Thai students well below global average in reading, science and maths: study

webfact

4 hours ago, HeyHeyHey said:

China cheated their way to 1st place as they always do

I certainly don't see the intelligence when I happen to accidentally book a 4* or 5* hotel frequented by Chinese

They seem to be good in passing exams. Applying what they have memorized to real world situations seems to escape them though. 

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Eligius said:

So much potential there, so much early curiosity about the world (one sees it in very young Thai children) - squashed out of them, by design.

Now that you mentioned that, true. It's as if by magic after entering P1 they start to stand around the flagpole saluting and the curiosity gets brutally murdered.

Try employing Teachers with a working brain and things just may improve.   One or two Thai's i know that have been reasonably well educated abroad tell me that when Thai's can't get any other job with a Pension they resort to becoming a 'School Teacher' of any subject just to get on the Pension bandwagon and have no real interest in teaching anything.   They don't do the job to help children get educated, they do it for the later handout and the cheap and plentyful credit offered whilst in the job and many end up in serious debt as a result.

4 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Is anyone else trying to see the logic in that ?? If you find any, please enlighten me ????

The logic is knowledge is power and that is something some governments doesn't want the in the hands of the people. Educational time is spent teaching the people their duties and not how to better themselves. If you only give the people basic skills they will never be able to figure out what's really happening to them and they won't question you or rise against you.

30 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

They seem to be good in passing exams. Applying what they have memorized to real world situations seems to escape them though. 

Agree, where are the Chinese inventions if they are the smartest?

They would not have electricity if it wasn't Europeans (who are Australians and Americans as well now)

It's like in Thailand - petty kids who hasn't reached the development level but were given high-tech by Asgards. Then try to look like all is cool.

Why do you think China and other Asian countries put so much red tape for foreign companies? Because they know they would be crashed. China blocks every significant websites and make inferior copy.

And we give them trade preference instead, because snowflakes think it will change lol

6 hours ago, HeyHeyHey said:

I certainly don't see the intelligence when I happen to accidentally book a 4* or 5* hotel frequented by Chinese

No wonder the Chinese beat you farangs flat in the PISA test. Such a simple chart and yet you let your racial prejudice to cloud your judgement. If you claim that China cheated in the test, indirectly you are insinuating that Singapore, Hong Kong and Macau had cheated too. Or maybe you didn't know that the huge majority of the people living in Singapore, Hong Kong and Macau were ethnic Chinese.

The Americans are good at maths too, or at least at maths competitions. The U.S. tied with China in first place at the 60th International Mathematical Olympiad. Take a look at the winning U.S. team:

math-olympiad-2019-900x600-min.jpg

4 minutes ago, Selatan said:

No wonder the Chinese beat you farangs flat in the PISA test. Such a simple chart and yet you let your racial prejudice to cloud your judgement. If you claim that China cheated in the test, indirectly you are insinuating that Singapore, Hong Kong and Macau had cheated too. Or maybe you didn't know that the huge majority of the people living in Singapore, Hong Kong and Macau were ethnic Chinese.

The Americans are good at maths too, or at least at maths competitions. The U.S. tied with China in first place at the 60th International Mathematical Olympiad. Take a look at the winning U.S. team:

You are twisting my words. I never said there are no smart Chinese, they are country of 1.4 billion people. Of course some of them are super smart.

This chart is comparing AVERAGE and the average Chinese is dumb as coconut tree. Not their fault, it's on design by their dear leaders who then send SWAT team to play paintball and show how great they are.

15 minutes ago, Selatan said:

math-olympiad-2019-900x600-min.jpg

You can read all about China questionable PISA scores here. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/education/2019/12/04/china-is-no-pisa-heres-why-its-test-scores-are-hard-believe/

Did you know that only a small number of China provinces participate? And, did you genuinely not know that China is infamous for all manner of academic cheating scandals? If so, you must be one of a very tiny number of people who don't know. 

Singapore is full of Chinese, yes. Chinese that are thriving in large part due to the excellent influence left on that country by England. 

3 minutes ago, HeyHeyHey said:

You are twisting my words. I never said there are no smart Chinese, they are country of 1.4 billion people. Of course some of them are super smart.

