Video: One lucky 61 year old Thai on a motorcycle - lights to be installed

webfact

Video: One lucky 61 year old Thai on a motorcycle - lights to be installed

5pm.jpg
Picture: Sanook

CCTV footage from the Sala Mangkhut T-junction on the Ban Khai to Rayong road showed an Isuzu pick-up pull out on the main road and collide with a motorcycle.

The motorcyclist was propelled over the cab of the pick-up and lay unconscious on the road as the pick-up driver got out to investigate. 

Ruam Katanyu rescue services were quickly on the scene and managed to revive the motorcyclist who was 61 year old Phadung. He was on his way home from Rayong's Muang district riding a Honda CBR 300.

Sanook said he is recovering from road rash injuries and is out of danger at Ban Khai Hospital.

Police are investigating. 

Locals told the media that traffic lights are set to be installed at the intersection.  

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-12-05

5 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Don't you just love the way the driver takes his time getting out and casually walking over. No doubt he will say he didn't see him, the rider was going to fast. 

I suppose one could say at least he stopped.

And kicked the guy's foot as he went past. Standard "check for life" test.

Even when the pickup was in clear view of the bike, the bike didn't seem to make any attempt to slow down or avoid the collision. Probably doing a bit of texting.

1 minute ago, DannyCarlton said:

Even when the pickup was in clear view of the bike, the bike didn't seem to make any attempt to slow down or avoid the collision. Probably doing a bit of texting.

Incompetence.

The guy froze, best he retires the bike and buys a car.

42 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

the bike didn't seem to make any attempt to slow down or avoid the collision. Probably doing a bit of texting.

No texting, nothing he could do, too late, ever ride a bike, he couldn't even attempt to drop and slide, as for the kick for life, didn't see that when I played it again, although I did see him go to the car, open the door and probably ask his wife if she would be up for taking the rap ?

59 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

No texting, nothing he could do, too late, ever ride a bike, he couldn't even attempt to drop and slide, as for the kick for life, didn't see that when I played it again, although I did see him go to the car, open the door and probably ask his wife if she would be up for taking the rap ?

Clearly you watched a different video to me. YMMV. And yes, I've been riding bikes since I was 17.

I can't see how the bike could have avoided that one given the speed he was going. 

The motorcycle rider could be criticised for not slowing approaching a junction, someone with greater rider training and a mindset for 'defensive riding' may have reduced their speed approaching the junction. 

The helmet saved his life. 

Pickup driver still 100% at fault for this one. 

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Only time I rode a bike was to the Khon Kaen horse races many years ago. But do know a bit about texting etc. So a bit late to ask the wife if she will take the rap as half of FB got a message. "OMG my hubby just killed a motorbike rider"

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

I can't see how the bike could have avoided that one given the speed he was going. 

The motorcycle rider could be criticised for not slowing approaching a junction, someone with greater rider training and a mindset for 'defensive riding' may have reduced their speed approaching the junction. 

Go back & look the bike is on the wrong side of the road & there are traffic lights at that intersection. 

So many start pounding there key board without looking. 

54 minutes ago, ratchaburi said:
2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Go back & look the bike is on the wrong side of the road & there are traffic lights at that intersection. 

You may be guilty of your own criticism there... [So many start pounding their key board without looking]

Please explain how you think the bike was on the wrong side of the road? its a dual carriage way. 

There are traffic lights but they were not on.

The article stated 'traffic lights are set to be installed at the intersection' - which isn't clear but can be interpreted as meaning they were recently installed and soon to be put into use. 

What are your thoughts after watching the video again? 

Your response interests me as its surprising how you can see something so different than I in the same video. 

I've seen this scenario a thousand times. The car that is pulling out doesn't see the motorbike because the oncoming car turning left in the inside lane is blocking his view of the middle lane.

The pick-up couldn't see but he decided to cross the road. He's wrong 100%.

1 hour ago, ratchaburi said:

He us driving on the left hand lanes of a dual carriageway... (2 lanes in either direction )

How is he in the wrong side of the road.

