Extension of stay marriage

For the income method you must be able to show at least 1 payment every month for the last 12 months of a minimum of 40,000baht or they can reject your application. If you cannot show that you have done an international transfer of a minimum of 40,000baht every month for the past 12 months then I would suggest that you go to Savannakhet or HCMC and get a 1 year multi entry visa based on marriage, but you must do a border run every 90 days and a couple of days before the visa expires you do another border run which will give you an extra 90 days. There are no financials needed at Savannakhet, I am not sure about HCMC. By doing this it will give you 15 months to arrange your financials so that you can show a minimum of 40,000baht being an international transfer into your Thai bank account every month

• Like 1

I have a little over 500,000 in bank for way more than 3 years. I have a monthly income of over 100,000 THB for even longer than that .

My last visa and going back many years have been a retirement visa,

Last year I renewed my retirement visa with about 1,000,000 in the bank.

However, over the course of the year I had several health issues come up so my bank account has dwindled.
Therefore, I decided to switch to a marriage visa this Jan when my retirement visa expires.

Anyone know if this is going to be a problem or not?

44 minutes ago, Spike1938 said:

I have a little over 500,000 in bank for way more than 3 years. I have a monthly income of over 100,000 THB for even longer than that .

However, over the course of the year I had several health issues come up so my bank account has dwindled.
Therefore, I decided to switch to a marriage visa this Jan when my retirement visa expires.

You just need 400k in the bank two months before applying for the extension based on marriage. Plus a load of documents.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Spike1938 said:

You will have no problem applying for a 12 month extension based on having a Thai Wife.

400,000 baht in the bank for 2 months.

Or proof of 40,000 Baht monthly salary.

6 hours ago, Spike1938 said:

No problem. just heaps more paperwork.

Theres this mega exagerration that the paperwork involved with marriage is unsurmountable.

Having done it myself for 5 years, I can only see a couple of photos and a marriage certif as being additional to any other immigration proceedure, re entry,tourist visa, retirement, etc etc.

Where does this overwhelming negative concept come from and does 5 minutes of extra photocopying really justify having to save an extra 400k to do an easy retirement ext.

3 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

Having done it myself for 5 years, I can only see a couple of photos and a marriage certif as being additional to any other immigration proceedure, re entry,tourist visa, retirement, etc etc.

Photos together with different requirements at most places and changing often, need to have spouse with you (who often has a job or has other issues making travel difficult), treatment of spouse occasionally an issue, second visit required, separate trip to District Office for updated marriage registry, home visit and possible request for payment at some locations, and extra scrutiny of paperwork as reviewing officers are subject to higher review so an error that might be accepted locally requires new visit to supply.  Not a great difference but when immigration officers actually ask you to use retirement rather than marriage it made sense to do so.

This is now offset a bit by the current 800k retirement funds not being available for use most of the year for those using that method. 

16 minutes ago, SailingHome said:

So... since a couple months I used the ATM not tranfer, I am going to be rejected?

If you cannot get proof of income from your embassy you must show 12 months of transfers into a Thai bank from abroad.

New rules that went into effect in December. Download: Amendment to police order 138/2557 Revising clauses 2.18 and 2.22 to include options for proof of income.

You best option may be start doing the transfers of at least 40k baht and then go out for a single entry non-o visa and then apply for a new extension. Starting again with new non-o visa would only require a couple of months of transfers.

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you cannot get proof of income from your embassy you must show 12 months of transfers into a Thai bank from abroad.

New rules that went into effect in December. Download: Amendment to police order 138/2557 Revising clauses 2.18 and 2.22 to include options for proof of income.

You best option may be start doing the transfers of at least 40k baht and then go out for a single entry non-o visa and then apply for a new extension. Starting again with new non-o visa would only require a couple of months of transfers.

Hey, Joe. Thanks. You always know.

I have been doing transfers for months, (probably a couple years).  I think there was a month I did not need any money, a month where I just used the ATM, 2-3 months I had the paycheck direct deposited by the US Govt.

As most guys know, I am bed bound and don't get out much. I have 1 year and 7 days before I am 50 years old for retirement visa.

will you please be specific how to do the scenario you described? We have until the 26th.

17 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

Theres this mega exagerration that the paperwork involved with marriage is unsurmountable.

Where does this overwhelming negative concept come from and does 5 minutes of extra photocopying really justify having to save an extra 400k to do an easy retirement ext.

Could not agree more. It really is not difficult.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SailingHome said:

I have been doing transfers for months, (probably a couple years).  I think there was a month I did not need any money, a month where I just used the ATM, 2-3 months I had the paycheck direct deposited by the US Govt.

As most guys know, I am bed bound and don't get out much. I have 1 year and 7 days before I am 50 years old for retirement visa.

All you can do is try to do the application. Immigration was instructed to be lenient this year.

Get a one year bank statement from you bank to show your transfers into the country. And letter from your bank confirming your account. And copies of your bank book pages.

Some offices may also want to see a letter from the bank showing your transfer. Example here.Example-BankLetter-Monthly-Deposits.pdf

22 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

separate trip to District Office for updated marriage registry,

If this insurance insanity continues, I'll need to switch to a marriage extension -- if my IO allows it off of an old O-A visa..... My marriage license is from the US. What do I need to do in Thailand to make it acceptable to Immigration? Thanx.

Just now, JimGant said:

If this insurance insanity continues, I'll need to switch to a marriage extension -- if my IO allows it off of an old O-A visa..... My marriage license is from the US. What do I need to do in Thailand to make it acceptable to Immigration? Thanx.

That can be a new marriage in itself - Might be easier to get divorce and then marry here.  ????

Will let someone who has done recently replay as believe it has become harder, at least for some, and never did myself.  

5 hours ago, JimGant said:

What do I need to do in Thailand to make it acceptable to Immigration?

You need to register your foreign marriage at a Amphoe to get a Kor Ror 22 marriage registry.

You will need you marriage certificate legalized, then have it translated to Thai and have the translation certified by the Consular Affairs Department of the MFA in Bangkok.

You can do a self certification of of your marriage certificate by doing a affidavit at the US embassy stating it is valid, true and correct that a Amphoe will accept after it is translated.

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You need to register your foreign marriage at a Amphoe to get a Kor Ror 22 marriage registry.

You will need you marriage certificate legalized, then have it translated to Thai and have the translation certified by the Consular Affairs Department of the MFA in Bangkok.

You can do a self certification of of your marriage certificate by doing a affidavit at the US embassy stating it is valid, true and correct that a Amphoe will accept after it is translated.

Thank you, Joe. Do I have to physically trudge to Bangkok for the MFA blessing -- or can it be done by mail? Thanx.

22 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Thank you, Joe. Do I have to physically trudge to Bangkok for the MFA blessing -- or can it be done by mail? Thanx.

It can be done by mail to the Consular Affairs Department. Or you could have the translation service do it for your.

Procedure and other info is here. http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/services/111078-บริการรับรองเอกสารทางไปรษณีย์.html