Is ATM-card/iBanking safe in Thailand?

I just connected a Mastercard and Internet banking to my accounts in Bangkok bank.

Is there any "considerable" risk in doing this?

I have the same arrangement in my country in northern Europe. Banks totally suck but they love cards so they refund losses immediately.

I had cards skimmed twice in different South American countries. My bank was poor in making things work, but the money frauded was immediately compensated as soon as I got home.

If my Thai Mastercard would be skimmed, or some other "Internet fraud" would hit my account, would Bangkok Bank be likely to compensate me as long as I kept card and codes safe?

I happen to have 2 accounts (different jobs/locations over the last 15 years or so), and to reduce the financial risk I keep most of my money in 1 account with the book and ATM card locked in a safe. I just keep a small balance in the account where I carry the ATM card around with me. Not foolproof as it won't stop Internet fraud I guess, but it may make you feel a bit safer?

If your new ATM card works with a chip and 6 digit pin (very likely) then classic skimming is highly unlikely (magnetic stripes will be out-phased/not work after 15 Jan 2020 anyway).

Internet banking?

I use it with three banks since 8 years without problems (actually one bank since 2009).

The website encryptions are rated good to very good.

Pishing/fishing? By theory it should not do harm in combination with the OTP via SMS.

In EU countries SMS OTP was abolished because it was possible to get a "replacement" SIM without without proper identification at some countries.

Just did a test of server encryption for Bangkok Bank: A+

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=ibanking.bangkokbank.com

The real problem with Thai banks are crooked clerks/staff.

17 hours ago, thailandsgreat said:

If my Thai Mastercard would be skimmed, or some other "Internet fraud"

Is it a credit card (embossed with name) or a debit card?

In both cases: note down the three digit security number from the backside and then scratch it off (unreadable).

Gives a bit more security against misuse at internet shops.

I am not up-to-date about the security measures for Thai >credit< cards.

22 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

If your new ATM card works with a chip and 6 digit pin (very likely) then classic skimming is highly unlikely (magnetic stripes will be out-phased/not work after 15 Jan 2020 anyway).

Internet banking?

I use it with three banks since 8 years without problems (actually one bank since 2009).

The website encryptions are rated good to very good.

Pishing/fishing? By theory it should not do harm in combination with the OTP via SMS.

In EU countries SMS OTP was abolished because it was possible to get a "replacement" SIM without without proper identification at some countries.

Just did a test of server encryption for Bangkok Bank: A+

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=ibanking.bangkokbank.com

The real problem with Thai banks are crooked clerks/staff.

Yes 6 dig pin and chip. Good to hear no reports of problems from you guys.

Last time I was skimmed was last year in Mexico. 4 digit pin and chip as I remember. Thailand is safer, maybe.

Maybe I didn't understand the "SMS-service" they offered. So I rejected it. When I use the ATM I get a One Time Password by SMS to input in the ATM for each withdrawal? I should probably sign up for that when I return to the office.

The staff is special. As I should input my pin during registration a lady came in, stood right behind  me and chatted with staff as I input the new pin. So I later changed pin in ATM.

4 minutes ago, thailandsgreat said:

When I use the ATM I get a One Time Password by SMS to input in the ATM for each withdrawa?

No. OTP (one time password via SMS to cellphone) is for internet banking.

Aside from that there is SMS notification (extra cost) which would send SMS for every transaction on your account be it at the counter, ATM or elsewhere.

11 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Is it a credit card (embossed with name) or a debit card?

In both cases: note down the three digit security number from the backside and then scratch it off (unreadable).

Gives a bit more security against misuse at internet shops.

I am not up-to-date about the security measures for Thai >credit< cards.

Debit, no embossing, no name.

Neat trick, scratching off the CVC. In some countries tellers demand to examine or photocopy the card.

On 12/5/2019 at 3:18 PM, KhunBENQ said:

No. OTP (one time password via SMS to cellphone) is for internet banking.

Aside from that there is SMS notification (extra cost) which would send SMS for every transaction on your account be it at the counter, ATM or elsewhere.

OK. You guys have not had any fraud problems, good to know. I think I skip SMS service and tie up all my accounts to Internet banking and check regularly that way.

I keep less money on the account with a card. Transfer of money between accounts is free no matter where in Thailand the accounts are opened, if I do it over the Internet, they said.

Thanks.

3 hours ago, thailandsgreat said:

and tie up all my accounts to Internet banking and check regularly that way.

Recommended.

Transfer of money between accounts is free no matter where in Thailand the accounts are opened, if I do it over the Internet, they said.

Correct (very few banks are not in that pool, you likely won't come across).

4 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

If you loose the card, someone could pay at checkout without signature/PIN up to a certain limit (forgot the number I have seen at Tesco, maybe 1500?).