1 hour ago, marquis22 said:

Only time I rode a bike was to the Khon Kaen horse races many years ago. But do know a bit about texting etc. So a bit late to ask the wife if she will take the rap as half of FB got a message. "OMG my hubby just killed a motorbike rider"

I was responding to the other poster, as I understood it, he thought the bike rider was texting, although I could be wrong ?

The rap being passed over to his wife was because most Thai men are gutless when it comes to taking the blame, IMO.

29 minutes ago, bannork said:

I've seen this scenario a thousand times. The car that is pulling out doesn't see the motorbike because the oncoming car turning left in the inside lane is blocking his view of the middle lane.

The pick-up couldn't see but he decided to cross the road. He's wrong 100%.

True, but if you ride a bike and come across the situation where a turning car could be concealing something coming onto the road you must slow in anticipation. It is one of the main lessons in defensive riding. I've done hundreds of thousands of KMs and somehow managed to stay alive...

Rooster

5 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

anticipation

That is the keyword when riding or driving, anticipating what the unexpected is about to throw at you, mind you, I am not game enough to ride here as I know there is no deterrent for drivers on the roads, alcohol, speeding etc etc.

I can read what when and how it is all going to pan out everyday to me, the wife has given up saying to me, watch out for this or that, as she knows, I see it from a long ways before they even know I do, although at night I encourage her to keep her eyes wide open for bikes with no tail lights, or side cars with no tail lights, someone once told me they don't have tail lights because they don't want ghosts to follow them home, and I took the bait, hook line and sinker ????

Would it be useful to know which driver had the right of way at this junction? Can someone identify the junction on Google Maps?

P.S. I think I found it here: 

google.ch/maps/@12.7436303,101.2844911,3a,90y,125.9h,88.34t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sKsrgSE3s6vxYLZZ4VKY4Fg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

17 hours ago, Jane Dough said:

True, but if you ride a bike and come across the situation where a turning car could be concealing something coming onto the road you must slow in anticipation. It is one of the main lessons in defensive riding. I've done hundreds of thousands of KMs and somehow managed to stay alive...

Rooster

Can I add    don't overtake at a junction?

3 hours ago, overherebc said:

Can I add    don't overtake at a junction?

Absolutely.

The utmost care is needed at all manner of U-turns and intersections. I slow down (checking behind me first) when I come up to any even if I don't see anyone in sight. 

Some might be interested in the following story. The closest I came to death was when going home along Rachada Pisek Road in Bangkok toward Klong Toey after a night out. A car in front of me (I was on a motorcycle) in the central lane suddenly swerved out of the way because right in front, stopped, was another car. 

To this day I don't know how I had reactions quick enough to swerve and avoid going into the back of the parked car at full tilt. The bike - a 250cc rebel - felt like jelly underneath me. 

But not nearly as jellylike as my legs felt as I tried to get sleep that night. 

I failed in that endeavor. 

Rooster

9 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

Absolutely.

The utmost care is needed at all manner of U-turns and intersections. I slow down (checking behind me first) when I come up to any even if I don't see anyone in sight. 

Some might be interested in the following story. The closest I came to death was when going home along Rachada Pisek Road in Bangkok toward Klong Toey after a night out. A car in front of me (I was on a motorcycle) in the central lane suddenly swerved out of the way because right in front, stopped, was another car. 

To this day I don't know how I had reactions quick enough to swerve and avoid going into the back of the parked car at full tilt. The bike - a 250cc rebel - felt like jelly underneath me. 

But not nearly as jellylike as my legs felt as I tried to get sleep that night. 

I failed in that endeavor. 

Rooster

Seems to be a mindset here that if the vehicle in front slows down then the driver/rider behind as a first response is to go left or right to get past. 

Almost no thought as to why the vehicle in front is slowing. The usual 2 metres max between cars has to be the biggest fender bender cause.

I've seen 7 cars all stuck together on the 'motorway' to Bangkok and I'll believe anyone who can beat that count. ????

Archived