Biden finally finds social media buzz with viral Trump video, voter spat

webfact

Biden finally finds social media buzz with viral Trump video, voter spat

By Trevor Hunnicutt and James Oliphant

2019-12-05T191046Z_1_LYNXMPEFB41OD_RTROPTP_4_USA-ELECTION-BIDEN.JPG

Democratic 2020 U.S. presidential candidate and former U.S. Vice President Joe Biden speaks during a meeting at Chickasaw Event Center in New Hampton, Iowa, U.S., December 5, 2019. REUTERS/Shannon Stapleton

(Reuters) - For a candidate who has struggled at times to get noticed on social media, Joe Biden finally got some online attention on Thursday - for better or worse.

First, the Biden campaign posted a video on Twitter that brutally took down President Donald Trump, suggesting he is a laughingstock to other world leaders. Then a heated back-and-forth with an Iowa voter quickly went viral.

Together, the moments generated a digital buzz that has often eluded Biden, whose campaign appeals most to traditional, older Democratic voters. Such attention has generally been enjoyed instead by some of his chief rivals in the 2020 Democratic presidential race.

The 77-year-old former vice president continues to lead among Democrats in national polls and has so far withstood challenges from U.S. Senator Elizabeth Warren and others in the battle for the party's nomination to take on Trump in the November 2020 election.

The normally affable Biden lost his composure at a campaign event in New Hampton, Iowa, on Thursday, sparring with a man in the crowd who questioned him about his role in the Ukraine scandal that has been dogging Trump.

"You're a damn liar, man," Biden told the man, who suggested without evidence that Biden had helped his son Hunter land a lucrative position with the Ukrainian oil company Burisma.

"No one has said my son has done anything wrong," Biden said. "Get your words straight, jack."

Trump's request that Ukraine launch an investigation targeting Joe Biden is at the centre of the impeachment probe of the president being conducted by the U.S. House of Representatives.

Trump has accused the Bidens of corruption, without offering evidence. They have denied wrongdoing, and the allegations have not been substantiated.

The heckler at the Iowa event also questioned Biden's fitness for office. Biden responded by challenging the man to a push-up contest or an IQ test - and appeared at one point to call him "fat."

The video of the exchange quickly made the rounds on Twitter. Trump's re-election campaign posted it, suggesting that Biden had gone "berserk."

A Biden campaign aide later said online that Biden had said "facts," not "fat."

MILLIONS OF VIEWS

Earlier, the Biden campaign had been basking in accolades for its Twitter post playing off a clip taken at a NATO summit in Britain this week that appeared to show Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau joking about Trump's press appearances during a chat with other world leaders.

"The world is laughing," read the text over that clip and others of Trump's trips abroad. "We need a leader the world respects."

Democratic pundits and strategists on Twitter praised the spot as perhaps Biden's most effective yet. As of Thursday evening, it had garnered more than 9 million views. The campaign soon posted it to Facebook and told Reuters it was also promoting it to likely caucus-goers in the early presidential nominating state of Iowa on Instagram, YouTube and Hulu.

On a day when Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden sought to fortify his foreign policy credentials in his quest to take on Donald Trump next year, he mixed it up with an Iowa voter over his son's alleged role in the Ukraine scandal that has been dogging the president.

The campaign also used the video in a fundraising pitch on Thursday, asking supporters to help turn the online ad into a TV spot.

"TV ads are expensive. We want to raise $150,000 today," read an email from the campaign.

The Twitter spot was conceived and produced in-house, the Biden campaign said. "When (Biden) saw the painful reception that Trump received from world leaders representing countries that have traditionally been strong American allies, it struck a chord and he felt the need to speak out," a Biden aide said.

The Trump campaign condemned it.

"As the president has said, Joe Biden claims that foreign leaders have told him they want him to win the election. Of course they do, they want to keep ripping off the United States like they did before Trump became president," campaign spokesman Tim Murtaugh said.

Biden's campaign was endorsed on Thursday by John Kerry, the former U.S. senator and 2004 Democratic presidential nominee. Kerry was also secretary of state under Democratic President Barack Obama, whom Biden served as vice president.

