Biden says he would consider Harris for vice presidential slot

webfact

Biden says he would consider Harris for vice presidential slot

By James Oliphant

2019-12-04T231330Z_1_LYNXMPEFB32B0_RTROPTP_4_USA-ELECTION-BIDEN.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Former Vice President Joe Biden and U.S. Senator Kamala Harris gesture on the second night of the second 2020 Democratic U.S. presidential debate in Detroit, Michigan, July 31, 2019. REUTERS/Lucas Jackson/File Photo

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A day after U.S. Senator Kamala Harris ended her 2020 presidential bid, former Vice President Joe Biden, a leading contender for the Democratic nomination, said on Wednesday he would consider her as a potential running mate.

Biden, with whom Harris clashed during a Democratic debate earlier this year, praised her after a campaign event in Ames, Iowa.

“Senator Harris has the capacity to be anything she wants to be,” Biden told reporters, according to a video posted by CBS News. “I talked to her yesterday. She’s solid. She can be the president one day herself. She can be the vice president. She can go on to be a Supreme Court justice.”

Biden and Harris had a contentious exchange over forced busing in public schools in the first Democratic debate in Miami in June. It was a standout moment for Harris, who saw her fortunes briefly rise in her party's contest for the right to challenge Republican President Donald Trump in next year's election.

But any rift appears to have been closed. Biden praised Harris effusively on Tuesday after she dropped out. Harris was close friends with Biden's son Beau, before he died of brain cancer in 2015.

Biden told reporters on Wednesday that “of course I would” consider Harris to be his running mate.

Earlier this year, Harris, 55, was viewed as a prime contender in the crowded Democratic presidential field. But organizational and financial woes, along with her struggles to make a compelling case for her candidacy, derailed her campaign.

The U.S. senator from California could potentially bring much to a ticket. A former prosecutor, state attorney general and only the second black woman elected to the Senate, she is still considered a rising star within the party.

After Harris' exit, 15 Democrats are left to battle for the party's nomination.

(Reporting by James Oliphant; Editing by Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-12-05

29 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

The thought of these two running the country made me laugh...????

You must be delighted then trump has the whole world laughing me personally I feel shame .Joe Biden is an old hand dont forget he was part of the (TEAM)that saved us from another Great Depression he is competent and not mentally ill.kmala Harris is smart and a fighter they would make a great team and the world would breath a huge shigh of relief 

4 hours ago, Tug said:

You must be delighted then trump has the whole world laughing me personally I feel shame .Joe Biden is an old hand dont forget he was part of the (TEAM)that saved us from another Great Depression he is competent and not mentally ill.kmala Harris is smart and a fighter they would make a great team and the world would breath a huge shigh of relief 

yes, you and all the appeasers would breath a huge sigh of relief.

6 hours ago, rabas said:

When I grew up we had presidents like Dwight D. Eisenhower and John F. Kennedy. What went wrong?

The grassy knoll happened and money realized what money could get away with would be my guess.

5 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

The thought of these two running the country made me laugh...????

Yes, I also become giddy with laughter due to the relief I feel when imagining two grown-ups in the WH instead of the draft dodging clown that's currently there.

This team would be perfect because they are both losers and Biden might be in jail by next November.   

Kamala is a joke but not a very funny one and I am delighted that Tulsi exposed her for Kamala's misdoings.

Trump would enjoy facing these two idiots.

Marianne Williamson is the only one with credibility and she has plenty of time on her side and is benignly inspiring so many folks along the way.

Well if he's nominated though not my top choice Harris would be an excellent choice for VP. But the democrats don't need any help on the west coast so I think Midwesterner Amy Klobuchar would be even better. On further thought Stacey Abrams is probably the best choice. She would excite people! 

7 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

Of course he said that he'd 'consider' it, for about 2 seconds, then he'd forget about it. He gave a politically correct answer.

I disagree. She would definitely be considered. It would almost definitely be a woman in any case and that helps her chances. 

10 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

Liberal tolerance of dissenting opinions.

So I did not agree with his assertion that Biden is unelectable and this somehow shows intolerance??

I must say that if the 3 last years has shown me anything it's that the whiny right are a bunch of utter snowflakes.

1 hour ago, wombat said:

Creepy Joe has as much chance of becoming president of America as i do of urinating into the wind and not  getting wet.

1 hour ago, Becker said:

Then I guess you have a prostate problem and should see a doctor.

6 minutes ago, Becker said:

So I did not agree with his assertion that Biden is unelectable and this somehow shows intolerance??

I must say that if the 3 last years has shown me anything it's that the whiny right are a bunch of utter snowflakes.

Yes....you "did not agree" as you so delicately put it. Personal attacks are not permitted on this forum.

13 hours ago, rabas said:

When I grew up we had presidents like Dwight D. Eisenhower and John F. Kennedy. What went wrong?

I was born after Kennedy was killed but I think you are right. To answer your question. What year did CNN go on the air?? 

Biden is about to be raked through the coals in the senate. Harris can not even appeal to the black voting demographic which would be the only reason Biden should be interested. The campaign ads showing her as the little girl throwing Biden under the political bus are going to be comical. 

I don't see anything in Harris that would make Biden stronger. I guess if Biden can over look her saying he is on the wrong side of history on the racial divide she would fit in well.

Aside from that nobody knows what she stands for. She put a lot of black people in prison. And as Tulsi pointed out she just laughed about it while smoking weed. See if Biden goes for it, this should be good fun. 

I know most the poor people in the black community love those that work for the police almost as much as they love snitches.

Forgot to add she won't have any appeal in the battleground states. Those 6 states are all that matter and if you don't pull weight there you are a liability to your ticket.

Biden's remarks demonstrate precisely how empty-headed he is.

Her exposure during these "debates" to close scrutiny of her character and principles has confirmed that she is basically an air-head who has slept her way up the judicial ladder and as a result has NO principles whatsoever. 

That is, she believes in NOTHING....other than her own desire to squirm to the top of the pole....

A deeply unpleasant and hypocritical person. When she was asked if she ever smoked marijuana she just laughed and smirked knowingly.  The 15 hundred black men she prosecuted and sent to prison for marijuana are not laughing. Like so many wokes she is  intolerant and authoritarian writ large. She has done much worse cynical things including blocking evidence that could help a man on death row. She is a nasty piece of work.

21 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

Biden is about to be raked through the coals in the senate. Harris can not even appeal to the black voting demographic which would be the only reason Biden should be interested. The campaign ads showing her as the little girl throwing Biden under the political bus are going to be comical. 

I don't see anything in Harris that would make Biden stronger. I guess if Biden can over look her saying he is on the wrong side of history on the racial divide she would fit in well.

Aside from that nobody knows what she stands for. She put a lot of black people in prison. And as Tulsi pointed out she just laughed about it while smoking weed. See if Biden goes for it, this should be good fun. 

I know most the poor people in the black community love those that work for the police almost as much as they love snitches.

Forgot to add she won't have any appeal in the battleground states. Those 6 states are all that matter and if you don't pull weight there you are a liability to your ticket.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/12/04/kamala-harris-and-the-democrats-identity-crack-up/

To say nothing of her trick of using prisoners as free labour instead of releasing them. She is not a champion of the oppressed. She is a champion oppressor.

Archived