Foreign investment in Thailand grows 106%

webfact

On 12/6/2019 at 9:48 AM, Fex Bluse said:

Some of your arguments are fun to dismantle. But, what you say above is not one of them. 

That's as weak an argument as there is. 

What you are effectively saying, with great confidence, is - 

"I believe them, so you should too!" 

That reminds me of one of those infomercials from the 1980s with those celebrity endorsements. 

Nope, what I am saying is "I have extensive experience of dealing with them over many years with different companies and under different governments."  You have none. 

You base your opinion on just a general loathing for anything Thai, I base mine on personal experience.  I honestly couldn't care less whether you believe me or not,  you can hate the BOI and everyone who is part of it and it wouldn't affect me one jot.  But when I see people spouting lies or nonsense based on absolutely no evidence then I will speak up.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Nope, what I am saying is "I have extensive experience of dealing with them over many years with different companies and under different governments."  You have none. 

You base your opinion on just a general loathing for anything Thai, I base mine on personal experience.  I honestly couldn't care less whether you believe me or not,  you can hate the BOI and everyone who is part of it and it wouldn't affect me one jot.  But when I see people spouting lies or nonsense based on absolutely no evidence then I will speak up.

You lose all credibility when you assume to know my dealings in Thailand. How could you know? Why have you started to argue as a child does?

I've owned or been a part owner of multiple firms in Thailand, including the Thai operation of a 30 billion USD global business. 

1 hour ago, morrobay said:

The folks on the other side of this 106% claim seem to have experience/facts to support it. What do you have specifically to negate this claim? 

They have not given me anything specifically to support it, other than statements by the very people making the claims. 

You understand that does not constitute necessarily reliable evidence, yes? 

I am sometimes reminded that it is not only Thai education that needs work. 

That out of the way, anyone who has studied statistics knows that it is often fraught with inconsistencies. 

1728474570_Screenshot_20191209-064125_AdobeAcrobat.jpg.25609613171c4940ea14fe52d43740f9.jpg

46 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

They have not given me anything specifically to support it, other than statements by the very people making the claims. 

That out of the way, anyone who has studied statistics knows that it is often fraught with inconsistencies. 

1728474570_Screenshot_20191209-064125_AdobeAcrobat.jpg.25609613171c4940ea14fe52d43740f9.jpg

The article was about BOI applications and approvals.  Black and white.

You said ti was government propaganda and untrue, yet have failed to give a single shred of evidence to support that.

On 12/6/2019 at 7:26 AM, josephbloggs said:

Reading comprehension and maths obviously not your strong point.

I love the way you are just ignoring people who ask you to explain your reasoning behind calling it BS - a usual TVF tactic by the naysayers.  Bash and run.

Having dealt with the BOI and set up two BOI companies in the last few years I can say they are easily the most honest, transparent, and outward looking government body.  What's more, that transparency extends to listing every single company that they award privileges to on their website, along with ownership details, investment details, location etc.  

So let me join the others in asking you to explain what your issue is with it and exactly why it is BS?  I'm waiting.

Lolololol..... 

How long has it been since you left a first world country? 

3 minutes ago, macgver said:

Tesco plan to exit Thailand, so where is your stats come from? Old records, so that encourage more investors to come back. Most of my friends already moved their businesses from Thailand to Vietnam. 

What has Tesco got to do with it?  Tesco are shedding all of their foreign businesses and have been over the last few years.  Totally irrelevant.

1 hour ago, Fex Bluse said:

So the short answer to that question was...nothing! Why not just say that!

18 minutes ago, macgver said:

Tesco plan to exit Thailand, so where is your stats come from? Old records, so that encourage more investors to come back. Most of my friends already moved their businesses from Thailand to Vietnam. 

The Tesco example is very unique, Tesco was not looking to sell its holdings in Malaysia and Thailand but a mystery buyer has expressed interest and the deal, if it goes through, will attract a substantial premium:

"an analyst at Shore Capital, said the Asian operations were a “trophy asset” given Tesco’s leading market position in Thailand and the growth potential offered by a country experiencing increasing urbanisation. “It could go for a very high price, and it’s also the case that Tesco doesn’t need to sell,” he said. “It should be a knockout price.”

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/dec/08/tesco-weighs-up-sale-of-thai-and-malaysian-stores

So most of your friends have moved their businesses from Thailand to Malaysia, really! What was the reason those many friends did that, was it that Vietnam is more understanding towards nomads with laptops producing youtube vids.!

I wrote elsewhere recently that fifteen years ago, the vast majority of posters on TVF were making much the same noises then as they are today, they said: the baht is overpriced and will return to 85 to the Pound soon; THB reach 40, you're barking mad; the banks are overstretched and not to be trusted, many will fail soon; tourism numbers have peaked, they can't sensibly go much higher; the currency is being manipulated for the sake of the elite; Thailand's exports don't amount to much, just some agricultural stuff; who in their right mind would invest in Thailand given all the corruption here; there's just no way I'd ever put 800k into a Thai bank for my visa, no way at all. 

You'd think after 15 years people would learn something useful that was actually right but it seems not.

Archived