A friend of mine bought a 40" TV a year ago. It cost 10000 baht and no pin required when using his K-Bank debit card. I think you're talking about a contactless payment when you're just waving the card close to the terminal. The limit is 1500 baht.

14 minutes ago, Captain 776 said:

15+ yrs All over the world and 15 years here in Thailand never an issue

The problem with a thai debit card is if you loose it and someone finds it,it's possible to buy stuff at for example Tesco or Big C without entering a pin code. It's important to call the bank and cancel the card quickly.

I like using SCB card less withdrawal service there is no need for an ATM card. My SCB app on my phone generates a temporary pin for every withdrawal. All I have to do is walk up to a SCB ATM push the cardless ATM button and type in my phone number + the generated temporary pin. Works great no need to carry a card.

It is also good if my kids need money. They can walk up to the ATM and I tell them the temporay pin over the phone and they get the cash.  

7 hours ago, how241 said:
20 hours ago, abrahamzvi said:

Most certainly YES!

Agree.  10 years here and never any problems.

Ditto for me, 15+ years, never had a problem.  Quite efficient, actually.  But I will say the OP and everyone else should exercise appropriate care when using an ATM or online banking.  Plenty of crooks out there make a living trying to separate you from your money. 

5 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Ditto for me, 15+ years, never had a problem.  Quite efficient, actually.  But I will say the OP and everyone else should exercise appropriate care when using an ATM or online banking.  Plenty of crooks out there make a living trying to separate you from your money. 

Very true, I find the ATM and banking here better and more modern than in the USA.  My only advice is to try and not use ATM's that are not in very public places , due to possible skimming  devices. 

9 minutes ago, how241 said:

Very true, I find the ATM and banking here better and more modern than in the USA.  My only advice is to try and not use ATM's that are not in very public places , due to possible skimming  devices. 

I haven't read anything about skimming in a long time. You could read about it a few years ago in the newspapers and online.

1 minute ago, Max69xl said:

I haven't read anything about skimming in a long time. You could read about it a few years ago in the newspapers and online.

Very true, good point. Maybe the banks have gotten better at blocking them. 

The newspapers wrote about skimming devices on ATM:s. From my own experience and what I hear, I guess shops are more often the offenders than ATM:s, also reputable shops.

Some shops and gas stations (in other countries) skim cards regularly but still stay in the card network, I have heard. No bad rep should ever fall on the cards that are worshipped by the banks.

The shops are inside the system and are protected. It sounds better that an external villain put some contraption on the ATM, as the banks see it.

That is just a guess. But surely I have heard of more people having problems after shopping. Like me.

In many countries I go to ATM even if guesthouses accept card. In some countries guesthouses also add a fee to card payments. That is illegal in Europe. The only good thing known about the EU ????

Also the risk of blacklisting is less if you go to ATM. One card I had, suddenly started bouncing with airlines. I checked with airlines, travel agencies and my bank. They all said the card was ok. After a lot of asking I finally concluded airlines have secret blacklisting if you f.ex buy air tickets to African destinations. I changed the card when I got home and the problem disappeared.

On 12/6/2019 at 8:08 AM, how241 said:

From what I've read in various places, the UK system is ahead of the US one in this respect, but even in UK I always try and use the ATM INSIDE the bank rather than outside.

Even in the quiet suburban town where I live, there have been incidents of outside bank ATMs being fitted with skimming devices, especially overnight.

If I have to get cash when the banks are closed or I'm not near one, I use those in supermarkets with security present.

On 12/5/2019 at 10:27 PM, Sakeopete said:

I like using SCB card less withdrawal service there is no need for an ATM card. My SCB app on my phone generates a temporary pin for every withdrawal. All I have to do is walk up to a SCB ATM push the cardless ATM button and type in my phone number + the generated temporary pin. Works great no need to carry a card.

It is also good if my kids need money. They can walk up to the ATM and I tell them the temporay pin over the phone and they get the cash.  

I love the “cordless” as well. Never thought about being able to let the kid (or anyone) get money remotely, great idea.  

On 12/5/2019 at 10:27 PM, Sakeopete said:

So far Bangkok Bank will do for me. But if I should try another bank, which bank would be the choice?

I have a one year visa now. I hope that will make them let me open an account.

If this question is too much off topic, I hope moderators will tell me.

Edit

I guess you must also log into the SCB app? 

So far Bangkok Bank will do for me. But if I should try another bank, which bank would be the choice?

I have a one year visa now. I hope that will make them let me open an account.

If this question is too much off topic, I hope moderators will tell me.

Edit

I guess you must also log into the SCB app? 

I would try to open an account at Kasikorn Bank if I were you. They have a very good website and app. I'm banking with Bangkok Bank and K-Bank and I use them for different type of payments. K-Bank also has Cardless withdrawal. 

Archived