webfact

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:
21 hours ago, webfact said:

Regionally, only Indonesia and the Philippines performed worse

21 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai officials indicated they plan to contact Phillippine Embassy in Bangkok to help with teacher recruitment

Is anyone else trying to see the logic in that ?? If you find any, please enlighten me ????

Hmm, this was a hard one,  - let's investigate: to let persons who hardly can - teach others about it ... ???? ... Nope, you have right - it doesn't make sense, at least not for those who can and understand .... :thumbsup:

There is a lot of first hand experience here and the things you are saying about Thai education standards and practice are true.

Remember, PISA is a test of a sample. Other than that, I know very little about it.

A few years ago, in Singapore, I met a young man in a bookshop and we got talking about odds and ends.  He graduated from NUS a year before I met him. I have to say, his English was perfect but he was shocked at the things our conversation revealed that his professors had not taught him. I am talking about technical subject matter.

Writing things on the board for children to copy into their books. That is often used to control the kids. I was introduced to a teacher in a large school in the north of England and he was described as an excellent teacher. He spent his breaks filling his board with things to copy. Not only here, then!

There is a school near us that has no teacher of English and yet just about all of that school's leavers can speak English way beyond, I happee,  you happee!! How do they do it? Rote learning and an English language lecturer from the local university who gets her own English language students out there, middle of nowhere, several times a year to run fantastic English immersion days. Truly inspiring to see. By the way, the lecturer is Thai, also inspiring.

Universities here vary so much in quality,  we know; but I have seen students performing at very high levels in their work. It is possible.

I have also talked to teachers who are teaching English at schools and with the best will in the world, I could not understand them.

In summary, this is not a first world country. There are good people here. Then there are the indolent and the no hopers. For some, farming and factory work is all they want. 

I am sure there is hope here, even if some of them rely on self help, which happens everywhere.

RE - Thai students well below global average in reading, science and maths: study

* The key is reading - The better you can read the better you will perform in other subjects ... :thumbsup:

11 hours ago, WhatupThailand said:

Just wait until the Global Financial Meltdown,

When most of the so called Smart People become the Dumbest.

Those who do not know how to Hunt, Trap, or Grow anything to survive,

or even make Fire, find themselves seeking the Real Knowledge and Help,

from those they looked down on Before.

It will then become clear, What Real Education is about, and not all the Nonsense of today.

Best thing anyone could do, is take their children out of the Indoctrination centers,

and teach them how to survive in the Real World, and develop their Natural Talents.

Time to wake up, because the Delusion is about to Fall.

You appear to be stuck in a Stone Age cave. Do you think computers,internet and other technologies are all going to disappear and the most useful talent will be rubbing two sticks together? ???? 

I propose you for representing the very bottom of the table.

21 hours ago, z42 said:

Absolutely dreadful. It is hard to pin the performance on 1 single factor, but in all my years as a teacher & teacher trainer i've never seen anything as ghastly as the "no fail" policy that is in force in LOS.

As for the plan to get Filipino teachers or barely qualified NES teachers to magically boost English to super high levels, it is doomed to failure as daily exposure to English language outside the main tourist areas is almost nil.

hmm, i could think of some skills in which filipina women perform at a higher level than the average thai counterpart, perhaps they should bring them in to tutelage. 

22 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Is anyone else trying to see the logic in that ?? If you find any, please enlighten me ????

id suggest because the rating is country wide and in certain areas like metro manila etc, there are excellent schools and some very well educated phillipinos. 

the emerging middle class in phils is very international and increasingly well educated, however outside major urban centres the place remains decidedly third world.

edit: the pisa website does have snapshots by country, thailand indicates a significant performance gap due to lack of advantage.

• In Thailand, socio-economically advantaged students outperformed disadvantaged students in reading by 69 score points in PISA 2018. 

unfortunately the philipines document gives a 404 not found error, but i would expect the gap to be much higher.

id say the poverty and disparity between have and have not is much greater in phils  than thailand.

16 minutes ago, atyclb said:

hmm, i could think of some skills in which filipina women perform at a higher level than the average thai counterpart, perhaps they should bring them in to tutelage. 

takes a real man to turn a conversation about education into one about sex. well done sir!

22 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Reading in Thai language has nothing to do with English classes. 20 likes at the moment, the irony laughing at the students but not capable to understand how the test goes.

Thailand seems to place a high priority on social activities in schools. This often interferes with academics as school time is used for parties, celebrations, speeches, ceremonies, etc at the expense of class time. If this is the way people want their country run, it is up to them. To me Thai people seem happier than individuals in my country (USA), if so that is a bonus. However, you cannot be surprised if academic scores suffer as a result.

22 hours ago, HeyHeyHey said:

Philippines worse?

