Thai students well below global average in reading, science and maths: study

webfact

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, webfact said:

In related news, education officials in Thailand this week announced plans to hire more foreign teachers in a bid to improve English language abilities of students in state schools nationwide.

The only problem is that they'll expect to hire native English teachers with specific education degrees who don't mind jumping through a bunch of qualification and immigration hoops involving culture courses, etc. to work for under 30K a month. Then when these people aren't lining up for crappy gov't school jobs, the powers that be will cry the blues, insisting they've dona all they can.  

Just wait until the Global Financial Meltdown,

When most of the so called Smart People become the Dumbest.

Those who do not know how to Hunt, Trap, or Grow anything to survive,

or even make Fire, find themselves seeking the Real Knowledge and Help,

from those they looked down on Before.

It will then become clear, What Real Education is about, and not all the Nonsense of today.

Best thing anyone could do, is take their children out of the Indoctrination centers,

and teach them how to survive in the Real World, and develop their Natural Talents.

Time to wake up, because the Delusion is about to Fall.

What irritates me the most about these statistics is, when I show them to the missus and try using this to explain to her why it makes more sense to educate our child abroad, I ALWAYS end up being the "bad guy". "Why you think like this about Thailand?" is the usual reply. These numbers are staring so many people in the face, yet they do nothing about it. 

Some day, this place HAS to come to a bitter awakening. 

It's difficult to accep that you're at the bottom of the barrel, but the sooner you recognise this, the sooner you start to rise to the surface. 

10 hours ago, webfact said:

In reading, Thailand’s worst performing category, Thai students managed just 393 points, while the global average was 487 points.

Thailand’s score for reading was the lowest since the country was included in the PISA study.

I am not really surprised

in 20 years here, i have hardly seen 2 or 3 thais reading a book

7 hours ago, HeyHeyHey said:

Name one service or product that people use and originates from China. You can't, because it doesn't exist. They just close their market and copy what someone else invented.

A Chinese invented the electronic cigarette, it was promptly banned by nearly all Asian countries.

I don't know how this has happened.all of my farang friends who pay for private schools tell me their kids are all top of the class with 100% pass rates.all of the teachers tell them their kids are just natural geniuses and so well behaved and hard working.

a Thai teacher comes in my bar from time to time,absolute head case.ive been wanting for so long to ask her what is 1x1x2= but I think it'll blow her away and she will just go into fight mode.

17 hours ago, z42 said:

Absolutely dreadful. It is hard to pin the performance on 1 single factor, but in all my years as a teacher & teacher trainer i've never seen anything as ghastly as the "no fail" policy that is in force in LOS.

As for the plan to get Filipino teachers or barely qualified NES teachers to magically boost English to super high levels, it is doomed to failure as daily exposure to English language outside the main tourist areas is almost nil.

The Filipino teachers wages are cheap as chips.

7 hours ago, WhatupThailand said:

Those who do not know how to Hunt, Trap, or Grow anything to survive,

or even make Fire, find themselves seeking the Real Knowledge and Help,

from those they looked down on Before.

It will then become clear, What Real Education is about, and not all the Nonsense of today.

Off topic, you only need the ability to fight and kill, others can be pressed into doing the menial tasks.

Guns, bullets and swords are far more useful than education, when it comes to survival.

No surprises in mathematics results, the calculator must be the most bought item for any shop to use. Bought a coffee and a sandwich yesterday, ( 60 plus 80 baht). Thai young  lass , graduate from Chiang Mai Uni with a Master in Accounting had to pull out the calculator to get the total and then subtract 200 baht to work out what change to give me. Says it all.

My wife's a teacher and is hopeless at basic calculations in her head. Mental arithmetic was a big part of our sylabus when I was at school in the 1950s (and I was only a secondary school lad), but according to my wife, it isn't done here. As for geography, I don't think Thais can even grasp the concept.

10 hours ago, HeyHeyHey said:

So where are the Chinese inventions?

We talk using the internet that originated in laboratories in the US, UK, and France

Electricity, cars, planes, antibiotics, and everything you can think off - nothing from China or Thailand.

Name one service or product that people use and originates from China. You can't, because it doesn't exist. They just close their market and copy what someone else invented.

Gunpowder was invented in China .

17 hours ago, shadowofacloud said:

Exactly. An educated society is definitely not what the powers that be want. Educated people tend to ask difficult questions about democracy, freedom of speech, corruption, pollution etc. Ignoramus masses will be easily satisfied by occassional handouts and cheap propaganda.

Then again, if these figures are correct, China seems to have no problem repressing the population...go figure? And as for trying to find any logic in speaking with a nation that scored lower than you in the ‘test’........Thai logic is an oxymoron

14 hours ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Strange that Vietnam was not tested. They're usually pretty good in sciences and mathematics, plus a lot of them learn English. A Viet team ranked 7th out of 110 teams in the International Mathematics Olympiad held in the UK last July. I figure the Viets would rank in the top 25 at least in the PISA tests. 

https://vovworld.vn/en-US/spotlight/vietnam-wins-2-gold-4-silver-medals-at-intl-maths-olympiad-2019-768039.vov

But Philippines?  Really? Bottom of the pack in the PISA tests. 

Vietnam was ranked No.21 in the 2015 PISA study.

Not sure why they are not shown in this 2018 result.

See 2015 here:

http://factsmaps.com/pisa-worldwide-ranking-average-score-of-math-science-reading/

16 hours ago, Pilotman said:

why is that a paradox?  Not sure who invented this quote, but it is meaningless. To be educated is to question, assess and seek to understand the World around you, that is the reason for being educated, therefore it's an inevitable objective and consequence of education, so not a paradox.

In a way it is, society by its very nature is unfair, or doesn't provide equal opportunities but the top dogs need an educated population to increase their own power and wealth, by educating the populace however they are sowing the seeds for their own demise or at the very least they have to give up absolute power and some of their wealth.

The comparisons from the 2015 study and the 2018 rankings as reported by the OP are 'interesting'.

Here are selected results of the 2015 rankings. This is the overall average of reading, math and science, not just ranked by reading:

1. Singapore

2. Hong Kong

3. Japan

16. New Zealand

21= Vietnam

21= Australia

23. UK

31. USA

55. Thailand

Archived