How to sell rubber plantations?

heretostay

Hi,

My Thai family has two rubber plantations, 20 and 24 rai, both on ภบท5 basis (no chanote/deed).  How do you go about finding a buyer?  The family have "told everyone we know" that the land is for sale to no avail (not even a nibble), but surely there are agents who do this type of thing.
Sorry if my query is naive, but I'd like to give them some help.
Thanks in advance for names or websites or any other advice.

1 hour ago, ireckonso said:

Two big problems for them are no title to land and rubber prices the last 5 years have been terrible, and with the economy not doing well right now there is land for sale at decent prices everywhere around me with chanote titles. Good luck to you.

Thanks for your kind wishes.  I recognize the challenge that they are facing but would like to try to help.  Any websites or agents to recommend?

1 hour ago, cornishcarlos said:

It depends if they are asking an unrealistic price like most tend to do ?? 

Anything will sell if you price it right.

Best bet these days is advertise it on Facebook Marketplace in all the local groups. 

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'm not a big fan of Facebook, but will have a look at local groups and the Marketplace (about which I know nothing, but it's always interesting to learn about new stuff).

If everyone you know in the local area is not interested, its for a valid reason so any attempt by you will probably be fruitless. DD property, teedin.com are a few websites for Thais so give them a go and fb marketplace is very popular as someone already mentioned.

Generally the pui ya ban is 1st port of call.

It is unlikely even if you find an outside buyer that they would be allowed to purchase the land unless they have family in the area or are prepared to relocate.

Of course every Tambon may have slightly different views on it. 

1 hour ago, farmerjo said:

Generally the pui ya ban is 1st port of call.

It is unlikely even if you find an outside buyer that they would be allowed to purchase the land unless they have family in the area or are prepared to relocate.

Of course every Tambon may have slightly different views on it. 

Thanks for your comments.  My Thai family knows the pu yai baan very well, and he is the gamnan, too.  I will double check, but I am sure that they have already contacted him.

Why would an outsider be blocked?  You think the TAO aw baw taw would block the transfer?

1 hour ago, baansgr said:

If everyone you know in the local area is not interested, its for a valid reason so any attempt by you will probably be fruitless. DD property, teedin.com are a few websites for Thais so give them a go and fb marketplace is very popular as someone already mentioned.

Yes, I came across DD and teedin, so I guess I will "have a go," as you say.  It cannot hurt to try!

Nothing helpful for you in my comment but I'll throw it in anyway. It was always my understanding that an agent is almost never used; word of mouth is how it's done (but I know you have already made that effort). I trust that there is a sign posted on it !

Noted already; Everything has a buyer. Price is the determining factor.

Good luck.

7 hours ago, heretostay said:

Thanks for your comments.  My Thai family knows the pu yai baan very well, and he is the gamnan, too.  I will double check, but I am sure that they have already contacted him.

Why would an outsider be blocked?  You think the TAO aw baw taw would block the transfer?

In many local villages the elders will also have a say,if they feel it's best for your family's situation they may allow it.

But a lot will reject it seeing it as driving prices up where locals cannot compete for the land since most abide by the cannot sell only pass down to family rule.

There is generally a set price per rai in the area,ask how much that is to see if your if your family are in the ballpark regardless of rubber on it or not.

On 12/6/2019 at 11:16 AM, neeray said:

Nothing helpful for you in my comment but I'll throw it in anyway. It was always my understanding that an agent is almost never used; word of mouth is how it's done (but I know you have already made that effort). I trust that there is a sign posted on it !

Noted already; Everything has a buyer. Price is the determining factor.

Good luck.

Indeed, everything has a buyer!  I just have to find that person.  Needle in haystack, but I'll give it a go.  I will admit, I hadn't thought of putting up signs - thanks for that!  (The plots are not on roads with much traffic, but a sign costs nearly nothing and "you never know.")

