Recently relocated to Siem Reap from LOS

Aspaltso

Thanks for the Reply New Beginnings. Indeed I have been to Angkor Market, I'm lucky to live around the corner from there. My belief is that a lot of those imported products are coming from the U.S, and Australia as there is a large Khmer Diaspora in those countries, and I share your belief that there is quite a large variety of goods compared to the Thai "cookie cutter" selection. My comments were trying to convey a broader sense of goods sold here compared to what an expat in Thailand might be used to. I might have missed the mark on that. I do share your sentiments in regards to the French influence here, it feels so much more interesting than Thailand at times. Thanks for the info on the Bakery; I'll go have a look. BTW the best bakery I've ever been to in Southeast Asia is the French Bakery off of 26th street directly opposite Tevy's Place. Thanks for the reply New Beginnings.

• Like 2

sonnyboy2018: I don't have any detailed info on nightlife etc, as I have limited my drinking in recent years. I'm part of the "2 year, no beer crowd". I do know from word of mouth there really isn't a girly bar scene here, however there is a strong "bar presence" where freelancers are around, but I don't know firsthand.

11 minutes ago, Ron jeremy said:

and to scuba: after living in pattaya, what do u do during the day in pattaya, besides sitting in a bar that you can't do in Cambodia?

lets face it, hanging in the mall gets boring after a while.

Golf, cycling, 10 pin bowling, pool, good walks, many friends here or passing through in the high season, bars, massage, coffee and of course many gf opportunities. How about Siem Reap?

scubascuba3:  Golf, cycling, 10 pin bowling, pool, good walks, many friends here or passing through in the high season, bars, massage, coffee and of course many gf opportunities. How about Siem Reap?

All of these you can do with the exception of 10 pin bowling, and Siem Reap is developing so quickly there may be 10 pin bowling in a year. I'd say the gf opportunities are less over here, but by no means slim. There are plenty of khmer women looking for foreign, white men. Or foreign dark men for that matter. Anyways, I typically spend my time at a nice cafe morning time(there's plenty around, i,e coffee, or even custom tea cafes), there are plenty of opportunities to get involved in community development(if that's your thing, some people don't like working for the NGO's). I personally am involved with a reforestation effort. It keeps me busy and allows me to get exposed to the region more. There are plenty of bars here, I see many lounging around 2:30 afternoon time having a cold one. If that's your thing, you'd be happy here in Siem Reap. Otherwise, make your own fun. I've been doing it since I was 7 years old.

• Like 2

I'd be interested in hearing about the medical side of things. Once upon a time for anything serious you'd have to be air-lifted to Bangkok or Singapore. What about local doctors? Are prescription medications as readily available as in Thailand? I'm an insulin-dependent diabetic so I'm guessing I may find things more difficult

• Like 1

ThaiBunny : Your concern is justified. The availability of health care, and facilities isn't nearly as advanced as what you have in Bangkok, however there are some very decent foreign clinics here (with western doctors) that can sort through many of the minor ailments that affect us. However, its still the case that if you were to experience anything "major" i.e injuries from an accident, or anything else you'd need to get on a plane for Bangkok, or Singapore.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Aspaltso said:

ThaiBunny : Your concern is justified. The availability of health care, and facilities isn't nearly as advanced as what you have in Bangkok, however there are some very decent foreign clinics here (with western doctors) that can sort through many of the minor ailments that affect us. However, its still the case that if you were to experience anything "major" i.e injuries from an accident, or anything else you'd need to get on a plane for Bangkok, or Singapore.

Didn't @Sheryl get hit by a motocycle in Cambodia in the last year, she went to hospital there and treatment seemed ok, maybe she can confirm

• Like 1

As always, thank you @Sheryl for sharing your extensive, professional knowledge.

I've spent some time in Siem Reap 3-4 years ago and liked it. It's one city I keep on the list of possible places to live. While I don't have any threatening medical issues, it still worries me a bit should I have a motorcycle accident or need for intensive care. 

Moving along: SR does suffer from power outages and water shortages. One does need to live in a place with power generators. Has anyone experienced outages or shortages lately?

I've read there is a Makro in SR. Anyone surveyed the grocery lineup, particularly the meat and vegetable supply?

