Concered locals for cyclists

bluesofa

Great story. Too many people are all too happy to bash Thais while the concern and eagerness to help is more common.

I can also understand their concern. In my many, many years of cycling, i don't think I've ever seen anyone laying in the grass on the side of the road.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, el jefe said:

Great story. Too many people are all too happy to bash Thais while the concern and eagerness to help is more common.

I can also understand their concern. In my many, many years of cycling, i don't think I've ever seen anyone laying in the grass on the side of the road.

Maybe they don't have hills where you come from.

To be fair, I don't like lying down in case the ants get food poisoning, and it's so hard to get up from there.

It probably makes a big difference being on your own as well.  Passers-by assume, if you are not alone, that your buddy will flag them down if you need help, while if you're sprawled out on your back they might figure perhaps you're somehow unfit to ask for help without it being offered.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

It is a bit unusual to just stop at the side of the road and just lie down, how many people do you see doing that. I cycle 1000km a month and wouldn't just stop and lie down, if tired i would keep going slowly or find somewhere to stop for a life saver coca cola and food perhaps

36 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

It is a bit unusual to just stop at the side of the road and just lie down, how many people do you see doing that. I cycle 1000km a month and wouldn't just stop and lie down, if tired i would keep going slowly or find somewhere to stop for a life saver coca cola and food perhaps

I wasn't hungry or thirsty so wasn't looking for anything to consume. For me 100km in one go is pretty hard going, so I was purely after a rest.

Ironically, less than one km after I started off again I saw a sala that I could have sat down at, but obviously I didn't know it was there initially.

• Haha 1