On 12/6/2019 at 7:01 PM, farmerjo said:

In many local villages the elders will also have a say,if they feel it's best for your family's situation they may allow it.

But a lot will reject it seeing it as driving prices up where locals cannot compete for the land since most abide by the cannot sell only pass down to family rule.

There is generally a set price per rai in the area,ask how much that is to see if your if your family are in the ballpark regardless of rubber on it or not.

I will have a chat again with the family to see what the politics of the village are.  Frankly, we are not looking for, nor expecting, a very high price, so we might just be successful.  Who knows?  Got to try!

On 12/6/2019 at 11:10 AM, Tayaout said:

I was offered land but without paper I'm not interested. It's not very motivating for a buyer to "own" land where some issue may arise after building a home and investing a lot of time and money. 

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my story.  Good luck to you!

Hi,

My Thai family has two rubber plantations, 20 and 24 rai, both on ภบท5 basis (no chanote/deed).

You can't sell something that doesn't belong to you.

Same happened to a foreigner in Sisaket province who "bought" over 35 Rai of land with trees just planted.

He's asking the same question. That was ten years ago.   

31 minutes ago, heretostay said:

Indeed, everything has a buyer!  I just have to find that person.  Needle in haystack, but I'll give it a go.  I will admit, I hadn't thought of putting up signs - thanks for that!  (The plots are not on roads with much traffic, but a sign costs nearly nothing and "you never know.")

In my area they are signs up everywhere ,land for sale ,and not many takers ,the economy is not that good.

When we  where buying some land ,word soon got out ,we had "agents ",coming to us ,saying that in such a Soi they is land for sale ,now these agent's are just locals people  one was a dairy farmer , who I knew another an old boy of 65 ,they do it for normale a set fee .

Our neighbour  was selling some land ,and agents where soon knocking at his door offering they services  ,again just local people ,I am surprised agents have not been to visit you ,

Another problem the land is full of trees ,and as has been said rubber price not good ,to clear the land to grow something else will not be cheap ,and the land has no Chanort these factors will not help .

16 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Hi,

My Thai family has two rubber plantations, 20 and 24 rai, both on ภบท5 basis (no chanote/deed).

You can't sell something that doesn't belong to you.

Same happened to a foreigner in Sisaket province who "bought" over 35 Rai of land with trees just planted.

He's asking the same question. That was ten years ago.   

Thanks for your comments and telling me about the foreigner in Sisaket.
I am trying to help the family to sell, as they don't seem to know how the process works.

16 hours ago, kickstart said:

In my area they are signs up everywhere ,land for sale ,and not many takers ,the economy is not that good.

When we  where buying some land ,word soon got out ,we had "agents ",coming to us ,saying that in such a Soi they is land for sale ,now these agent's are just locals people  one was a dairy farmer , who I knew another an old boy of 65 ,they do it for normale a set fee .

Our neighbour  was selling some land ,and agents where soon knocking at his door offering they services  ,again just local people ,I am surprised agents have not been to visit you ,

Another problem the land is full of trees ,and as has been said rubber price not good ,to clear the land to grow something else will not be cheap ,and the land has no Chanort these factors will not help .

Thanks for the report in your area.  Yes, this is not a great time to sell.  It never is, is it?  Ha ha ha.

2 hours ago, heretostay said:

I am trying to help the family to sell, as they don't seem to know how the process works.

No offense but they know how the system works. They also know the land can not legally be sold only passed on to family heirs. I m not saying they are trying to lie to you, but facing the truth about things in thailand just is something they are not good at. The best bet is to sell it to someone with land adjoining yours at a price to move it and be done with. All the wishing in the world isnt going to get the money they think it is worth.

3 hours ago, ireckonso said:

No offense but they know how the system works. They also know the land can not legally be sold only passed on to family heirs. I m not saying they are trying to lie to you, but facing the truth about things in thailand just is something they are not good at. The best bet is to sell it to someone with land adjoining yours at a price to move it and be done with. All the wishing in the world isnt going to get the money they think it is worth.