Thanks to all for your input.

• Like 2

On 12/6/2019 at 10:43 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Golf, cycling, 10 pin bowling, pool, good walks, many friends here or passing through in the high season, bars, massage, coffee and of course many gf opportunities. How about Siem Reap?

Unlimited gf and massage opportunities in SR.

And with younger (18+), prettier, and cheaper gfs.

Not to mention with the beer at 50c a glass, they all look pretty by the end of the evening.

• Haha 1

On December 6, 2019 at 10:43 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Exactly as I thought, same same as in Any country. Seems like you do the same as anyone, hang out. Never was into bowling, can't see many pattaya mongers doing such either. 

On 12/5/2019 at 11:05 PM, Aspaltso said:

Thanks for the Reply New Beginnings. Indeed I have been to Angkor Market, I'm lucky to live around the corner from there. My belief is that a lot of those imported products are coming from the U.S, and Australia as there is a large Khmer Diaspora in those countries, and I share your belief that there is quite a large variety of goods compared to the Thai "cookie cutter" selection. My comments were trying to convey a broader sense of goods sold here compared to what an expat in Thailand might be used to. I might have missed the mark on that. I do share your sentiments in regards to the French influence here, it feels so much more interesting than Thailand at times. Thanks for the info on the Bakery; I'll go have a look. BTW the best bakery I've ever been to in Southeast Asia is the French Bakery off of 26th street directly opposite Tevy's Place. Thanks for the reply New Beginnings.

Do many speak English there or communicating a challenge? Also, how easy is it work with the banks there? Is opening an account easy as well as transferring money in?

9 hours ago, HuskerDo said:

Do many speak English there or communicating a challenge? Also, how easy is it work with the banks there? Is opening an account easy as well as transferring money in?

I would say many Khmer can speak very basic English, but it is very limited and sometimes annyoying. For example; "Hello, you need tuk tuk, or hello, you need something etc. Like I have said; this is quite anoyying. As far as opening up a bank account I can only speak from my time back in Cambodia in 2010 when it was very easy to open an account .Essentially all I needed was my passport, and a limited amount to open the account with. I opened an account at Vattanac bank which is one of the better Cambodian banks, or so I was told. As far as transferring money in; I don't have much experience with this however I do know things are much more loose, and easy over here with the Banking regulations.

On 12/6/2019 at 1:21 PM, Aspaltso said:

sonnyboy2018: I don't have any detailed info on nightlife etc, as I have limited my drinking in recent years. I'm part of the "2 year, no beer crowd". I do know from word of mouth there really isn't a girly bar scene here, however there is a strong "bar presence" where freelancers are around, but I don't know firsthand.

Ever been to "Top Town"?

7 hours ago, daveAustin said:

How's the Chinese connection? Hear they're also making big inroads into Cambodia...

Ya, I've heard some interesting things in the last couple of weeks here in regards to the Chinese. An American Bar owner said a couple of weeks ago that a group of Chinese and their interpreter walked right up to his business and told him he wanted to buy his business, and or work out some kind of arrangement where he was leasing the property. The bar owner told him no, and apparently the Chinese were surprised with his statement.  Apparently there is a sense of overwhelming "money making opportunities" here in Cambodia with some of the Chinese who are moving here, and the bar owner went on to tell me its getting quite "tricky" here because of their presence. One of the reasons I chose Siem Reap was because I thought there'd be less Chinese influence than Phnom Penh, or other areas of Cambodia, and I think that's true, but there is no doubt they are moving in strongly here too. My landlord is Chinese, and he's quite a nice, and knowledgeable fellow. I actually like the presence they bring here if its "balanced". However places like Sihanoukville, and Phnom Penh are not. Their presence as tourists, or business owners doesn't affect my life here however.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, daveAustin said:

^^ This is a bit sad, though inevitable. It'd be nice to see monies benefiting the locals but if what I've been reading about Snooky is anything to go by, it doesn't bode well.

Unfortunately the money doesn't much benefit locals.

the MO of the Chinese here is to bring in their own Chinese workers for most things. Chinese run restaurants spring up to cater to them as well. So it all stays pretty much in Chinese hands plus of course large pay outs to the Cambodian powers that be.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...