BANGKOK
crab

Honest computer wizard needed to rebuild or build a PC.

Honest computer wizard needed to rebuild or build a PC. My computer is 8+ years old and seriously problematic. Perhaps some of it can be salvaged; perhaps not. I seek somebody to analyse the situation, propose a complete solution and execute it. Cost is a major issue. I'm in East Pattaya and speak some Thai. All suggestions gratefully received.

Backup what important data(?) is readable and then post #2.

8 years old, cost is a major issue?

And I just wanted to suggest that I come to Pattaya, 5000 Baht fixed expenses plus 2000 per day :biggrin:

That was a joke!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ezzra is right, after 8 years you'd basically need to upgrade all components to the latest specs. Look for a special deal at JIB or like for a new one.

• Like 1

8 years is not anymore that old for PC.

depending on what the PC is used for and provided the original PC was reasonably well done using quality parts, an upgrade to SSD could maybe give it 4-5 more years.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

2000 per day

2000 per day? Cheap Charly! Or is that USD?

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

What is wrong with it? Describe symptoms.

That would help. If it looks like SW problems only then backup, reinstall new OS and see whether you are happy with it.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

That would help. If it looks like SW problems only then backup, reinstall new OS and see whether you are happy with it.

Will Win 10 work...  or require some more hardware? I know Win 7 support ends in January. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Will Win 10 work...  or require some more hardware? I know Win 7 support ends in January. 

How would he know anything about the PC concerned??

Perhaps there is someone who can go there, to save the OP from himself.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the various replies. Yes, I should have given more information.

Some of the problems are, or may be, software-based; others not. I had the fan replaced a year or so ago, but boot-up is still interrupted every time by a warning about over-heating. A false warning, I should add. And sometimes the whole thing just shuts itself down in an instant. It probably needs a new battery, as removal from power requires resetting the internal clock. Most of the USB ports are 2.0 only, and several of them don't work. Since I use a load of external drives, I now resort to USB multi-ports (or whatever they're properly called). The processor is Intel i7, and may be fine. The biggest problem is memory (RAM). As a result of my own stupidity, only 4 GB were initially installed, and that memory may have deteriorated. I get a lot of "not responding" messages and long delays. Firefox crashes too often, and Firefox tabs with irritating frequency. Having just moved back to Pattaya, I now have for the first time in my life a fibre internet connection. If I'm downloading heavily, that brilliant connection crashes, requiring my "local area connection 2 adapter" to be reset- again and again. That may simply be because of my Windows 7 software. Also, more crazy-making in the short term, the computer has suddenly become only intermittently responsive to various commands from my Logitech remote mouse and keyboard. Memory? Something else? At the moment I have four 2 TB internal drives.

I need the right person to look under the hood and advise. Then, yes, it may be time to buy a new computer or to have someone build me a new one to suitable specs.

5 hours ago, crab said:

Cost is a major issue. I'm in East Pattaya and speak some Thai. All suggestions gratefully received.

If cost is a major issue then you could try and download a couple of programs to "clean" various aspects of it, although there are some folks totally against this type of thing, whilst others sing its praises?

If you could download Glary Utilities (free) and run that and see what it picks up, or others favour something like CCleaner, which can clean out a lot of rubbish and can speed it up. Not only that those programs can pick up other problems with it and sometimes guide you as to what needs doing.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, xylophone said:

If cost is a major issue

It is, but I spend a great deal of time on the computer, and I'm prepared to spend whatever's necessary to get things working well, even if that means a new box.

Just now, crab said:

It is, but I spend a great deal of time on the computer, and I'm prepared to spend whatever's necessary to get things working well, even if that means a new box.

Similar to you I spend far too much time on the computer, doing nothing much in particular I have to add!!

However I have an HP laptop computer which was my main computer but it started to get slower and slower, this despite having nothing wrong with the hard drive and no problems found.

I tried different browsers, deleting this and that and still it was very slow in starting and in "obeying commands", so much so that I was out looking for a new one, however a friend gave me his broken Toshiba laptop (has an Intel i7 chip, so not too old) and I managed to fix it by removing the screen and fixing the hinges, putting everything back together and clearing all of his programs off of it, reloading my own.

Anyway my point is that it freed up my HP laptop, so I got working on it and cleaned everything off and reset it with a basic Windows 10 home program and now it's working fine and I just use it as a backup to download movies.

If yours has Windows 7, then by getting into "reset" mode then you may be to pare it back to the base program and start again.

I did also run a program to update the drivers and just a couple needed doing, so no big deal.

You've got nothing to lose by trying something like this and by running the two programs I suggested earlier, because if your computer is just about stuffed anyway, then it could well end up being a win-win for you!

• Like 1