Getting More Juice.

Formaleins

Gentlemen, an update. Good news, the wiring fix from Crossy of doubling up the cable diameter has actually WORKED! I have just gotten 45Amps on my meter today for the first time in 15 years - I don't think I was able to get more than about 27 before, so a great big thank you for all of your help.

Now, here is what has happened. It looks like the NEW 8KW Panasonic is actually faulty. I had been working out the expected current based on a 2KW, a 2.5KW and a 3.5KW element and found that the current was indeed increasing every time I upped the setting from off,-LO-MED-High. I assumed it should have been getting 8KW on full power, this is wrong - It actually consumes 2A in the off position when the water switches on, even no elements are running. So here I was thinking it was maxing out at about 4.5KW when in reality it was probably nearer 3.5KW, so for sure there is a problem with at least one of the elements.

So fixing the supply did not appear to help. But going back to my original problem of low current, well, this was evident when I was using the National 10KW heater, which obviously was displaying an identical symptom, but in its case, it was in fact due to lack of power from my 25mm cables. I have bastardized the new shower and used the parts to fix the old 10KW machine and you can get a red hot shower now on medium and probably make a cup of hot tea on the hi setting. Measuring current as I said I am now getting 45A, and the voltage drop is going from 230V down to 212V - with the 10KW on full - previously it would drop down to a low of 170V.

So again, many thanks for all your great help - problem solved it seems, apart from trying to get Panasonic to honour the warranty and hope they don't notice bits missing or swapped (it is over a year old but I believe they give 5 years on the heater parts) so fingers crossed.

Cheers!

3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Result!!

Not half mate! Been my best day for a long time. Met the deadline to post my 90 days after going 40km to the post office yesterday to find it closed. Managed to get the oil and filter changed on the pick up sorted the electric and the heater and even managed to install the new LG washing machine later this afternoon. Lucky with the shower though as it had an internal leak from a perished O ring due to it lying around. Luckily I had another of similar size so all is good and we can actually get a hot shower tonight and in the morning. You have been a great help, thanks ever so much for your time and knowledge, it means a hell of a lot when you are kind of on your own with no one to help, and few people that understand what you are trying to do - The local "Sparks" came round to look at the double cables, never seen anything like it before.

7 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

Luckily I had another of similar size ...

Never throw away anything that may be remotely useful. I have jars, boxes and old Pringles containers (painted) full of potentially useful bits.

I even use some of it occasionally :whistling:

EDIT Apparently Pringles containers are some of the least recycle-able packaging out there, so I'm also doing my bit for the planet (if not the tidiness of my workshop).

26 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Never throw away anything that may be remotely useful. I have jars, boxes and old Pringles containers (painted) full of potentially useful bits.

Same here, I hoard so much junk because it is sure to "Come in handy one day" - The Sins of my father. (He was the same) Here is a funny thing that never happened before - We are getting so much current through on the 10KW Heater that it tripped the 45A breaker when it is on full power - I guess if the voltage drops to about 210 and it is running at about 10-11 KW, then it is getting very close to 50A, the best problem I have had in years.

16 hours ago, Crossy said:

EDIT Apparently Pringles containers are some of the least recycle-able packaging out there, so I'm also doing my bit for the planet (if not the tidiness of my workshop).

My junk/useful bits containers are empty plastic peanut butter jars and the small Tesco ice cream containers, the small yogurt containers make good paint spoons/measuring cups when you cut a scoop out of the side.

The ice cream containers also make for good disposable paint containers so the paint in the cans is kept clean.

Archived