BANGKOK
MisguidedPangolin

Visa Options for longer term stay

I presume you are under 50 years of age.  When over 50 the solution would be simple > apply for a Non Imm O - retirement Visa.

When under 50 and visiting Thailand for long periods of time on VisaExempt ot TouristVisa's, unfortunately you fall in the 'suspect' category of not being a genuine tourist and possibly working in Thailand.

The unofficial guideline is that you are not considered a genuine tourist when you spend more than 180 days per year in Thailand.  So if your next trip to Thailand on VE or a Tourist Visa would bring you above that unofficial limit, chances are high that you will be denied entrance (especially with your history).

Thai Immigration do not seem to grasp the idea that you could be financially independant and spend considerable time in Thailand for leisure-purposes.  In your case, the Elite Visa is of course an option, but a very expensive one.

Edited by Peter Denis
  • Thanks 1

If over 50 non O and extend in country for retirement. Yiu will be required to have money in a Thai bank and mery soecific financial requirements.

If under 50 your optipns are 

1. Elita visa

2. Limit your time here to 180 days. You may sometimes get away with more but thete is no guarantee and they do tend to flag people past 180 days.  A multi entry tourist visa might suit.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

I presume you are under 50 years of age.  When over 50 the solution would be simple > apply for a Non Imm O - retirement Visa.

When under 50 and visiting Thailand for long periods of time on VisaExempt ot TouristVisa's, unfortunately you fall in the 'suspect' category of not being a genuine tourist and possibly working in Thailand.

The unofficial guideline is that you are not considered a genuine tourist when you spend more than 180 days per year in Thailand.  So if your next trip to Thailand on VE or a Tourist Visa would bring you above that unofficial limit, chances are high that you will be denied entrance (especially with your history).

Thai Immigration do not seem to grasp the idea that you could be financially independant and spend considerable time in Thailand for leisure-purposes.  In your case, the Elite Visa is of course an option, but a very expensive one.

They probably do understand that people have the money to enjoy living here without having to work. 

But they also have rules which stops people being allowed to do that.

They could change the rules and allow everyone in for as long as they want, which wouldn't go down very well with many expats or Thais. Or they could introduce a visa which allows people with plenty of money to purchase and they can then come and go as they wish. 

I am not sure but maybe they already have such a visa. 

Trouble is loads of people who claim to be well off and have no need to work are unwilling to pay for the visa that would allow them easy access because they don't want to waste the money. 

So let everyone in or have rules. What would you choose ?

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. Yes, I'm under 50.

Is the 180 days per calendar year or within any 365 day period, or being an unofficial rule is it basically up to the vague, whimsical discretion of whoever is processing you at the border? If it's per calendar year, well, it's December so that gives me some time to work something out. If not, I guess I'm going to have to work something out quickly or leave.

Not really too fussed in debating the wisdom or lack thereof in regard to why they have the rules they do and how they enforce them. It's an interesting topic but I just need to know what to do.

If it comes down to it I actually might consider working or studying for 6 months or so, although realistically that would probably wear thin and I'd end up skipping over to somewhere happy for me to just spend money there and thank or ignore me for it. If I was to go for either a work or study visa, what would be the easiest (least hours required and most flexibility offered) way to do that? I'd certainly be happy enough to work a day or two per week if it was possible to do that little and satisfy the visa requirement.

I'll head into the immigration department tomorrow and see if they can offer any advice or clarity on what I'm allowed to do.

OP, curious about your post. You seem to be well aware of options yet ask for advice. I'm amazed you have done "last few years.....8-10 months" and have got away with it. 

Your last section is your option. Spend lot more time outside of Los. You can obtain 3 month multiple to Vietnam. Just one example also 90 day visa exempt Japan

Ed visa buys you time that's all and you discounted that. Along with elite visa.

Next you might mention that your 50+ but don't like retirement option.

Edit. OP, I posted same time as you so non o not an option.

Just to add....your comment about visit imm office for clarification would in the main be wasted of time. Your border entry will be fine also you get 2 more 2020. Imm office has zip to do with passport control at airports

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

If I considered myself well aware of all options I wouldn't be asking for advice. Maybe there's something I don't know about, maybe there's something I haven't thought of, and as I said, I'm not sure about the terms of work and study visas so I have specified things I don't know which I'd like to. If someone said 'you can do courses in 3 month units and you get 5 month study visas when you do them' I'd be happy to hear it. As it is, I have no idea what's involved. That's why I'm asking here and going to immigration tomorrow to hopefully get answers.

At this point I've only just had the news sprung on me, so and education visa buying me some time might do the trick. What's wrong with that? I was hoping for a better option but if not I may go for it.

I'm aware of other countries I can go to, there's a whole world to choose from including my home country which I don't need a visa for. I was asking about my options for being able to spend time in Thailand. I'm not sure how you think anything you've said is in any way helpful, but thanks all the same.

Immigration office may have zip to do with passport control at airports, although passport control at the airport suggested I go there to get clarification. It may end up being a waste of time, but hey, it certainly won't be any worse than your input.

