Police say killing of British man on holiday in Phuket is murder

webfact

1 hour ago, yogi100 said:

Apparently this Norwegian was something of an iron bender and did not look like the sort of person any of us would care to take issue with.

The Sikh family were unfortunate that they were put next to him and the hotel security should have nipped the Norwegian's drunken behaviour in the bud when it started.

What on earth made the Thai authorities think that a foreigner was going to hang about to face justice after he'd just been caught bang to rights killing someone. It was odds on that he was going to try and scarper.

If I was a family man I'd think twice about bringing my family to the Land of Smiles.

Indeed. The accused is a Martial Arts Expert and worked, IIRC, as a bouncer.

I think the hotel security were probably scared. If so they should've called the police. But, as we know, the police here are not the same as most forces, and not the same interests. 

IIRC a police officer said they had no worries of him jumping bail as they had his passport - 555!

At the end of the day it's two foreigners. No Thai has been injured. Same old story. No real interest and someone in authority needs to really investigate how the accused left Phuket and Thailand whilst on bail. 

Reminiscent of the American, who'd previously served time for murder, who kicked an Aussie to death in Pattaya. All went quiet and he was suddenly back home in the US. Or the two rich Chinese-American thugs who severely beat up a young Aussie and never really got punished especially after one's rich dad turned up. 

Land of smiles is a lovely place - but keep clear of any trouble and conflict and don't expect justice. 

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Chazar said:

Oh and there  was me  thinking  he strangled  him by accident, an easy  mistake to make i  guess

There was a claimed element of self-defence made by the Norwegian initially, that's why there has been a police investigation into the full circumstances but I suppose your sarcasm is not only humourous but justified in this sad murder, eh?

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

so many question marks with this story, why would anyone sings at 4 am and disturb other guests, how can anyone storm into locked hotel room strangle a man and no one calls for help? and why the police has to take the time and think weather it was a murder, natural death or a suicide?...

There's no question marks at all really if you bear in mind the original reports of this murder; the Norwegian claimed that the victim stabbed him and he was trying to defend himself.

8 minutes ago, metempsychotic said:

odd. i raised a daughter here without issue.

thing about random violence is ......

its random.

Like the attack on that family in Hua Hin who were kicked unconscious. Was that 'odd' as well?

That was also random but I bet they'll never come to Thailand again.

Neither will this Sikh woman and her now fatherless child. Perhaps that's 'odd' too.

Was the British man dying of the injuries he received outside the Mandarin Agogo in Pattaya just another random incident. Was it also odd.

Stories of attacks on or the murder of tourists in the LOS are becoming more common than in other holiday destinations. There seems to be a lot of 'random' violence going on in the resorts of Thailand these days and perhaps that's another reason why fewer Westerners are visiting.

Off the top of my head I can think of several violent deaths in Pattaya alone over the years and also incidents in which tourists have been beaten by Thai 'doormen'. I witnessed one such attack. That was a bit too 'random' for my liking. And there was nothing even the slightest bit 'odd' about it.

And a reduction in the number of tourists is only going to result in more violence as some locals turn to crime to get whatever it is they need to survive.

17 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

Like the attack on that family in Hua Hin who were kicked unconscious. Was that 'odd' as well?

That was also random but I bet they'll never come to Thailand again.

Neither will this Sikh woman and her now fatherless child. Perhaps that's 'odd' too.

Was the British man dying of the injuries he received outside the Mandarin Agogo in Pattaya just another random incident. Was it also odd.

Stories of attacks on or the murder of tourists in the LOS are becoming more common than in other holiday destinations. There seems to be a lot of 'random' violence going on in the resorts of Thailand these days and perhaps that's another reason why fewer Westerners are visiting.

Off the top of my head I can think of several violent deaths in Pattaya alone over the years and also incidents in which tourists have been beaten by Thai 'doormen'. I witnessed one such attack. That was a bit too 'random' for my liking. And there was nothing even the slightest bit 'odd' about it.

And a reduction in the number of tourists is only going to result in more violence as some locals turn to crime to get whatever it is they need to survive.

how do several violent deaths in pattaya or an altercation resulting in death at a hotel, or similar tourist related deaths equate to it being unsafe to raise a family in thailand?

edit:

i misread your post i see you said bring a family to thailand, not raise one.

at any rate i still disagree, families are far less likely to put themselves in a situation where they are in danger, <deleted> happens the world over.

2 hours ago, Docno said:

What a tragic mess. First story (actually provided by the police!) was that the Sikh Brit had stormed into the Norwegian man's room with a steak knife and that the Norwegian had killed the Brit in self-defense. That clearly did not match evidence (the Brit's room would have shown signs of forced entry and struggle) and eyewitness accounts. That story shifted, with the Norwegian becoming the aggressor. 

"First story (actually provided by the police!) was that the Sikh Brit had stormed into the Norwegian man's room with a steak knife..."

Don't forget that the police were  given that story by the Norwegian, they didn't make it up!

4 minutes ago, metempsychotic said:

how do several violent deaths in pattaya or an altercation resulting in death at a hotel, or similar tourist related deaths equate to it being unsafe to raise a family in thailand?

But this topic is not about the actual raising of a family in Thailand.

It's about the murder of a tourist in one of Thailand's major holiday resorts.

1 hour ago, WhatupThailand said:

The real point: No Bad Falang News today,

SO drag this story out from August 21, 2019, cause got to have Front Page Bad Falang News.

The news report came from the UK, nothing to do with "dragging out bad falang [sic] news" in Thailand.  Geez...

