Foreign investment in Thailand grows 106%

webfact

An interesting BOT detailed summary of FDI for the past four quarters, by source country and by market. This report contradicts the article in the OP!

https://www.bot.or.th/App/BTWS_STAT/statistics/BOTWEBSTAT.aspx?reportID=853&language=eng

See, all you naysayers, you may actually have been right, the problem is you didn't know you were or why!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Fex Bluse said:

I have a simple challenge for you both, and others like you who seem to genuinely trust the various Thai government pronuncements. 

When two or more Thai government bodies totally contradict each other as to the "facts", I will want to see how you both respond. 

I'll tag you going forward when this happens, as it happens almost daily. 

Another poster who can't comprehend posts! Nowhere has it been said that anything is believed, we've simply asked others to support their remarks and sadly they were unable to, as it turns out we've had to do it for them.

6 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

I have a simple challenge for you both, and others like you who seem to genuinely trust the various Thai government pronuncements. 

When two or more Thai government bodies totally contradict each other as to the "facts", I will want to see how you both respond. 

I'll tag you going forward when this happens, as it happens almost daily. 

And there we go, a typical Fex Bluse reply - ignoring any direct question and not offering any supporting facts. 

Nowhere have I said I trust the government or their pronouncements. What I did say was the BOI is a 100% transparent organisation that publishes on their website details of every single company that they approve for privileges - including investment amount, ownership, industry type and which category or was approved under, location. So it is all verifiable. And therefore the article about the amount of foreign companies given boi approval and the sum of their investment is verifiable. You claim it is propaganda or bs without offering any evidence. So I ask you again to please justify it. 

And I can tell you it is verifiable as I have dealt with the BOI on several occasions and saw my company up on their site with all the correct details as soon as we received our promotion. 

1 minute ago, rkidlad said:

Reputation - it's quite important when investing in foreign countries. You need to know the country you're investing in has proper rule of law. 

Vietnam received around USD 20 bill in FDI over the past twelve months, does that communist country have rule of law! The fact is many investors don't care about rule of law, that's why they invest in emerging and developing markets because the returns at that stage of development are so much higher.

Just now, saengd said:

Vietnam received around USD 20 bill in FDI over the past twelve months, does that communist country have rule of law! The fact is many investors don't care about rule of law, that's why they invest in emerging and developing markets because the returns at that stage of development are so much higher.

Okay, good luck investing in Thailand. There's clearly a queue of foreign businesses wanting to invest here. I mean, just look how good the economy is right now. 

9 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Okay, good luck investing in Thailand. There's clearly a queue of foreign businesses wanting to invest here. I mean, just look how good the economy is right now. 

FDI is only part of the economy.

And yes, according to the article there is indeed a long queue of businesses wanting to invest here, whether that is approved or still waiting to be approved is however unclear according to the BOT stats.

20 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

What I did say was the that the BOI is a 100% transparent organisation that publishes on their website details of every single company that they approve for privileges

You accuse me of weak argument and then proceed in the next breath to demonstrate your entirely unproven (and likely unprovable) beliefs. 

How can you possibly prove such a claim? How? Have you investigated the BOI? Do you work for them? Are you indeed in charge of them? Are you with a watchdog group that oversees them? 

How can you give me confidence that your claim is supported by evidence?

I mean, what a claim! You are 100% confident. Wow!!! ????

Do you see how silly that is? 

Total BS. And what does this mean?

the number of foreign companies investing in Thailand from January to November this year has reached 22.153 billion baht (22,153,000,000), showing a 106 percent growth rate.

I did not realize there were 22 billion foreign companies out there. Very impressive that Thailand was able to attract all of them. 

3 minutes ago, saengd said:

FDI is only part of the economy.

And yes, according to the article there is indeed a long queue of businesses wanting to invest here, whether that is approved or still waiting to be approved is however unclear according to the BOT stats.

So go and invest then. Come back next year and tell me how well the economy is when it's predicted to really tank in 2020. 

3 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

So go and invest then. Come back next year and tell me how well the economy is when it's predicted to really tank in 2020. 

We invested here in 2010 and we remain so, our returns have been far better than I would have imagined so we shall remain invested. 

1 minute ago, saengd said:

We invested here in 2010 and we remain so, our returns have been far better than I would have imagined so we shall remain invested. 

Good for you. Not everyone wants to invest in an economy that's heading towards a recession. The figures quoted in this article are absolute balderdash. 

1 minute ago, rkidlad said:

Good for you. Not everyone wants to invest in an economy that's heading towards a recession. The figures quoted in this article are absolute balderdash. 

Which brings us full circle to my very first question in this thread that has yet to be answered, why are they balderdash? ....the poor grammar surrounding the 22 billion companies not withstanding.

Just now, saengd said:

Which brings us full circle to my very first question in this thread that has yet to be answered, why are they balderdash? ....the poor grammar surrounding the 22 billion companies not withstanding.

Because of the countless reasons people have been telling you. 

3 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Because of the countless reasons people have been telling you. 

Perhaps your eyesight, or maybe it's imagination, is better than mine but I don't see a single one of any substance. Regardless, I'm not going to carry on trying to persuade reluctant individuals to give up their reasoning on this subject, it's like trying to get blood from a stone.

