alcohol

8 ) U-turns

9) Wrong-way traffic

11) Tinted glass

13) Irascibility

16) Pure selfishness

18) Lack of perspicacity

What's a lack of perspex got to do with it?.......

On 12/5/2019 at 11:14 AM, Grusa said:

19) Lane hogging

20) Undertaking

21) Lack of brains to think with

For example: Who in their right minds is going to go for a check up knowing that if they fail, the vehicle stays there? Most folk who drive a deathtrap, do so not because they don't know it's a deathtrap, but because they can't afford to replace it.

Doing something about moronic governments would be a better start. IMHO, the major problem with Thai driving is that the police do not enforce the law, they are merely useless and pointless appendages to give the appearance of Thai laws having some kind of purpose.

On 12/5/2019 at 10:15 AM, Almer said:

Why is it thai motorists behave the way they do, how can any person ride a motorcycle at night with no lights with there family on board, why why why?

You forgot to mention that they were speeding, ghost riding (against traffic) wearing only shorts and slippers and that none of them were wearing helmets. 

Answer:  Tamai?  Mai pen rai.  (why?  No problem.)

On 12/5/2019 at 10:15 AM, Almer said:

Why is it thai motorists behave the way they do, how can any person ride a motorcycle at night with no lights with there family on board, why why why?

Not allowed to call Thais stupid. Verboten.

Archived