Everyone including the low level workers - ie gardener, house-keeper, or security guard speaks good English. I also never see the 80 year old gramma in middle of nowhere tiny shop using calculator to count 20+10

Thailand is as they want it to be. Hard to keep feudal system with educated public.

But this is about reading in their own language, not English.

4 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Ah the great protector of the Thai people !! Judging by the scores achieved, we are more intelligent ????

It is an average, my daughter of 15 is way smarter than most posters here.

What sort of job did or do you have? What university have you been to? how high is your IQ?

22 hours ago, scotinsiam said:

You have to blame the system and the stupid teachers, Just saw a video of a male Thai teacher in Udonthani smacking a young Thai girl on the head very hard because she didn't hear what he said.

The kids have no chance with morons and bully's like this educating them.

I hope someone knocks him out very soon.

Or sending a child home with a message scribbled on their shirt,

"you have not paid your school fees".

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

One is usually an indication of the other.

Oh, I wouldn't guarantee that.

David Cameron: 1st from Oxford. A dolt in real life.

Jacob Rees Mogg 2:1 Oxford. Self confessed hanger on but rich.

Boris Johnson 2:1 Oxford. Liar. Showman. Very popular with people who like liars and showmen

Donald Trump Unclassifed Wharton School. Liar. Showman. Very poor businessman. Very popular with people who like liars, showmen and racists.

One of the greatest dullards I ever worked with had a PhD in chemistry from a very good university. Similarly, I worked with a man who got a scholarship to Harvard and although achieving a very ordinary qualification, told the world how fantastic he was. Well, he was, as an office manager.

Of course, there will be cause and effect but, finally, the best management accountant I ever knew had no qualifications to his name at all. Not one!

2 hours ago, cheshiremusicman said:

I think you have summarised the problems exquisitely. I have a golfing friend who has taught in many countries for years and when he took a teaching job in Thailand (at a very respected Thai school) he was requested to attend the heads office on his first day. The 'Head' told him to 'Just teach the bare minimum'. My friend thought that he was joking and laughed, but the head took one more look at him and said 'Just do what your told'. My friend handed in his notice immediately. If this doesn't say it all then I don't know what does!

Good on him. A man of conviction attempting to fit in, in a wasteland of conservatism and conformity. And battling against a wave of totally undeserved respect and deference. 

4 minutes ago, todlad said:

David Cameron: 1st from Oxford. A dolt in real life.

Jacob Rees Mogg 2:1 Oxford. Self confessed hanger on but rich.

Boris Johnson 2:1 Oxford. Liar. Showman. Very popular with people who like liars and showmen

Donald Trump Unclassifed Wharton School. Liar. Showman. Very poor businessman. Very popular with people who like liars, showmen and racists.

You do understand those from the right families get degrees without the 'academic tests' that we proles have to pass.

Do you think any British University would fail one of the 'royals', or someone whose father funded a new library?

23 hours ago, z42 said:

Absolutely dreadful. It is hard to pin the performance on 1 single factor, but in all my years as a teacher & teacher trainer i've never seen anything as ghastly as the "no fail" policy that is in force in LOS.

Being a certified teacher back home in my province, in ,Canada I regret to inform you that we also have a no fail policy up to secondary 3.

I disagree with any no fail policy. As far as I am concerned the very fear of repeating a year kept my working hard enough to pass and learn...

3 hours ago, sandmonster said:

I went to school in England and the chinese kids always cheated their way to 1st place too ???? !

Here's some evidence, rather than TV xenophobia. ???? 

https://www2.le.ac.uk/offices/press/think-leicester/education/2016/against-the-odds-ethnic-minority-students-are-excelling-at-school

Thanks for the link. Here's an extraordinary statistic from the link. Sorry about the formatting:

% of pupils on free school meals achieving 5+ A*-C GCSEs

GCSE results including English & Maths; Data for state schools in England, 2015

Chinese girls

Chinese boys

Bangladeshi girls

Indian girls

National average

Black Caribbean girls

White British girls

Black Caribbean boys

White British boys

Source: Department for Education Get the data

White British boys bottom of the performance table!

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

You do understand those from the right families get degrees without the 'academic tests' that we proles have to pass.

Do you think any British University would fail one of the 'royals', or someone whose father funded a new library?

You have taken my post off in a different direction but never mind. The number of well known people in public life in the UK who attended Oxbridge and boast that they did no work la la la but walked away with a first says either their are lying through their teeth or is in agreement with what you are saying or some thing similar! William Hague comes to mind: 1st class honours from Oxford but one of the biggest idiots the Tory party has ever had as leader and Foreign Secretary (Welsh Secretary too, I know).

Failing a Royal: I am sure you have noticed that two of the Queen's children did not attend university and the other two were allowed in or terms that would not apply to the likes of us.

Archived