2 hours ago, kiwikeith said:

what we don't know is what evolved in the fight, it might have started as talk and ended up a brawl, manslaughter should be a factor until the full story is known

You may not know that but anyone who has read all the reports does know what "evolved".

7 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

What a silly thing to say!

Of course - you are much safer on the streets in London/UK (stabbings/bombers etc)

What a stupid remark.

Why not try asking the wife of the victim in this topic where she thinks it's 'much safer'.

I'll bet she'd tell you she wished they'd stayed in London and had never even considered coming to Thailand.

9 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

But this topic is not about the actual raising of a family in Thailand.

It's about the murder of a tourist in one of Thailand's major holiday resorts.

...by a foreign tourist!  Apart from the geographic location, nothing to do with the safety of Thailand or Thai people.

7 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I'd also be looking at how he managed to get out of the country and who was involved 

I've often wondered how do people who get into these situations live their lives. Surely if he returns to Norway they will extradite him back to Thailand? Or do they simply hide out in some shady areas of Cambodia for the rest of their existence. 
Also that guy from Liverpool England who killed 2 Thais on a bike with his Mercedes, probably drunk. He was arrested and then we heard nothing else from that case. 

59 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Land of smiles is a lovely place - but keep clear of any trouble and conflict and don't expect justice. 

Lots of people have a very optimistic fantasy about western justice.

Ask Jeffery Epstein what he thinks of western justice?

19 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

...by a foreign tourist!  Apart from the geographic location, nothing to do with the safety of Thailand or Thai people.

What does it matter who killed him, he's still just as dead.

It did actually happen in Thailand on Thai soil whether you like it or not.

Perhaps if the Thai hotel security staff had been more on the ball and intervened some time before 4 am or if they were scared of this muscle bound thug wisely called the Thai police before things escalated and the murder took place the Sikh fellow would still be alive.

And if the Thai authorities had not released him the Sikh family might at least not have to suffer the pain of knowing that their husband and father's killer is not now on the run escaping justice.

5 hours ago, soalbundy said:

It would depend upon whether it was premeditated or not, did he enter the room to kill or was it done in the heat of the moment, more likely is that he was/is mentally unstable.

Murder does not need to be premeditated to such an extent, Murder requires the guilty act and the guilty mind, He can form the intention to kill at any point during the attack and this makes it murder. without the intent to kill then it is manslaughter. The intent can also be passed from one person to another, if for example I wanted to kill you and shot at you, but missed and killed someone near you then it is still murder as I had an intention to kill, and that intention can be passed from one person to another.

44 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Thailand has the death sentence, Norway won't extradite in this case.

I'm told prisons in Norway are much better than most retirement homes in the west.

Many Scandinavian countries have very clean and 'hotel like' prisons, as well as having low crime rates.. go figure. 
So if one commits murder in LOS and then heads back home where capital punishment has been abolished, there is no issue for that person whatsoever lol? That's pretty crazy 

I aint no expert on the law (other than having appeared before a judge on a series of crimes, shamefully (some for violence) as an active out of my mind drunk and junkie).

To me, (with my limited but personal experience of assault and courts) a person who grabs a person by the throat and takes the time to deliberately and continue to strangle them until they are dead could well be seen by government prosecutors and a presiding judge (yet to be seen and heard) as part of a conscious premeditated series of acts to cause serious bodily harm at the very least (considered a serious offence under our Crimes Act bringing a minimum charge of grievous bodily harm (GBH) in Australia). Add to this the conscious decision and act of continuing to strangle until the person is lifeless i.e. strangling another takes 60 seconds at the very least and at the later stages of strangling it is plain to see and feel (by the strangler) that the person is no longer resisting and closing in on a death experience). This goes way beyond the notion of self-defence i.e. subduing due to fear of ones' own safety and might constitute to a court of law murder rather than misadventure resulting from self-defence, and or manslaughter. If there are witness/es to say that the accused was far stronger and the aggressor in the contact then murder is well within the bounds of charges and possible conviction.

Poor family had to witness this death. Person is dead due to violence. Staff of hotel have had to see the results and the distraught family members. Ambuklance folks have had to attend and see the same and handle the deceased (an unnecessary death). All round a horrible affair ???? 

8 hours ago, stevenl said:

You're omitting manslaughter from your choices. And since it looks like it would be manslaughter or murder, a decision not always easy to make, that is important.

There was no plan to kill the person so it can't be murder. It happened on the spares of the moment with no intensions of killing him but he killed him so that would be manslaughter.

The person is not a British man but a British Citizen. He looks Indian to me . I'm a British man ethnically  English. A cow born in a stable doesn't  make it a horse.

6 hours ago, bangkoken said:

It seems there are so many homicide investigations in Thailand that just do not end well. They had the suspect in custody, they had an eye witness and then the suspect doesn't show up for court. What's wrong with this picture? What was the suspect doing being free to begin with when he killed someone? A murder suspect just seems to vanish. It seems the Thai Police need an overhaul in their methods of investigation, apprehension and the holding onto of suspects.

Thats the downside of having a legal system where you are able to pay bail after you get arrested. Because then there will always be a risk of the person not turning up for a court date. If the Thai lawmakers were smart, they should remove the possibility for arrested tourists to be able to get bail and hold them in custody until the court date. 
But then again, they would also make less money... 

2 hours ago, Just Weird said:

"First story (actually provided by the police!) was that the Sikh Brit had stormed into the Norwegian man's room with a steak knife..."

Don't forget that the police were  given that story by the Norwegian, they didn't make it up!

Sure - but I assume the evidence of a struggle in only one room (and a balcony door being broken in one direction rather than the other) should have caused them to question his account and not simply echo to the press his version of events...  

Archived