I will continue my optimistic way along the trail, your comments notwithstanding. Will certainly look for neighbors as possible buyers.  Thanks for the suggestion.

23 hours ago, heretostay said:

(The plots are not on roads with much traffic, but a sign costs nearly nothing and "you never know.")

You don't need to put the sign up just at the plot.. We always put signs on the nearest main highway junction too and possibly in nearby towns, as people looking for land in the area might not venture down every road.. 

14 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

You don't need to put the sign up just at the plot.. We always put signs on the nearest main highway junction too and possibly in nearby towns, as people looking for land in the area might not venture down every road.. 

Right you are!  I've got to get into the sign business.  Thanks a million for this constructive suggestion.

how much arai are you looking for? how much rubber per rai do the trees produce? good access to land, ie cement road, dirt track ect?

afew years ago the govenment up graded most of the non titled land around the village, alot to red paper land chanote, maybe worth asking if there could be any possible up grade in the future...

On 12/9/2019 at 2:41 PM, thoongfoned said:

how much arai are you looking for? how much rubber per rai do the trees produce? good access to land, ie cement road, dirt track ect?

afew years ago the govenment up graded most of the non titled land around the village, alot to red paper land chanote, maybe worth asking if there could be any possible up grade in the future...

I will ask again about getting a land deed, but last time I asked the family, they told me that we are on a "queue," but I don't know what that really means.  I will follow-up on that.  Thanks for the suggestion.

42 minutes ago, heretostay said:

I will ask again about getting a land deed, but last time I asked the family, they told me that we are on a "queue," but I don't know what that really means.  I will follow-up on that.  Thanks for the suggestion.

from what i saw here. wife was talking about the "upgrades for years, soon they will come" after about five years of this they came, re-measured nearly all the lands that did not hold full title, the only lands they did not re-meassure were the land that people had problems with, ie boundary lines ect... wife got new red paper "chanote" land on afew plots of old family land, and some extra rai on some already chanote land, but lost on 2 other plots, ie thought she would get say 30 rai but got "only" 20.... the land had been measured 40/50 years ago then again 25/30 years after this, then again again about 6/7 years ago..... when new title was issued husband and wife had to go sign at the local land office, then new paper follows when it comes... have to hold new land title for 10 years before selling on, but...... village folk will do/sign any thing for a quick baht or 2....

the team that measured the land  do this all the time, village to village, said the plan was to get the whole country measured/titled.... had already heard this from the local guys that measure/survey the land.. its just a matter or time, this life time or next....55

now the wife can go to the land office and get satellite/gps maps ect... when needed for say bank loans ect....

so if you got good producing trees just keep em getting tapped and not be in a hurry....

1 hour ago, thoongfoned said:

from what i saw here. wife was talking about the "upgrades for years, soon they will come" after about five years of this they came, re-measured nearly all the lands that did not hold full title, the only lands they did not re-meassure were the land that people had problems with, ie boundary lines ect... wife got new red paper "chanote" land on afew plots of old family land, and some extra rai on some already chanote land, but lost on 2 other plots, ie thought she would get say 30 rai but got "only" 20.... the land had been measured 40/50 years ago then again 25/30 years after this, then again again about 6/7 years ago..... when new title was issued husband and wife had to go sign at the local land office, then new paper follows when it comes... have to hold new land title for 10 years before selling on, but...... village folk will do/sign any thing for a quick baht or 2....

the team that measured the land  do this all the time, village to village, said the plan was to get the whole country measured/titled.... had already heard this from the local guys that measure/survey the land.. its just a matter or time, this life time or next....55

now the wife can go to the land office and get satellite/gps maps ect... when needed for say bank loans ect....

so if you got good producing trees just keep em getting tapped and not be in a hurry....

Interesting story!  So there is some hope.  Let's be patient, the only way to survive in LOS!

Archived