Elon Musk, at defamation trial, blames 'pedo guy' tweet on overwork

webfact

Elon Musk, at defamation trial, blames 'pedo guy' tweet on overwork

By Rachel Parsons and Nichola Groom

2019-12-04T191328Z_1_LYNXMPEFB31TP_RTROPTP_4_MUSK-LAWSUIT.JPG

Elon Musk passes through security as he arrives at court for trial in a defamation case filed by British cave diver Vernon Unsworth who is suing the Tesla Inc chief executive for calling him a "pedo guy" in one of a series of tweets, as the case begins in Los Angeles, California, U.S., December 4, 2019. REUTERS/David McNew

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Elon Musk said he was overworked when he called a British diver and cave explorer a "pedo guy" in a tweet to his millions of followers, as the Tesla chief executive defended himself on Wednesday at his defamation trial.

In his second day of testimony in Los Angeles federal court, Musk again expressed regret for the tweet and other comments criticizing the plaintiff Vernon Unsworth, and said he had "absolutely not" been accusing him of pedophilia.

Under questioning from his lawyer Alex Spiro, Musk said it took him "minutes" to write his tweets, amid a "very extreme" 80 to 100 hours a week schedule running Tesla Inc <TSLA.O>, which makes electric cars, and the SpaceX rocket company.

"I wouldn't recommend it," Musk said about his schedule.

Musk's "pedo guy" tweet is one of three tweets that Unsworth has said defamed him and harmed his reputation. He is seeking unspecified damages.

Unsworth had led a successful rescue of 12 boys and their soccer coach from a flooded cave in Thailand, which was completed on July 10, 2018.

Three days later, in a CNN interview, Unsworth mocked Musk's offer of a mini-submersible from SpaceX for the rescue as a public relations stunt, and said the Tesla founder could "stick his submarine where it hurts."

The "pedo guy" tweet came two days later, and when a Twitter user asked whether he was really suggesting that Unsworth was a pedophile, Musk tweeted "Bet ya a signed dollar it’s true."

On the witness stand on Wednesday, Musk downplayed that tweet, saying: "It's obviously a low-stakes wager."

He also said his tweets were "off the cuff," having testified on Tuesday that they came after he had just watched a video of the CNN interview.

Musk said that while he was used to facing criticism of his work, Unsworth's comments had been "extremely rude and contemptuous" and "denigrated the efforts of my team."

U.S. District Judge Stephen Wilson has said the case hinges on whether a reasonable person would take Musk's tweets to mean that he was calling Unsworth a pedophile.

To win the defamation case, Unsworth needs to show that Musk was negligent in publishing a falsehood that clearly identified him and caused him harm.

"Actual malice" by Musk does not need to be proven because the judge deemed Unsworth a private individual, not a public figure.

Although the case does not involve Tesla, Musk's Twitter habits have long been under close scrutiny, with the company's investors and regulators expressing concerns about his tweets.

With 29.9 million followers, Musk's social media account is a major source of publicity for Palo Alto, California-based Tesla, which does not advertise.

Other witnesses for Unsworth are expected to take the stand after Musk finishes his testimony. The trial is expected to last about five days.

(Additional reporting by Steve Gorman and Dan Whitcomb in Culver City, California; Editing by Peter Cooney and Sonya Hepinstall)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-12-05

7 minutes ago, webfact said:

Elon Musk said he was overworked when he called a British diver and cave explorer a "pedo guy" in a tweet to his millions of followers, as the Tesla chief executive defended himself on Wednesday at his defamation trial.

Hey Elon!

You are guilty, and it doesn't matter if you were tired. That is a lame excuse.

You are very, very wealthy; man up, write the guy a large cheque, say 'sorry', and be done with it.

This need not waste a court's time...

20 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Even though Musk was shamelessly self-promoting, Unsworth probably shouldn't have embellished that 'shove it' comment. Calling someone a pedo though is reprehensible. Hope he gets a nice public spanking.

I am not entirely up to speed with this case, Exactly how did Musk "shamelessly self-promoted"??

Was is because he was so overworked that he hired a 'security expert' who turned out to be a convicted con man with no background in security? He paid James Howard-Higgins 50K and was then fed complete lies by him about Unsworth. The very same lies Musk then started repeating to others, including journalists.

Hope they throw the book at this guy

Surprised this hasn't been settled out of court by now but I guess Musk's arrogance has got in the way. It has thus been far more damaging to him to have let it needlessly go on like this as it would have been forgotten about long ago by now if he'd just quietly put it to bed.

3 hours ago, sirineou said:

I am not entirely up to speed with this case, Exactly how did Musk "shamelessly self-promoted"??

Not supporting him, but he brought basically a mini sub and had the media know he was going to save the day but the mini was not mini enough! He opens his mouth he is basically news along with his company Tesla electric cars etc etc..  " shamelessly self- promoted?

Although he didn't fire the first shot, he should have kept his mouth shut but he isn't that type of guy, he could end this by writing a check that he spends in a hour but now it is all about " losing face " if Brit takes the money he will be still be remember as the Pedo guy except he is a richer one now? ????

6 minutes ago, alanrchase said:

Overworked is a poor excuse. IIRC Musk originally appologised and Vern accepted. Musk then went on to repeat the slur and add other accusations. Musk is his own worst enemy.