"I've never before seen the world more in need of someone who on day one can begin the incredibly hard work of putting back together the world Donald Trump has smashed apart," Kerry said in a statement, crediting Biden's help on fighting Islamic State and striking a deal on Iran's nuclear programme.

Kerry will join Biden on the campaign trail on Friday in Iowa and on Sunday in New Hampshire. The states will be the first to vote on a Democratic nominee next February, and Kerry won both states in the 2004 primaries.

(Reporting and writing by Trevor Hunnicutt and James Oliphant; Additional reporting by Elizabeth Culliford in San Francisco; Editing by Colleen Jenkins, Dan Grebler and Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-12-06

The only social buzz I've seen is what a loser Joe is. He's previously run twice for president.

1988: Won 2 delegates (0.05%)

2008: Win 0 delegates (0%)

You really want this guy running again? Perhaps if you want to ensure Trump another four years.

Interesting that Reuters chose a headline that totally misses the point. Those "world leaders" outed themselves as the political adolescents that they actually are. Treadeu, Macron and Johnson were caught on a news organizations "hot mic" acting like jealous high school students making fun of the popular kid on the school campus. All of this in the context of NATO's 70th anniversary of existence, which btw, Trump recognizes as an anachronism. The article goes on to describe Joe Biden's clear immoral denial of the Biden's on the take in the Ukraine. The fact that Biden repeatedly loses his public speaking cool, every time someone even mentions Ukraine should tell you something... if your honestly paying attention.

1 minute ago, Tounge Thaied said:

Treadeu, Macron and Johnson were caught on a news organizations "hot mic" acting like jealous high school students making fun of the popular kid on the school campus.

Why exactly do you think is "the popular kid on the school campus"?

Did you watch too much FOX  "news"?

26 minutes ago, webfact said:

A Biden campaign aide later said online that Biden had said "facts," not "fat."

I guess the Biden Camp has learned to use linguistic twisting from the Trump Camp.

This (facts/fat) reminds me of Trump's Putin comment "I don't know why he would" (would/wouldn't, whatever).

Biden was shifty as hell in this video. His body language was that of a belligerent liar who get on the offensive when 

called out.

He is Mr Gaffe.....in one short exchange he insulted the questioner....calling him Jack, Fat, and OLD.

Yes, OLD. Look who's talking.

2 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

Biden was shifty as hell in this video. His body language was that of a belligerent liar who get on the offensive when 

called out.

He is Mr Gaffe.....in one short exchange he insulted the questioner....calling him Jack, Fat, and OLD.

That’s funney belligerent liar coming from a trump supporter priceless !!!!

1 minute ago, JHolmesJr said:

called out.

The problem with Biden is, his Ego tells him he's witty. You have to give him credit however, like any good mafia man, he has managed to stay on top of the gangster hierarchy. 

58 minutes ago, Tounge Thaied said:

Interesting that Reuters chose a headline that totally misses the point. Those "world leaders" outed themselves as the political adolescents that they actually are. Treadeu, Macron and Johnson were caught on a news organizations "hot mic" acting like jealous high school students making fun of the popular kid on the school campus. 

Popular kid on the school campus???:cheesy:

This is absolutely priceless! Three base Trump supporters accusing Biden of doing what Trump is doing almost on a daily basis: Fat shaming, acting like a gangster, lying, being shifty, losing his cool.

Sometimes I really wonder what goes on in people's heads (or rather what doesn't go on). It just beggars belief that people can be so out of whack with reality.

5 minutes ago, Becker said:

This is absolutely priceless! Three base Trump supporters accusing Biden of doing what Trump is doing almost on a daily basis: Fat shaming, acting like a gangster, lying, being shifty, losing his cool.

Sometimes I really wonder what goes on in people's heads (or rather what doesn't go on). It just beggars belief that people can be so out of whack with reality.

Literally our opinions here mean nothing... I will make a prediction however. When this ^*(& show gets to the Senate, more of the truth of what is really going on in the Ukraine will be revealed and Trump will never be impeached. The reality is, the Republicans are not going to vote for impeachment. That is the reality in this beligerent reality star TV show playing out right now. All of this comes down to yet another dog and pony show, within the three ring circus in the American government (executive, congressional and judicial)... a &O*()* three ring circus show. Last comment folks... it's been fun. Cheers. 

