BANGKOK
thailandsgreat

Is ATM-card/iBanking safe in Thailand?

I just connected a Mastercard and Internet banking to my accounts in Bangkok bank.

Is there any "considerable" risk in doing this?

I have the same arrangement in my country in northern Europe. Banks totally suck but they love cards so they refund losses immediately.

I had cards skimmed twice in different South American countries. My bank was poor in making things work, but the money frauded was immediately compensated as soon as I got home.

If my Thai Mastercard would be skimmed, or some other "Internet fraud" would hit my account, would Bangkok Bank be likely to compensate me as long as I kept card and codes safe?

Edited by thailandsgreat
  • Haha 1

A troll post from a previously banned member along with replies have been removed.

17 hours ago, thailandsgreat said:

If my Thai Mastercard would be skimmed, or some other "Internet fraud"

Is it a credit card (embossed with name) or a debit card?

In both cases: note down the three digit security number from the backside and then scratch it off (unreadable).

Gives a bit more security against misuse at internet shops.

I am not up-to-date about the security measures for Thai >credit< cards.

• Like 2

Just use cash - never had a problem 🙂 

22 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

If your new ATM card works with a chip and 6 digit pin (very likely) then classic skimming is highly unlikely (magnetic stripes will be out-phased/not work after 15 Jan 2020 anyway).

Internet banking?

I use it with three banks since 8 years without problems (actually one bank since 2009).

The website encryptions are rated good to very good.

Pishing/fishing? By theory it should not do harm in combination with the OTP via SMS.

In EU countries SMS OTP was abolished because it was possible to get a "replacement" SIM without without proper identification at some countries.

Just did a test of server encryption for Bangkok Bank: A+

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=ibanking.bangkokbank.com

The real problem with Thai banks are crooked clerks/staff.

Yes 6 dig pin and chip. Good to hear no reports of problems from you guys.

Last time I was skimmed was last year in Mexico. 4 digit pin and chip as I remember. Thailand is safer, maybe.

Maybe I didn't understand the "SMS-service" they offered. So I rejected it. When I use the ATM I get a One Time Password by SMS to input in the ATM for each withdrawal? I should probably sign up for that when I return to the office.

The staff is special. As I should input my pin during registration a lady came in, stood right behind  me and chatted with staff as I input the new pin. So I later changed pin in ATM.

Edited by thailandsgreat

4 minutes ago, thailandsgreat said:

When I use the ATM I get a One Time Password by SMS to input in the ATM for each withdrawa?

No. OTP (one time password via SMS to cellphone) is for internet banking.

Aside from that there is SMS notification (extra cost) which would send SMS for every transaction on your account be it at the counter, ATM or elsewhere.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Is it a credit card (embossed with name) or a debit card?

In both cases: note down the three digit security number from the backside and then scratch it off (unreadable).

Gives a bit more security against misuse at internet shops.

I am not up-to-date about the security measures for Thai >credit< cards.

Debit, no embossing, no name.

Neat trick, scratching off the CVC. In some countries tellers demand to examine or photocopy the card.

• Like 2

If you loose the card, someone could pay at checkout without signature/PIN up to a certain limit (forgot the number I have seen at Tesco, maybe 1500?).

• Like 1

On 12/5/2019 at 3:18 PM, KhunBENQ said:

No. OTP (one time password via SMS to cellphone) is for internet banking.

Aside from that there is SMS notification (extra cost) which would send SMS for every transaction on your account be it at the counter, ATM or elsewhere.

OK. You guys have not had any fraud problems, good to know. I think I skip SMS service and tie up all my accounts to Internet banking and check regularly that way.

I keep less money on the account with a card. Transfer of money between accounts is free no matter where in Thailand the accounts are opened, if I do it over the Internet, they said.

Thanks.

Edited by blackcab
Bold font removed. Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes or wording
  • Like 1

Never had a problem using an ATM card issued by a Thai bank here or overseas.

Mind you I have been lucky that they have not fallen into the wrong hands

If you are concerned  about  using an ATM that is new to you it is possible to check for skimmers by downloading the app Skimmer Scanner onto your mobile phone. This will allow you to check any ATM before you use it.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, thailandsgreat said:

and tie up all my accounts to Internet banking and check regularly that way.

Recommended.

3 hours ago, thailandsgreat said:

Transfer of money between accounts is free no matter where in Thailand the accounts are opened, if I do it over the Internet, they said.

Correct (very few banks are not in that pool, you likely won't come across).