Neighbours dog nearly bites me

I was walking my dog with my 5 yr old and one of the neighbours dogs got out of its gate and ran for me very close to biting me. I had a stick and gave him one hit on the head and muma owner came over giving me verbal abuse and angry looks. This woman has 6 or 7 of this small breed feral variety. They are quite neglected and look like they've never had a bath. 

A yr ago I had the same problem with these dogs and this woman. She was letting them all out for a walk in the land across from their shack- around the same time that I was walking my dog everyday. To solve the problem we got her phone number and we would call each afternoon to see if she had finished walking her dogs. The owner of that land put a sign up telling everyone no dogs are to go on his land. From then on she would always keep them locked up. 

I assume Im in the wrong for hitting the dog but its just a natural reaction in a dangerous situation. I think we will have to go and chat with them soon to 'smooth things out'....

if it was attacking you then you are in your right to protect yourself as they are supposed to be on a lead if outside their property, they are not allowed to just run free and attack people 

2 hours ago, ubonr1971 said:

one of the neighbours dogs got out of its gate and ran for me very close to biting me.

Well if her dog bit you she would be in trouble maybe she doesn't know that, so that would be my take.

There are so many ignorant Thai people dog owners here so kids here are more of a concern to me than you, not only that my my dog would of protected me unlike yours. 

Explain that you are going to the hospital to have any wound cleaned and have rabies shots. ฿3400.-. but ฿2000 OK.

I go running often and I take a stick, they know what that means which doesn't mean that the one or the other won't try an attack from the rear.

A month ago I was bitten and did have to go through the whole hospital / shots business, difference is that I showed the blood running down my leg to a neighbour and next day the dog was gone.

You are not in the wrong at all. You defended yourself, your child and the dog. 

Her pitiful excuse for ownership and turning these pets into rabid animals forced your hand, that's not your fault. 

Ignore the woman, continue taking your stick with you on your walks, if any dogs come near you in an aggressive manner the same response is not overkill. 

I carry a weighted, extendable baton when I take the dogs out for as walk, or ride my bike. I have had to threaten  to use it once, on a soi dog, that quickly backed off. In LOS you do need to protect yourself against dogs, either soi, or owned, and if the owner doesn't like it, well that's just tough titty.    

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You are not in the wrong at all. You defended yourself, your child and the dog. 

Her pitiful excuse for ownership and turning these pets into rabid animals forced your hand, that's not your fault. 

Ignore the woman, continue taking your stick with you on your walks, if any dogs come near you in an aggressive manner the same response is not overkill. 

I agree with you. I  just hope the hubby doesnt come out and beat me up. 

I asked my wife to call the woman later that same night. She had calmed down by that stage, as I had, and she said it must have accidentally got out and wouldnt happen again. see what happens

On 12/5/2019 at 9:41 PM, ubonr1971 said:

I agree with you. I  just hope the hubby doesnt come out and beat me up. 

I asked my wife to call the woman later that same night. She had calmed down by that stage, as I had, and she said it must have accidentally got out and wouldnt happen again. see what happens

You can not blame the dog for having a <deleted>ty owner. But you can make friends with the dogs to avoid having any future problems.

Just buy some snacks or even bread, and before you know it, dog will be running out to greet you instead of trying to attack you.

I have more than a few dogs, all large size and half are pitbuls. My neighbors are terrified of me and the dogs, even though i never let them outside the gate. One direct neighbor, directly opposite was beyond terrified. I told her not to worry, not only they do not bite people they know but they do not get to go outside the gate. 

She could not bring herself to meeting them or going anywhere near them, BUT  was smart enough to decide to make friendly with them. 

Every morning she would give the biggest pitbul some buttered bread or snacks. it turned into religious ritual, he would be waiting by the gate at certain time waiting for her and if she would not come, he would call her making silly noises.

Not only she made friends with him, but even dared to touch him and now whenever i take them for walk, comes over to pet them.

Point i am making, is dogs unlike people can not chose their owners and may well be neglected, but you being superior being, can be smarter and more compassionate. instead of hitting the dog, bring him some food, make friends with him and you kill two birds with one stone. No problems with a neighbor and no problems with a dog ????

On 12/5/2019 at 4:55 PM, cooked said:

Explain that you are going to the hospital to have any wound cleaned and have rabies shots. ฿3400.-. but ฿2000 OK.

Why when you can get the same at a local clinic for about ฿450. OK to tell them the higher number , I guess, if you must.

12 hours ago, BestB said:

You can not blame the dog for having a <deleted>ty owner. But you can make friends with the dogs to avoid having any future problems.

Just buy some snacks or even bread, and before you know it, dog will be running out to greet you instead of trying to attack you.

I have more than a few dogs, all large size and half are pitbuls. My neighbors are terrified of me and the dogs, even though i never let them outside the gate. One direct neighbor, directly opposite was beyond terrified. I told her not to worry, not only they do not bite people they know but they do not get to go outside the gate. 

She could not bring herself to meeting them or going anywhere near them, BUT  was smart enough to decide to make friendly with them. 

Every morning she would give the biggest pitbul some buttered bread or snacks. it turned into religious ritual, he would be waiting by the gate at certain time waiting for her and if she would not come, he would call her making silly noises.

Not only she made friends with him, but even dared to touch him and now whenever i take them for walk, comes over to pet them.

Point i am making, is dogs unlike people can not chose their owners and may well be neglected, but you being superior being, can be smarter and more compassionate. instead of hitting the dog, bring him some food, make friends with him and you kill two birds with one stone. No problems with a neighbor and no problems with a dog ????

I understand what you're saying and have done that with dogs in another city a few yrs ago. 

