Work permit workplace query

Hi everyone. Obtained a work permit for teaching last week. The wp details the location Bangkok and my place of work. If I work at a language centre other than the one mentioned in my work permit what may the ramifications be if visited by the authorities? Im getting mixed advice about this from, it would be no problem as rules changed a year or so ago to,  I would get a warning or, I would lose my wp and deported.

They could easily be not concerned and just tell you not to do it again. Or they could easily stick you in an immigration cell with thirty other lawbreakers until they can have you deported at your expense and banned from the country. Guess it depends on the mood of the person who catches you. However, you won't know until it happens.

I guess you've already decided to take the risk - just so as you know that all of the above can happen.

7 hours ago, Dominion said:

As far as I'm aware you can work in any area as long if it's in the province described in your WP. I work in a local school but I also work in another school on weekends that are within my province. This is perfectly acceptable.

No its not..  The law....Once granted, the foreigner has to bring the work permit all the time especially at the work place and during working hours. Please note that the foreigner can only perform the job stated in the work permit and on the specific employer.

• Like 1

Your work permit is specific to your declared location of work in your work permit. 

Normally this is a precise, specific, street address.

Thus, even if you work in the building next door, then if that address is not in your work permit, then you are in breech of your work permit rules and could easily find yourself arrested on the spot.

What to do so as to allow you to work in other locations:-

1. Have another location entered into the work permit.
  2. Have a generalised location, for example 'Teaching in University classrooms' added to your work permit.
  3. Teaching diving in hotel swimming pools.
  4. Teaching watersports in the Gulf of Siam.
  5. Teaching student pilots at airports in Thailand.

Get a good lawyer who deals with the work permit office to help create the correct wording that permits you to do what you need to do and which keeps the labor office happy.

I have even seen illegal professions such as 'Tour Guide' worded in this manner by describing what a tour guide does but not calling the work a 'tour guide' - ( yes, even alternative duties can be added )

Don't try to be too clevers and add many work locations or duties at the same time - you will confuse the poor overworked officials who staff government offices.

Hope this information helps.:wai:

Edited by SteveB2
  • Like 1

On 12/6/2019 at 1:09 AM, SteveB2 said:

Your work permit is specific to your declared location of work in your work permit. 

Normally this is a precise, specific, street address.

Thus, even if you work in the building next door, then if that address is not in your work permit, then you are in breech of your work permit rules and could easily find yourself arrested on the spot.

What to do so as to allow you to work in other locations:-

1. Have another location entered into the work permit.
  2. Have a generalised location, for example 'Teaching in University classrooms' added to your work permit.
  3. Teaching diving in hotel swimming pools.
  4. Teaching watersports in the Gulf of Siam.
  5. Teaching student pilots at airports in Thailand.

Get a good lawyer who deals with the work permit office to help create the correct wording that permits you to do what you need to do and which keeps the labor office happy.

I have even seen illegal professions such as 'Tour Guide' worded in this manner by describing what a tour guide does but not calling the work a 'tour guide' - ( yes, even alternative duties can be added )

Don't try to be too clevers and add many work locations or duties at the same time - you will confuse the poor overworked officials who staff government offices.

Hope this information helps.:wai:

Thanks a lot for this one, SteveB2!

I think I've got a good lawyers, several as they divide the work - and next week I'll have my provisional 1 month work permit converted to 1 year.

My current workplace is Bangkok, need to talk to them to see if they can change that to all of Thailand, or an address + Thailand ????

Will not really have to deal with running into problems doing real work up in some jungle or on a beach, which could have happened if I did not see your post...