1 minute ago, Tounge Thaied said:

what is really going on in the Ukraine will be revealed and Trump will never be impeached.

You really need to get an understanding of how this process works. Impeachment and the senate are two completely different things. Trump will be impeached, that's a foregone conclusion. THEN it goes to the senate to vote on removal of an already impeached president. When you make the argument you just did again and again (this is not the first time I've tried explaining this to you) it undermines your credibility.

I don't want Trump or Biden. Both are arrogant dirtbags. The US does need lots of change and both parties have failed the American people in so many ways. It would be nice if the US could do as well for its people as some of the better nations in Europe with four weeks vacation a year and healthcare. Republicans don't want that. The US needs border control but the Dems don't care. The wealth need to pay more in taxes while the lazy poor need to be forced to work. I expect the nation to slide into civil war and violence soon. It'll all burn down. The world laughs but as it burns down, the nukes will launch and turn the earth into a melting pot like the US. Yeee haaaw! Go USA! Hopelessly <deleted>!

3 hours ago, Tounge Thaied said:

Interesting that Reuters chose a headline that totally misses the point. Those "world leaders" outed themselves as the political adolescents that they actually are. Treadeu, Macron and Johnson were caught on a news organizations "hot mic" acting like jealous high school students making fun of the popular kid on the school campus. All of this in the context of NATO's 70th anniversary of existence, which btw, Trump recognizes as an anachronism. The article goes on to describe Joe Biden's clear immoral denial of the Biden's on the take in the Ukraine. The fact that Biden repeatedly loses his public speaking cool, every time someone even mentions Ukraine should tell you something... if your honestly paying attention.

Whatever anyone thinks of Trump - Macron, Trudeau and Boris are hardly mature highly professional world statesmen are they? One could easily take the <deleted> out of all of them as they've all got plenty to go at.

That's the problem, the Free World, the Developed World, the West, call it what you will, has a massive lack of highly capable leaders. 

On the other side there's Xi, Putin, and numerous minor dictators all cementing their positions.

What's gone wrong?

5 hours ago, Tounge Thaied said:

the popular kid?

way to spin it.

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

Whatever anyone thinks of Trump - Macron, Trudeau and Boris are hardly mature highly professional world statesmen are they? One could easily take the <deleted> out of all of them as they've all got plenty to go at.

That's the problem, the Free World, the Developed World, the West, call it what you will, has a massive lack of highly capable leaders. 

On the other side there's Xi, Putin, and numerous minor dictators all cementing their positions.

What's gone wrong?

Macron has nothing in common with Trump, Bolsonaro, Duterte, Erdogan, NK Kim, OK he is still young but not infantile, he's not a serial populist  liar, he owes nothing to Russia

He's been elected to implement unpopular reforms and has to deliver despite the opposition of the part of the population that still wants to believe in fairy tales. 

Macron is'nt by far the worst that France has on display, he can get better with experience while all his actual political opponents are totally overtaken by reality. 

For Trudeau and Johnson, I have no opinion. 

4 hours ago, J Town said:

You really need to get an understanding of how this process works. Impeachment and the senate are two completely different things. Trump will be impeached, that's a foregone conclusion. THEN it goes to the senate to vote on removal of an already impeached president. When you make the argument you just did again and again (this is not the first time I've tried explaining this to you) it undermines your credibility.

No one cares. It's a set up and it is obvious to everyone. Put your hand up if you have EVIDENCE of any improper behaviour 4 high-falutin lawyers were asked... not ONE raised their hand. It's a sham.

4 hours ago, J Town said:

You sir, are sadly mistaken.  You are way off the mark, not even close.  

This is NOT a legal impeachment hearing, this has been an unconstitutional "impeachment inquiry".  There is a huge difference between the two.  Even the Democrats have not called this an impeachment hearing.

It has been a corrupt behind closed doors partisan witch hunt, without one shred of evidence being submitted.  Only partisan options against Trump.   The Senate will be a whole different ballgame!