This chart is comparing AVERAGE and the average Chinese is dumb as coconut tree. Not their fault, it's on design by their dear leaders who then send SWAT team to play paintball and show how great they are.

The average Chinese is cleverer than the average farang. Proven by many IQ tests. Of course every country has lots of dumb people, all Western countries included. And of course China has more dumb people than almost every country (except India, average IQ:82, China average IQ:106) because it has 1.4 billion people. 

Talking about dumb people - the recent PISA test had shown that the bottom-scoring 10% of China students performed better than the OECD average. That should tell you something.

3 minutes ago, Selatan said:

Talking about dumb people - the recent PISA test had shown that the bottom-scoring 10% of China students performed better than the OECD average. That should tell you something.

It tells me that you are given to believing statistics from a country that routinely lies, cheats and steals.

We are all entitled to our own opinions. 

Anyway, this is really about Thailand - which, incidentally, is also heavily ethnically Chinese. Alas, they are near the bottom. How are we to explain that? 

3 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/education/2019/12/04/china-is-no-pisa-heres-why-its-test-scores-are-hard-believe/

Did you know that only a small number of China provinces participate? And, did you genuinely not know that China is infamous for all manner of academic cheating scandals? If so, you must be one of a very tiny number of people who don't know. 

Singapore is full of Chinese, yes. Chinese that are thriving in large part due to the excellent influence left on that country by England. 

Chinese students were not good? Only good at cheating? Haha. Did you know that Malaysia has a branch campus of China's Xiamen University? Mostly mainland Chinese and local ethnic Chinese Malaysians students study at this university. I can tell you this - we ethnic Chinese Malaysians were no fight against these mainland Chinese students. They were really, really good.

Or maybe you didn't know this - up to 80% of students taking STEM subjects in U.S. universities were Asians - mostly students from China and India.

6 hours ago, HeyHeyHey said:

Really?

Then why didn't you 'cheat' your way too and make your country #1 instead....

10 minutes ago, Selatan said:

The average Chinese is cleverer than the average farang. Proven by many IQ tests.

So where are the Chinese inventions?

We talk using the internet that originated in laboratories in the US, UK, and France

Electricity, cars, planes, antibiotics, and everything you can think off - nothing from China or Thailand.

Name one service or product that people use and originates from China. You can't, because it doesn't exist. They just close their market and copy what someone else invented.

5 minutes ago, Selatan said:

Chinese students were not good? Only good at cheating? Haha. Did you know that Malaysia has a branch campus of China's Xiamen University? Mostly mainland Chinese and local ethnic Chinese Malaysians students study at this university. I can tell you this - we ethnic Chinese Malaysians were no fight against these mainland Chinese students. They were really, really good.

Or maybe you didn't know this - up to 80% of students taking STEM subjects in U.S. universities were Asians - mostly students from China and India.

You are still confused. 

Nobody is saying that [insert race] is bad or good.

People are commenting on NATIONALITY averages. 

I know it's hard to understand. I have many ethnically Chinese friends from all over the world. The ones with PRC nationality regularly find it impossible to separate nationality from ethnicity. 

Are you having the same challenge? 

14 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

It tells me that you are given to believing statistics from a country that routinely lies, cheats and steals.

We are all entitled to our own opinions. 

Anyway, this is really about Thailand - which, incidentally, is also heavily ethnically Chinese. Alas, they are near the bottom. How are we to explain that? 

Very easy to explain. Look at Malaysia's poor performance. Malaysia's ethnic Chinese population is 25%, whereas Thailand's ethnic Chinese population is 14%. Singapore's ethnic Chinese population is 78%.

15 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

By Britain.

The first two British Resident and Commandants after Sir Stamford Raffles were Scottish.

The Island was governed under British Law.

9 minutes ago, HeyHeyHey said:

These were probably the last ones before internal feuding and communism destroyed the entire country: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Great_Inventions

They had other, more important inventions though:

Alcoholic beverage and the process of fermentation: The earliest archaeological evidence of fermentation and the consumption of alcoholic beverages was discovered in neolithic China dating from 7000–6600 BC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Chinese_inventions

7 minutes ago, Selatan said:

Very easy to explain. Look at Malaysia's poor performance. Malaysia's ethnic Chinese population is 25%, whereas Thailand's ethnic Chinese population is 14%. Singapore's ethnic Chinese population is 78%.

