Ministry pushes motorists to utilise QR code licence plates

geovalin

The Transport Ministry is encouraging drivers to replace their old licence plates with ones displaying QR codes in a bid to curb the use of fake plates in the Kingdom.

Minister Sun Chanthol during a discussion on traffic safety in Phnom Penh on Tuesday said the Ministry of Finance was asked to provide financial support in making QR code plates more readily available so authorities can easily manage data, protect against fraud and conduct investigations. “Drivers who still use old licence plates, please come and change them with ones displaying QR codes,” Mr Chanthol said. “It is free, our government will spend about $3 million…to make this work.”

He said at some point the authorities will require all licence plates to display QR codes. “It is a gift from the government,” Mr Chanthol added. The ministry in 2017 began replacing conventional licence plates with ones displaying QR codes.

read more https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50667607/ministry-pushes-motorists-to-utilise-qr-code-licence-plates/

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

Translation :- QR codes are MUCH easier to read electronically than conventional digits and characters. It means we will be able to catch more speeders and lane jumpers.

Ha ha ha m every time I see a Stop check every one who is breaking the law go the other way .

Totally asinine if I understand correctly...... Do you mean there are no letters and numbers on the plates????   If so the average 'Somchai' cannot find his car in the carpark or when a car kills somebody and speeds away,, NONE of the witnesses will be able to identify the car by a licence number...   

Totally asinine   by asinine people (Thai officials) making new policies.... with present gov't conditions..... I 'Pity' the poor Thais a few years down the road...... In Thailand, After almost 40 years observing..... "The rich get richer and the poor get poorer" and the gov't officials keep doing stupid things like this proposal......  WOW!!!!!

Archived