28 minutes ago, MisguidedPangolin said:

If I considered myself well aware of all options I wouldn't be asking for advice. Maybe there's something I don't know about, maybe there's something I haven't thought of, and as I said, I'm not sure about the terms of work and study visas so I have specified things I don't know which I'd like to. If someone said 'you can do courses in 3 month units and you get 5 month study visas when you do them' I'd be happy to hear it. As it is, I have no idea what's involved. That's why I'm asking here and going to immigration tomorrow to hopefully get answers.

At this point I've only just had the news sprung on me, so and education visa buying me some time might do the trick. What's wrong with that? I was hoping for a better option but if not I may go for it.

I'm aware of other countries I can go to, there's a whole world to choose from including my home country which I don't need a visa for. I was asking about my options for being able to spend time in Thailand. I'm not sure how you think anything you've said is in any way helpful, but thanks all the same.

Immigration office may have zip to do with passport control at airports, although passport control at the airport suggested I go there to get clarification. It may end up being a waste of time, but hey, it certainly won't be any worse than your input.

Report back on your trip to imm office, esp if it's CW zoo. 

It's December if you have not used your 2 exempt border entries per calendar year you can. Then 2020 you obtain 2 more and extend each one.

Love the quote "Ed visa might buy me some time". Priceless

• Haha 1

OP, If you're not willing to pay for an Elite visa, then your best option is to alternate with another country in the region.

3 months in/3 months out, and you shouldn't have any issues.

If you're adamant on spending your time in Thailand, then an education visa would buy you some more time, but then you're back to square 1.

Another option would be to use multi entry tourist visa's obtained from your home country, but you'd have to avoid all airport entries into Thailand. (even then, there is no guarantees)

... or else marry a local.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Caldera said:

They seem to be softening at DMK, interesting.

What makes you say they're softening? This is the airport where they pulled me into the office, made me wait around, and gave me only two weeks rather than 30 days.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Report back on your trip to imm office, esp if it's CW zoo. 

It's December if you have not used your 2 exempt border entries per calendar year you can. Then 2020 you obtain 2 more and extend each one.

Love the quote "Ed visa might buy me some time". Priceless

I'm not sure what CW zoo means.

I don't think the land border entries thing is relevant. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume that if I was to leave Thailand right now and come back by land next week (I've only entered by land once this calendar year) they'd either not let me in or give me only a short stay. I doubt the situation would change much on January 1, but I'm not sure, perhaps their unofficial 180 day rule would reset. Either way, the number of land entries isn't my issue. Perfectly happy to take planes rather than buses if it makes any difference, but it doesn't seem to.

2 minutes ago, MisguidedPangolin said:

What makes you say they're softening? This is the airport where they pulled me into the office, made me wait around, and gave me only two weeks rather than 30 days.

That they didn't deny you entry outright made me say that, and I was only half joking. Letting you in, albeit for a shorter-than-usual time, is a more measured response in comparison.

While I'm not a fan of their unofficial rules (at all), I'm all for giving people fair warning instead of just sending them back for no good reason whatsoever, causing a lot more hassle than granting at least a short stay.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MisguidedPangolin said:

I'm not sure what CW zoo means.

I don't think the land border entries thing is relevant. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume that if I was to leave Thailand right now and come back by land next week (I've only entered by land once this calendar year) they'd either not let me in or give me only a short stay. I doubt the situation would change much on January 1, but I'm not sure, perhaps their unofficial 180 day rule would reset. Either way, the number of land entries isn't my issue. Perfectly happy to take planes rather than buses if it makes any difference, but it doesn't seem to.

You won't have issues at border to enter visa exempt. Each entry can be extended by 30 days and imm office. Your concerns re 180 day unwritten rule is applied at some airports.

If need fly in eg from Vietnam then fly to CNX and avoid DM.

Your at the edge. Use border crossings. Fly to udon Thani chill at day/night bar area for a night. Ain't difficult.

PS CW zoo refers to imm office bkk. You won't get advice there how to avoid generous stay rules there.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, mockingbird said:

OP, If you're not willing to pay for an Elite visa, then your best option is to alternate with another country in the region.

3 months in/3 months out, and you shouldn't have any issues.

If you're adamant on spending your time in Thailand, then an education visa would buy you some more time, but then you're back to square 1.

Another option would be to use multi entry tourist visa's obtained from your home country, but you'd have to avoid all airport entries into Thailand. (even then, there is no guarantees)

... or else marry a local.

3 months in 3 months out doesn't really work for me. I know that's an option, but not one which interests me. I'd get a job or choose another country before doing that.

Yes, I realise that an education visa is just a short term solution, but it might give me enough time to work out something more suitable, whether that's sorting out work or settling on another country or whatever else I might want to do. They hadn't given me any warning and just suddenly told me I wasn't able to keep using the visas as I had, I was planning on spending this month in Thailand, but my plans have suddenly had to change.

I'm a bit puzzled about your next suggestion. A multiple entry tourist visa obtained from my home country would be great if I could get one. I'm not sure what the options are of it the 180 day unofficial rule would apply. I am very puzzled about you saying I would have to avoid airport entries (I'd have thought that would be better than entering by land), and of course I couldn't enter by land from Australia, but hey, if I could get that visa in Australia then fly to Malaysia or something then come by land I'd be happy enough, strange as it would be. Are they more willing to give longer term multiple entry tourist visas than 60 day single entry visas?

Thanks for your post.