Only the Senate can vote for impeachment, and it has to be by a 2/3 majority.  

If it goes to a full trial in the Senate, Adam Schiff, Nancy Pelosi, and others will be scorched.

Trump has been saying all along, that he wants this to go to the Senate for a full "open" trial.

Why do you think Trump wants this to go to the Senate??

Do you understand the difference between one's opinion, and actual tangible evidence?

29 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes I agree but I have heard of a way to talk to them though. I haven't tried it myself. The basic idea ask them about their personal background to tell you how they came about to be a MAGA person. Then maybe you can have a  discussion based on some detail about that. For example if it was related to health care you might be able to find commo ground. 

I worked for the Federal Gov't, with a TS.  Not in politics.

However, I like to research things.  Maybe you should try it.  But I understand it is much easier to watch the corrupt, fake, media.  CNN is propaganda, NOT news.

You like the others drinking the kool-aid, we soon see many surprising truths.  I can't wait!

What is your alleged superior background sir?

2 hours ago, BobBKK said:

No one cares. It's a set up and it is obvious to everyone. Put your hand up if you have EVIDENCE of any improper behaviour 4 high-falutin lawyers were asked... not ONE raised their hand. It's a sham.

Put your hand up if you have evidence of any improper behavior, four cab drivers were asked....

these lawyers you appear to be referencing were not a part of investigations into impeachment, so could not have evidence of improper behavior. What they did have, however, was a learned opinion on constitutional law.... experts in their fields, if you will.... which by a happy coincidence, they were there to give... and lo... on the topic which they were there to comment on... not so good for king don

4 minutes ago, JMSIII said:

Have you heard the name John Durham??   For your lack of informed position, there has been an investigation going for some time now.  A month or so ago, it turned into a criminal investigation.  

Speaking of brick walls, you sir are just another misinformed person.  Please keep drinking the MSM kool-aid...  Drink up!

You mock other posters for being uninformed or misinformed but apparently it's you the uninformed person.

The Durham investigation never aimed at investigating Biden and his son (your post was about Biden, right?)

According to your previous post, there is ample evidence (or ground for suspicion) against Joe and Hunter Biden, so I recall my question: why is it that Barr did not start an investigation? On top of it, it's not like his boss doesn't care, right?

24 minutes ago, candide said:

You mock other posters for being uninformed or misinformed but apparently it's you the uninformed person.

The Durham investigation never aimed at investigating Biden and his son (your post was about Biden, right?)

According to your previous post, there is ample evidence (or ground for suspicion) against Joe and Hunter Biden, so I recall my question: why is it that Barr did not start an investigation? On top of it, it's not like his boss doesn't care, right?

Look up Joe Biden quid pro quo in Ukraine.  You can watch the video.  Why did Joe Biden want the Ukrainian prosecutor fired?   Who was the prosecutor investigating?  Hunter Biden?

Barr did start an investigation.  Have you heard of John Huber?

Who is Durham aiming for?

The criminal investigation covers all that are connected to the spying on candidate, then President Elect, then President Trump.  And a lot more.

The Ukraine will tie in not only the Bidens, but the Clintons and Obama.

The criminal investigation will go far beyond Spygate.   In some cases, it will involve treason, sedition, and worse...

22 minutes ago, jany123 said:

Put your hand up if you have evidence of any improper behavior, four cab drivers were asked....

these lawyers you appear to be referencing were not a part of investigations into impeachment, so could not have evidence of improper behavior. What they did have, however, was a learned opinion on constitutional law.... experts in their fields, if you will.... which by a happy coincidence, they were there to give... and lo... on the topic which they were there to comment on... not so good for king don

So, so, wrong...  Did you listen to Jonathan Turley?  You should.  He even stated that he is not a Trump supporter.  The other three embarrassed themselves and the Democrats.  

Why do you think Nadler was told to stop after just one day??

5 minutes ago, J Town said:

Becker uses facts, you use weak slams.

Time will tell, won't it?   Barr, Durham, Huber, are all investigating many different people for many different things.  An investigation can take you many different ways.  Time will tell...

Archived