The other day when the incident happened all so fast my emotional response was to protect myself and my kid. We were both scared and I didnt have any treats on me. 

But I suppose I could try that method when I next walk past the gate and they are all jumping up barking at me- although the owners might think Im trying to do the poison sausage trick. 

At the moment Im more worried about being the next one hit with a stick or worse from these people

10 hours ago, ubonr1971 said:

I understand what you're saying and have done that with dogs in another city a few yrs ago. 

The other day when the incident happened all so fast my emotional response was to protect myself and my kid. We were both scared and I didnt have any treats on me. 

But I suppose I could try that method when I next walk past the gate and they are all jumping up barking at me- although the owners might think Im trying to do the poison sausage trick. 

At the moment Im more worried about being the next one hit with a stick or worse from these people

Just buy some snacks and go over, owner will see the packaging that its just snacks, If she says anything, just show snacks and say you want be friend with dogs. She will love you after that, so will the dogs

As i said, sometimes, its easy to outsmart or i should say be smarter and kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Can buy some snacks for 30-40 baht or big jar for 100 baht and use it as treats with your own 

On 12/7/2019 at 11:16 AM, VocalNeal said:

Why when you can get the same at a local clinic for about ฿450. OK to tell them the higher number , I guess, if you must.

Yes I'm sure that a series of five injections can be had for ฿450 including doctor's consultation. 

On 12/6/2019 at 4:00 PM, BestB said:

Over compensatory nonsense. Animals must be subordinate to humans. Children are savaged by dogs and the cause of the dogs hate is irrelevant.  No excuses.

On 12/6/2019 at 11:00 PM, BestB said:

This is for sure not the fix for the problem. Might even increase the risk for other people since the dogs might want to get food from them too. They also might get the feeling that this is their territory. The dogs simply should not be allowed to be outside if they don't know how to behave. Otherwise they should face the consequences. There is no need to wait until they bite you. 

2 hours ago, Beggar said:

This is for sure not the fix for the problem. Might even increase the risk for other people since the dogs might want to get food from them too. They also might get the feeling that this is their territory. The dogs simply should not be allowed to be outside if they don't know how to behave. Otherwise they should face the consequences. There is no need to wait until they bite you. 

You speaking from experience I assume? Real life experience not what you think might , could , maybe 

2 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Over compensatory nonsense. Animals must be subordinate to humans. Children are savaged by dogs and the cause of the dogs hate is irrelevant.  No excuses.

I guess that’s the difference between having experience and just being internet expert ????

36 minutes ago, BestB said:

You speaking from experience I assume? Real life experience not what you think might , could , maybe 

I write "might" because it depends on the dog. Not all behave the same way. And this is exactly the problem you face when you meet a dog. You don't know how the dog will behave especially if it is aggressive. 

I myself got bitten by a Soi dog (in front of a 7-Eleven) and threatened often - one time for instance by 8 very aggressive dogs. Motorbike taxi drivers rescued me. All this within the city center of Pattaya.

36 minutes ago, Beggar said:

I write "might" because it depends on the dog. Not all behave the same way. And this is exactly the problem you face when you meet a dog. You don't know how the dog will behave especially if it is aggressive. 

I myself got bitten by a Soi dog (in front of a 7-Eleven) and threatened often - one time for instance by 8 very aggressive dogs. Motorbike taxi drivers rescued me. All this within the city center of Pattaya.

Dogs are not humans and all have same kind of behaviour traits. Now you comparing homeless dog to one with a home. Perhaps best to read a little about dogs and it’s behaviour to avoid having problems . 20 years of riding , walking, running and never been bitten or threatened by homeless dogs, never been bitten by neighbors dogs or any other kind of dog and I have 9 of my own and walk them outside and again with no problems 

14 minutes ago, BestB said:

Dogs are not humans and all have same kind of behaviour traits. Now you comparing homeless dog to one with a home. Perhaps best to read a little about dogs and it’s behaviour to avoid having problems . 20 years of riding , walking, running and never been bitten or threatened by homeless dogs, never been bitten by neighbors dogs or any other kind of dog and I have 9 of my own and walk them outside and again with no problems 

You are a lucky person. Let's take my 7-Eleven experience where I got bitten. When I entered the shop there was no dog there. When I left the shop a dog was lying in front of the door (it was very hot and then they often look for cooler places). So I had to step over it. I didn't touch it and I was perhaps two meters away already when it came from behind and without any warning bit me. 

1 minute ago, Beggar said:

You are a lucky person. Let's take my 7-Eleven experience where I got bitten. When I entered the shop there was no dog there. When I left the shop a dog was lying in front of the door (it was very hot and then they often look for cooler places). So I had to step over it. I didn't touch it and I was perhaps two meters away already when it came from behind and without any warning bit me. 

That’s your side of the story, let’s hear it from the dog and see what he/she has to say????

7 hours ago, cooked said:

Yes I'm sure that a series of five injections can be had for ฿450 including doctor's consultation. 

Well I was bitten once by accident while playing with a friends dog. Went to a hospital on Sukhumvit, Bangkok.  Had a bandage wrapped around my leg with some Betadine and given the first rabies shot.  Cost me north of 4000 Baht. Went to a local clinic on the corner of soi 48 with the book the hospital gave me and received the balance of the shots in series for less than 400 baht a pop.

Up to you where you go!.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2019 at 6:38 PM, seajae said:

if it was attacking you then you are in your right to protect yourself as they are supposed to be on a lead if outside their property, they are not allowed to just run free and attack people 

If you are threatened with any harm or assault from any living creature, you hit out, and that also includes humans.

Archived