Elon Musk, at defamation trial, blames 'pedo guy' tweet on overwork

webfact

3 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

You need to figure this one out by yourself?   Time to do the research yourself even then it isn't going to be spelled out for you!

I actually did research it. Could not find anything, I suspect you guys could not find anything either, 

Which makes me wonder why all the animosity towards Musk's success by some.

38 minutes ago, rumak said:

For me.....  i TRY to be objective.    It is hard for me to know which one is right or wrong.

I think I blame Vern, though,  for "throwing the first insult".    Those that think Musk is wrong think that one insult is worse than another.    I think the one who throws first is in the wrong.

Its only words............  

Musk's asinine "tweetings" included a very obvious slur against ALL Western males living in Thailand...building houses,looking after wives and children,creating employment etc..etc..The utter incomprehension is due to what exactly?

The chronic pollution of Chiang Mai?

The pesticides?

The obvious intellectual downsides of living in a rice paddy (albeit a very nice rice paddy) in the middle of nowhere?

The loss of any,moral,ethical or intellectual boundaries linking anyone to the West?

Or just so much adoration for the holy dollar making plutocrat which is so strong that the wrong doing is percieved and ignored without any form of moral or ethical compunction?

54 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Musk's asinine "tweetings" included a very obvious slur against ALL Western males living in Thailand...building houses,looking after wives and children,creating employment etc..etc..The utter incomprehension is due to what exactly?

The chronic pollution of Chiang Mai?

The pesticides?

The obvious intellectual downsides of living in a rice paddy (albeit a very nice rice paddy) in the middle of nowhere?

The loss of any,moral,ethical or intellectual boundaries linking anyone to the West?

Or just so much adoration for the holy dollar making plutocrat which is so strong that the wrong doing is percieved and ignored without any form of moral or ethical compunction?

ouch !   I am sure i would really dislike the guy.   probably both of them,

but i understand your point about slurs that are made which can be seen to include "all western males living in thailand".     For me PERSONALLY,  living in  a very nice  MANGO ORCHARD  :-).....  I do so because i really can't stand 90% of the western males that spout off all the time.    I have extremely high moral and ethical boundaries,  there-in lies one of the reasons I live away from the mess we call society

19 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Hey Elon!

You are guilty, and it doesn't matter if you were tired. That is a lame excuse.

You are very, very wealthy; man up, write the guy a large cheque, say 'sorry', and be done with it.

This need not waste a court's time...

Hey Vern,

Elon Musk came all the way to Thailand to offer his help

and you insulted him on National TV without any reason.

You are poor and not liking rich people is no excuse to openly insult them.

Say sorry and get over it.

This does not need a defamation lawsuit for something you instigated.

He is <deleted>!!  It will be a big settlement and should be imho.  In this day and age with all the shows on sex trafficking human trafficking underage sex worker busts, and pedos getting arrested in the world I think  the term is very harmful to ones reputation.  Especially true living so close to the northern border of Thailand.   Millions of followers  means millions  of $'s.  

I think Elon wanted to help but also thought it would be good publicity.   It is similar science , subs and spaceships but he really had no idea of the obstacle course.  I used to explore  caves and a diver.  I can see why Vern with his dry time experience in this cave knew Elons solution  was not viable.  I'm sure 1 phone call to Vern or others with experience in this cave would have educated Elon on the obstacles to any rigid or semi rigid coffin. I have had to fight the ocean currents before and I cannot imagine the currents rescuers faced

17 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems Mr. Musk is too proud to just say something like: I made a big mistake in that moment. I apologize and I will never do it again. And of course I will compensate Mr. Unsworth for the trouble I caused.

It would be simple. But no, Mr. Musk doesn't do such things. Hopefully the judge orders him to do a couple of months social service. Maybe that would bring him a little nearer to planet earth.

He would hire someone to do his community service. Unfortunately I do not think they do that. Maybe he needs to go through those caves to understand why his sub idea was totally inappropriate 

3 hours ago, MarcB said:

Hey Vern,

Elon Musk came all the way to Thailand to offer his help

and you insulted him on National TV without any reason.

You are poor and not liking rich people is no excuse to openly insult them.

Say sorry and get over it.

This does not need a defamation lawsuit for something you instigated.

Musk came from a place of ignorance, poorly researched , inappropriate solution, after many people has already spent hours locating, researched possibilities, placing their own lives at risk. Musks ego and inability to understand conditions of those divers, would have triggered emotional responses from anyone.

Being told to shove it, is not comparable to calling someone a sex offender

22 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Musk came from a place of ignorance, poorly researched , inappropriate solution, after many people has already spent hours locating, researched possibilities, placing their own lives at risk. Musks ego and inability to understand conditions of those divers, would have triggered emotional responses from anyone.

Being told to shove it, is not comparable to calling someone a sex offender

So that makes it ok then to openly insult him on national TV?

As far as i know, no other people flew all the way to Thailand to offer any help, let alone a billionaire who made a mini sub from his own money for this purpose.

Good intentions, whether being an inappropriate solution or not well researched, do not deserve to be humiliated neither, by a guy with too much ego and 5 minutes of fame...
Wonder if Vern would fly all the way to Thailand to help, if he wasn't here at the time...

Vern's insult was highly inappropriate, and he made those comments because he found himself important at that moment being on tv. It just reflects his opinion towards Musk, before even being insulted afterwards.

