Is ATM-card/iBanking safe in Thailand?

19 hours ago, thailandsgreat said:

I hope moderators will tell me.

There is no simple answer. Every bank branch tends to make their own rules.

You just have to ask in each branch.

Sometimes, different staff in the same bank will have different requirements. You could get a No on Monday and a Yes on Tuesday from the same branch.

20 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Is there any point in deactivating the card via the App (can on my SCB) if the card could be cloned anyway ??

Wou;d it stop a cloned card actually working ??  No idea personally ??

If you lose your card or you're suspecting something is odd, you're supposed to call your bank and cancel it immediately. Then go to your branch and get a new card. 

18 hours ago, blackcab said:

There is no simple answer. Every bank branch tends to make their own rules.

You just have to ask in each branch.

Sometimes, different staff in the same bank will have different requirements. You could get a No on Monday and a Yes on Tuesday from the same branch.

I have come to understand that. That's why I ask you guys. I am in a  slightly bigger place now. One office wanted "a letter from the embassy" to open a second account in BB. But no problems in another branch.

Some years ago I was on tourist visa. I was recommended BB in Silom, but they refused to open an account. Finally I got my first account with Krungsri in a smaller place in the north. I suspected it was approved since I just happened to hold up the door for some bank clerks as I entered the office. One of them later handled my application  ????

I have never had a problem in the many years I have had a BKB & SCB cards but,

to be safe I use a feeder account

Meaning I keep the majority of my money in an account (BKB) that does not have ATM access

Then I transfer 5-10k at a time to the account that has the atm card

That way if anything ever did happen it would be a small deal to resolve

12 hours ago, Chivas said:

Is there any point in deactivating the card via the App (can on my SCB) if the card could be cloned anyway ??

Wou;d it stop a cloned card actually working ??  No idea personally ??

If you temporarily lock your card via the app then your card will not work at all. You will not be able to use it for buying things in a shop; you will not be able to use it to buy things online and you will not be able to use it in an ATM until you unlock the card.

A cloned card would be also be unable to be used.

2 hours ago, blackcab said:

If you temporarily lock your card via the app then your card will not work at all. You will not be able to use it for buying things in a shop; you will not be able to use it to buy things online and you will not be able to use it in an ATM until you unlock the card.

A cloned card would be also be unable to be used.

Thats good to know in entirety. Obviously I knew deactivating via app stopped all usage but certainly wasnt sure over any cloning

2 hours ago, thailandsgreat said:

I have come to understand that. That's why I ask you guys. I am in a  slightly bigger place now. One office wanted "a letter from the embassy" to open a second account in BB. But no problems in another branch.

Some years ago I was on tourist visa. I was recommended BB in Silom, but they refused to open an account. Finally I got my first account with Krungsri in a smaller place in the north. I suspected it was approved since I just happened to hold up the door for some bank clerks as I entered the office. One of them later handled my application  ????

Did you want to open a second account in another Bangkok Bank branch or at the same bank as your first account? If same branch, no documents are needed. 

47 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Did you want to open a second account in another Bangkok Bank branch or at the same bank as your first account? If same branch, no documents are needed. 

It was another "area". I wanted to deposit and withdraw without fee there. I also asked at the "cash registers" while withdrawing and not where accounts are handled, also busy hours. So that might have been it. Anyway, no problem at the other office.

1 hour ago, thailandsgreat said:

It was another "area". I wanted to deposit and withdraw without fee there. I also asked at the "cash registers" while withdrawing and not where accounts are handled, also busy hours. So that might have been it. Anyway, no problem at the other office.

The first branch's requirement was one out of several official documents for opening an account at Bangkok Bank, but the second branch skipped it. It's sometimes a lottery. 

Archived