I do understand that many posters go into Pavlov mode whenever government related numbers or facts are posted and that they feel obliged to respond by saying it's all blah blah or whatever, others need to go into blanket emoji clicking mode. That may be very entertaining and satisfying for them but it does absolutely zero for those people who are trying to understand what the reality might be and are only interested in reading fact  or well constructed arguments rather than repetitive one liners, all of which are negative towards the country.

Anyways, I'm done here, you guys go for it. 

5 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

You accuse me of weak argument and then proceed in the next breath to demonstrate your entirely unproven (and likely unprovable) beliefs. 

How can you possibly prove such a claim? How? Have you investigated the BOI? Do you work for them? Are you indeed in charge of them? Are you with a watchdog group that oversees them? 

How can you give me confidence that your claim is supported by evidence?

Do you see how silly that is? 

Not only is it widely known, but I know from personal experience over several years dealing with them. The BOI has one job and one job only - to encourage foreign investment in Thailand. It actually goes against other government agencies who seek to protect Thai industry and Thai workers (the labour department for example) 

Every single rule and regulation is clearly listed on their website - in English. Every single approval is listed in full on their website. You meet their criteria and you will receive approval. If you don't you won't. 

We all know corruption abounds in Thailand. I have been working here for 24 years and don't recall ever seeing one article about corruption in the BOI - seen it everywhere else. 

Anyway i am fully confident in what I say, it marries with my experience and the experience of anyone else I know who has worked with the BOI, it makes with commonly held knowledge in the business community, and it marries with their clear, transparent and accountable way of working. Whether you believe that or not is up to you. 

2 minutes ago, saengd said:

Perhaps your eyesight, or maybe it's imagination, is better than mine but I don't see a single one of any substance. Regardless, I'm not going to carry on trying to persuade reluctant individuals to give up their reasoning on this subject, it's like trying to get blood from a stone.

I do understand that many posters go into Pavlov mode whenever government related numbers or facts are posted and that they feel obliged to respond by saying it's all blah blah or whatever, others need to go into blanket emoji clicking mode. That may be very entertaining and satisfying for them but it does absolutely zero for those people who are trying to understand what the reality might be and are only interested in reading fact  or well constructed arguments rather than repetitive one liners, all of which are negative towards the country.

Anyways, I'm done here, you guys go for it. 

Yes, you can stop now. You've cornered yourself. 

2 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Not only is it widely known, but I know from personal experience over several years dealing with them.

Some of your arguments are fun to dismantle. But, what you say above is not one of them. 

That's as weak an argument as there is. 

What you are effectively saying, with great confidence, is - 

"I believe them, so you should too!" 

That reminds me of one of those infomercials from the 1980s with those celebrity endorsements. 

A grow of 106% ??
That means it must have more than doubled !!!

Somehow it is something I can't believe. Even a 6% grow is very hard to believe.

I want to see proof !!!
Or is it Thai calculation ??? 1 + 1 = 5.

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

Confused posters?

The only confused poster is yourself, surely no one believes all the garbage, untruths that the government lackies spew out every few days, but appears you do.

You, like the other BS shouters, haven't got a clue what is happening in the Thai business world. Better to keep quite instead of sprouting things based on nothing.

1 hour ago, rkidlad said:

Yes, they have. Read the posts. 

Point one out.  I see lots of bashers saying it is propaganda, BS, they don't believe anything the government says.  Not one person has come up with a single fact tha explains why those figures are lies.

I even pointed out - several times - that the BOI figures are 100% verifiable.

So, again, where are these facts that counter the OP?

25 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Point one out.  I see lots of bashers saying it is propaganda, BS, they don't believe anything the government says.  Not one person has come up with a single fact tha explains why those figures are lies.

I even pointed out - several times - that the BOI figures are 100% verifiable.

So, again, where are these facts that counter the OP?

So show us how these figures are 100% verifiable. 

2 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Not only is it widely known, but I know from personal experience over several years dealing with them. The BOI has one job and one job only - to encourage foreign investment in Thailand. It actually goes against other government agencies who seek to protect Thai industry and Thai workers (the labour department for example) 

Every single rule and regulation is clearly listed on their website - in English. Every single approval is listed in full on their website. You meet their criteria and you will receive approval. If you don't you won't. 

We all know corruption abounds in Thailand. I have been working here for 24 years and don't recall ever seeing one article about corruption in the BOI - seen it everywhere else. 

Anyway i am fully confident in what I say, it marries with my experience and the experience of anyone else I know who has worked with the BOI, it makes with commonly held knowledge in the business community, and it marries with their clear, transparent and accountable way of working. Whether you believe that or not is up to you. 

They still answer to Mr P Brain and Mr Peabody so I'm sure they will massage the figures to avert a trip to the gulag.

Show me a fully functioning non corrupt junta and I'll show you a liar

38 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

So show us how these figures are 100% verifiable. 

Reading comprehension issues again.  The BOI post on their website, in English, the details of every single application they approve.  They give the company name, the ownership details of that company, what type of industry it is and which category of BOI promotion it falls under, and where it is physically situated.  This information is then all easily cross referenced with the DBD database  (all online, searchable) which gives you shareholder information, registered capital, investment (and P&L information if the company is already trading).

Ergo 100% verifiable.  If you want to go for it knock yourself out.

Archived