OK. I'll play along. 

What do you think is responsible for ethnic Chinese superior cleverness? 

Bigger brains? 

Something in their diet? 

7 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

These were probably the last ones before internal feuding and communism destroyed the entire country: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Great_Inventions

They had other, more important inventions though:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Chinese_inventions

everyone can register on wiki and write/edit stuff - China is known for having an online army protecting the regime

anyway even if all that is true, it's 4 basic items and it shows their skills to compete ended 1100 years ago

17 minutes ago, HeyHeyHey said:

We talk using the internet that originated in laboratories in the US, UK, and France

Electricity, cars, planes, antibiotics, and everything you can think off - nothing from China or Thailand.

Name one service or product that people use and originates from China. You can't, because it doesn't exist. They just close their market and copy what someone else invented.

Inventors from China have been the top patent filers for the past few years already. Don't tell me you didn't know that?

'Driving force' China accounts for nearly half global patent filings: U.N.

China ranked first in all three categories and had as many patent filings as the next 10 places combined, including Japan (3rd), South Korea (4th) and the European Patent Office (5th).

9 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

OK. I'll play along. 

What do you think is responsible for ethnic Chinese superior cleverness? 

Bigger brains? 

Something in their diet? 

As a matter of fact, the Chinese have bigger brains.

Why do Asians have bigger brains than Europeans or Africans?

The world’s largest survey of brain sizes, conducted by American scientists three decades ago using more than 20,000 modern human skulls from around the globe, found that the average cranial volume among East Asians was 1,415 cubic centimetres, compared with 1,362 for Europeans and 1,268 for Africans.

2 minutes ago, Selatan said:

Inventors from China have been the top patent filers for the past few years already. Don't tell me you didn't know that?

'Driving force' China accounts for nearly half global patent filings: U.N.

Are you paid by CPC?

China has no patent protection laws. They fill patents for stuff they stole from other countries in other countries.

Basically trying to game our system against us to protect their crimes.

Luckily people started to wake up

17 minutes ago, HeyHeyHey said:

Are you paid by CPC?

China has no patent protection laws. They fill patents for stuff they stole from other countries in other countries.

Basically trying to game our system against us to protect their crimes.

Luckily people started to wake up

What do you mean China has no patent laws? If there are no patent laws in China, then how come millions of patent applications are filed at China's patent office each year?

China file patents for stuffs that they had stole? Do you even understand how the patent filing process even works? It's a costly affair so it would be pretty stupid to file for anything that have been patented or invented anywhere before because it would be unlikely to be granted.

7 hours ago, Eligius said:

It's so sad to see the deliberate and systematic (which is what it is - for decades) dumbing down of the Thai populace. So much potential there, so much early curiosity about the world (one sees it in very young Thai children) - squashed out of them, by design.

When you are not even allowed to ask (let alone answer) the most fundamental questions about the nature of your own country and its power structures - you are highly unlikely to be encouraged to unfold a critically questioning and analytical mind.

Poor, poor Thailand. Destined to sink ever further into deliberately cultivated ignorance.

And yet all the while there is a man waiting in the wings - suppressed Thanathorn - who could revolutionise Thailand in so many ways and inspire its entry into the 21st century (instead of its languishing in the 16th) ...

Just FYI, in positive way, look up Thailand social economic policy.  I think you will find it interesting.

The biggest waste of money is the private schools if a student plans to lets say go to the US for a University experience.

No preparation for the required US SAT test.

I know a couple of guys who had daughters in the Thai schools, went to the US to get them into Colleges. Bragged about Ivy League type schools with their A grades from Thailand.

They both flunked the SAT scores in the 600 range which means they are basically stupid and totally unprepared lucky to enroll them into a Junior College.

1 hour ago, HeyHeyHey said:

Gunpowder, acupuncture,spaghetti to name a few.

Archived