Musk just replied in kind. And a pedo is not a sex offender. A pedo who commits the crime of having sex is a sex offender.

10 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

I asked a South African mate of mine whether "pedo guy' was an ordinary term of abuse used in South African schools...the totally flat response was..NO.

That  might depend on his/her/its  age.......same age as Musk? pls  note my pc "its"

4 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

He would hire someone to do his community service. Unfortunately I do not think they do that. Maybe he needs to go through those caves to understand why his sub idea was totally inappropriate 

And I thought the sub was just a PR stunt ???? 

On 12/5/2019 at 4:09 AM, Samui Bodoh said:

Hey Elon!

You are guilty, and it doesn't matter if you were tired. That is a lame excuse.

You are very, very wealthy; man up, write the guy a large cheque, say 'sorry', and be done with it.

This need not waste a court's time...

Pedo guy started it though.  Musk was just trying to help and Pedo guy told him to stick it where the sun doesn't shine.  Musk just replied to Pedo guy insult for insult.  Just shake hands and let bygones be bygones.

On 12/6/2019 at 2:29 AM, Elkski said:

He is <deleted>!!  It will be a big settlement and should be imho.  In this day and age with all the shows on sex trafficking human trafficking underage sex worker busts, and pedos getting arrested in the world I think  the term is very harmful to ones reputation.  Especially true living so close to the northern border of Thailand.   Millions of followers  means millions  of $'s.  

I think Elon wanted to help but also thought it would be good publicity.   It is similar science , subs and spaceships but he really had no idea of the obstacle course.  I used to explore  caves and a diver.  I can see why Vern with his dry time experience in this cave knew Elons solution  was not viable.  I'm sure 1 phone call to Vern or others with experience in this cave would have educated Elon on the obstacles to any rigid or semi rigid coffin. I have had to fight the ocean currents before and I cannot imagine the currents rescuers faced

All due respect to your opinion but I believe the  history of the situation was that Musk made the offer to help and further had  multiple communications  with the actual rescue team checking if his offer was  still desired as an option. That Unsworth, who did  indeed provide good advice for contacts with appropriate experienced divers, was  not the  Team Leader as has  often been suggested. That  he made his comments  about Musk and the submarine after the rescue was completed suggested to me that he was making a personal attempt to promote himself to take more share in the  limelight of plaudits being heaped on the diving team/s. Musk's reaction was a mistake in his use of words but given his own nature quite understandable under the circumstances.

On 12/6/2019 at 2:29 AM, Elkski said:

He is <deleted>!!  It will be a big settlement and should be imho. 

Although I would like to see a large judgment against Musk, I don't think it is likely.  The harm to Unsworth, though indefensible, does not appear to have been large.

The purpose of a punitive judgment exceeding harm done to Unsworth would be as a credible deterrent to Musk and his ilk.  A few thousand dollars would just the the price of cheap entertainment for Musk.

22 hours ago, simtemple said:

Elon Musk's father becomes a father again..... with his stepdaughter. Maybe Elon had this on his mind. 

https://www.zerohedge.com/technology/elon-musks-father-has-baby-his-step-daughter-40-years-his-junior

GO for it old fellow I say. 72 and still knocking out some strong swimmers.  She's no stunner but what the heck,  neither is he! 

On 12/5/2019 at 4:54 PM, rumak said:

For me.....  i TRY to be objective.    It is hard for me to know which one is right or wrong.

I think I blame Vern, though,  for "throwing the first insult".    Those that think Musk is wrong think that one insult is worse than another.    I think the one who throws first is in the wrong.

Its only words............  

You're way off, one is a public figure and subject to ridicule without legal recourse on a daily basis, the other is a private individual. The rules are very different, this is already accepted by the court and Musk broke them.

All that matters is if anyone believed Musk - I believe they did.

Vern had no choice but to go to court to defend his record of good conduct or be branded a 'pedo' for the rest of his life.

13 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

All due respect to your opinion but I believe the  history of the situation was that Musk made the offer to help and further had  multiple communications  with the actual rescue team checking if his offer was  still desired as an option. That Unsworth, who did  indeed provide good advice for contacts with appropriate experienced divers, was  not the  Team Leader as has  often been suggested. That  he made his comments  about Musk and the submarine after the rescue was completed suggested to me that he was making a personal attempt to promote himself to take more share in the  limelight of plaudits being heaped on the diving team/s. Musk's reaction was a mistake in his use of words but given his own nature quite understandable under the circumstances.

A slightly naive view of events in my opinion.

Musk relies on self promotion and positive spin to keep the investments rolling in to prop up his loss making businesses.

He saw an opportunity for some extra self promotion created by all the media coverage in Thailand, and seized it.

But his stunt was never practical, and the real rescue plans were well advanced at the time, so the rescue teams saw it as an unnecessary distraction, hence their frustration.

Lack of awareness and the absence of media training (plus a dose of rudeness) led to the ill advised comment by Vernon, but Musk must have had media training and advisors, so his outburst is less forgivable in my view.

And the biggest fear of Musk is not the settlement costs, but that Vernon's comment about his rescue submarine could dent his carefully created reputation as a modern day Howard Hughes and so threaten his financial lifeline - hence the pressure on Vernon yesterday to apologise about his submarine comments.  That is the real reason for the Court case - it's a platform to defend the 'science' behind his stunt to avoid any risks to his cash flows.

Archived