My cousin husband started and works for him, say he is a nut case a step away from going off the deep end but has made him rich rich rich and if you want to continue being richer you just do your work and keep your mouth shut.

1 hour ago, alanrchase said:

Overworked is a poor excuse. IIRC Musk originally appologised and Vern accepted. Musk then went on to repeat the slur and add other accusations. Musk is his own worst enemy.

Not only repeated the slur but demanded to know why Vern hadn't sued if it was untrue.

He virtually dared him to  take legal action and made ut pretty clear hen wasn't going to stop on his own.

If he had just dropped it after his initial apology there'd be no court case today.

It seems Mr. Musk is too proud to just say something like: I made a big mistake in that moment. I apologize and I will never do it again. And of course I will compensate Mr. Unsworth for the trouble I caused.

It would be simple. But no, Mr. Musk doesn't do such things. Hopefully the judge orders him to do a couple of months social service. Maybe that would bring him a little nearer to planet earth.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Under questioning from his lawyer Alex Spiro, Musk said it took him "minutes" to write his tweets, amid a "very extreme" 80 to 100 hours a week schedule running Tesla Inc <TSLA.O>, which makes electric cars, and the SpaceX rocket company.

But he still had time to tweet... no excuse.

6 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Hey Elon!

You are very, very wealthy; man up, write the guy a large cheque, say 'sorry', and be done with it.

No he is not guilty.

6 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Hey Elon!

He has more 'Thai' in him than he knows!! He obviously cannot lose 'Face'!!! 555 ????????????????????????

I don't know Vern,  but I thought it was a generous (noble) thing he did helping save the kids.  And I  thought Musk was a ding dong coming up with his submarine idea.  The smart Thing for Musk to have done would be pick up the phone and say "What can I do to help?".  Yet Here we are today with Musk on the verge of losing millions of dollars in a settlement.  Slick Willie...I mean Musk may not have the right words or the flashy smile that will steer a Judge to decide in his favour....unlike the minions of Twitter twits that think he is the chosen one and can do no wrong.

I'm a big Elon fan, but this time he screwed up.  A simple "oops, sorry" at the time and it would have been long forgotten by now, Vernon doesn't seem the vengeful or money-grabbing type, but no, Elon had to compound things.

I think he'll lose in court - the evidence is clear and he isn't denying saying it - I also think he'll appeal and appeal.   In the end, the only winners will be the lawyers.

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems Mr. Musk is too proud to just say something like: I made a big mistake in that moment. I apologize and I will never do it again. And of course I will compensate Mr. Unsworth for the trouble I caused.

It would be simple. But no, Mr. Musk doesn't do such things. Hopefully the judge orders him to do a couple of months social service. Maybe that would bring him a little nearer to planet earth.

The case is a civil suit for damages, not a criminal case.  A guilty verdict would require damages for the plaintiff.

8 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Not supporting him, but he brought basically a mini sub and had the media know he was going to save the day but the mini was not mini enough! He opens his mouth he is basically news along with his company Tesla electric cars etc etc..  " shamelessly self- promoted?

Although he didn't fire the first shot, he should have kept his mouth shut but he isn't that type of guy, he could end this by writing a check that he spends in a hour but now it is all about " losing face " if Brit takes the money he will be still be remember as the Pedo guy except he is a richer one now? ????

I still don't see how he "shamelessly self promoted" . Did he make the rounds on the medea  circuit did he appear on TV and made exaggerated claims . What prompted vern to attack Musk;s masculinity by suggesting what he did, And if I told you to stick your laptop where it hurts (I am not suggesting this only saying it to make a point) how would you react?  Where is vern's apology for his insult? 

I would tell you how I would react, If I had the resources Musk has, I would make vern my special little project. 

The Norte Americano's love and adoration of totally screwed up self made millionaires (or billionaires) has a very long history..

As is their very short memory as to what those millionaires did to them.

The honor role of such psychopaths is quite long..

Including Thomas Alva Edison,Randolph Hearst,Howard Hughes

Andrew Carnegie and 

Henry Ford..

Give anyone of 'em a mobile (cellular) phone and the result would be self evident.

IRRC, if it weren't for Unsworth knowing who the best cave rescue experts to call were and offering his own practical knowledge of that particular cave, the kids would likely not have survived.  

But Musk is just another psychopath who feels vindicated by his wealth.  He even hired a private investigator to look for dirt on Unsworth that could support his defamation, which came up empty.

I hope the jury socks it to him.

For me.....  i TRY to be objective.    It is hard for me to know which one is right or wrong.

I think I blame Vern, though,  for "throwing the first insult".    Those that think Musk is wrong think that one insult is worse than another.    I think the one who throws first is in the wrong.

Its only words............  

11 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I still don't see how he "shamelessly self promoted" . Did he make the rounds on the medea  circuit did he appear on TV and made exaggerated claims . What prompted vern to attack Musk;s masculinity by suggesting what he did, And if I told you to stick your laptop where it hurts (I am not suggesting this only saying it to make a point) how would you react?  Where is vern's apology for his insult? 

I would tell you how I would react, If I had the resources Musk has, I would make vern my special little project. 

You need to figure this one out by yourself?   Time to do the research yourself even then it isn't going to be spelled out for you!

Archived