Friend's daughter needs some recommendations

emilywhitaker

OK, one fine day last week, I received a request from a friend whom I've never met for the past five years.

Her email reads like this (verbatim):

"My daughter is going to visit the country next February with husband and her 2 kids (4 and 7 years old). She will spend 12 days there. She plans to visit one (or 2) islands, but she has no idea about where to go. She needs something safe with activities suitable for her children. Which destination could you recommend?

Likewise, she would like to book accommodation in BKK. She needs a safe, but central location (not too close to Plaza Nana or Soi Cowboy). She would like an hotel  suitable for family (with 3-4 beds). Do you have any suggestion? She needs recommendations, because she has to book quickly (high season), specially regarding the island she will choose."

To the moderator/admin: I don't know which sub-forum to post my request for suggestions because my fiend asked many questions.

My best advice. Tell her to check and book on agoda, booking or expedia. All have maps and good pictures.

Regarding islands there are always things for both children and adults. Try Koh Chang or Koh Samet and she will have close to the mainland if not suitable.

Aside from that she will also find a lot of reviews of all the island by a google search. Where to go is a personal choice, and also based on individual interests.

If can´t manage that, then she should maybe consider it´s a too big risk to travel with two children to a foreign country.

3 hours ago, emilywhitaker said:

She will spend 12 days there. She plans to visit one (or 2) islands, but she has no idea about where to go.

There is the internet now these days and they can book a tour picking islands and other mainland Thai places online choosing where to go, do they not know that.

For ease of connectivity with young family, Samui or Phuket maybe? Flights and land transfers are easier than minivans, boats and ferries to the likes of Koh Samet or Koh Chang.

For central Bangkok with 4 beds, you can't get much more central that the bottom end of Sukhumvit IMHO. Apart from looking for suite options on the hotel and travel booking sites that Matzzon suggested, maybe have at look at Airbnb for a 2-bedroom condo?

14 hours ago, emilywhitaker said:

(not too close to Plaza Nana or Soi Cowboy)

LOL. Maybe worried about hubby popping out to 'catch some footy' on a pub telly? I don't see any sidewalk shopping or dining in the vicinity of either NEP or Cowboy that may lead the strolling family to see anything remotely inappropriate. Both venues are off the main street and to see them you have to actually go looking for them.

I stopped reading after Matzzon's reply as he (?) was correct.  The daughter should use the internet and do her own research or go to  a travel agent in the U.S.  

Now, why would an adult woman with husband and 2 kids ask her mother to ask a relative stranger to make travel  decisions for her, adding HURRY UP I NEED IT NOW?  I would suggest that if she and her husband can not handle this on their own, they should not be travel overseas where travel plans might need to be changed over night.

On 12/6/2019 at 1:43 AM, NanLaew said:

For ease of connectivity with young family, Samui or Phuket maybe? Flights and land transfers are easier than minivans, boats and ferries to the likes of Koh Samet or Koh Chang.

For central Bangkok with 4 beds, you can't get much more central that the bottom end of Sukhumvit IMHO. Apart from looking for suite options on the hotel and travel booking sites that Matzzon suggested, maybe have at look at Airbnb for a 2-bedroom condo?

My friend's just informed me that her daughter had booked an accommodation for 4 persons (2 adults, 2 kids) on Koh Lanta for $100 a night.

I googled Koh Lanta and found out it's a remote island further off from the mainland than Phuket. The pictures that Google threw up didn't show any buildings that remotely resemble a decent hotel.

Has anyone here been to Koh Lanta recently, as in a few weeks ago?

Archived