Three pronged attack! EEC master plan to improve English and revolutionize curriculum

webfact

Three pronged attack! EEC master plan to improve English and revolutionize curriculum

6pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Suvit Maesincee - the higher education, science, research and innovation minister - has promised widespread reform of education curricula as part of the drive known as the EEC (eastern economic corridor) on Thailand's eastern seaboard.

English language will be delivered through technical subjects in what is called "Content Language Integrated Learning". 

Thai Rath suggested it would speed up learning and be economically sustainable. 

No mention was made of hiring any foreign teachers in the story, notes Thaivisa, following other stories in the media about English. 

Suvit had been at a meeting where the buzzwords were "Demand Driven" and "EEC Model". 

He promised that 120 bachelor degree graduates, who qualified within the last three years, would drive change to deliver 80% changes to the curriculum. 

Educators would be very capable in English, especially technical English. 

In addition 400 existing teachers would be trained in new methods. This would affect 30 districts across Chacherngsao, Chonburi and Rayong provinces. 

He described it as a first-of-its-kind, three pronged approach spearheaded by the Education Ministry, the Labor Ministry and his higher education ministry. 

The aims are to teach English and computer coding in particular side by side other subjects that would lead to more qualified and able people entering the workforce. 

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-12-06

This is all BS. The curricula for Thai students are simply too hard. In high school they ask students to discuss topics, such as the environment and global warming in English, but a large number of the students (after "studying" English for the past 11 or 12+ years), have never learned to even utter simple sentences such as: "Hi. My name is Somchai." Besides, overly long school days lead to tired and apathetic students. The lack of Thai and foreign teachers doesn't help, and a large number of classes is cancelled for the sake of ceremonies.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The aims are to teach English and computer coding in particular side by side other subjects that would lead to more qualified and able people entering the workforce. 

Which workforce? I'm not sure what good coding would be to someone in the tourist industry. Wouldn't do much to improve mechanical or even welding skills either.

As suggested in the OP, attending a meeting based on buzz words followed immediately by a 'plan' probably isn't the best planning. IMO they should be thinking outside the technical box and go old school; think about apprentice programmes instead of the nonsense being proposed. 

3 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Is that going to be made out of more teachers from the philippines? The one that are actually lower on the tests shown in the news yesterday. 

I wouldn't be surprised if they made an online app with some course content on it and issued it to the students.

Here we go again re arranging the deckchairs on the titanic of Thai education, they will need to free up time for all this by scrapping most of the time wasting cultural rubbish like marching about to nationalistic music, Thai dance lessons, kratong making, and not so much games and sport. We will get the same announcements next year with no changes.

18 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Here we go again re arranging the deckchairs on the titanic of Thai education, they will need to free up time for all this by scrapping most of the time wasting cultural rubbish like marching about to nationalistic music, Thai dance lessons, kratong making, and not so much games and sport. We will get the same announcements next year with no changes.

THe curriculum needs to be gutted and streamlined. Why do my students need to sit 18 mid term exams over the next 2 weeks? They are burned out and tired, and not interested in many of the subjects they are supposed to be learning. Id a kid wants to study maths and science in senior high school, that should be it. Why are m6 boys forced to do art and Thai dance, when they have no interest in those fields? Thus, they lose time studing subjects they like and then end up having to go to tutorial schools to actually learn the content for rdiculously hard PAT exams that bear no resemblance to the Thai school curriculum anyway. The whole system is ******. 

53 minutes ago, Pedigree said:

Pay foreign English teachers good salary to boost their motivation and they will work harder to deliver and Thailand's English woes will be solved subsequently!

This would be a good start, but impossible for any self-respecting teacher to maintain motivation with a no fail policy.

The problems with learning English (and much other stuff) are to be found in high school as it is nothing more than 6 years of brainwashing rubbish and they learn little of use. By the time they get to university then the damage is done and some can swim and many can't. If you want to sort out Thai students ability in most things then go to war on what happens in those 6 years of high school. Your average Thai high school teacher is just lamentably useless on so many fronts and you can't expect the unis to wave a magic wand and reverse all the nonsense they have been drilled with when they get there at 19 years-old.

Thailand has no chance of teaching English to its Children as long as there is very little or no contact with the language.

Its possible to teach A,B,C, in the classroom, but it does not register what it means to many kids, as they have no contact with the language outside of School.

There are few programs on TV, for example, in English, that kids are able to watch and hear the language spoken, their peers will not, or cannot speak English, and the written word is not out there.

My daughter learned a lot of her English from watching Disney Cartoons in English along with Dora the Explorer

You only have to see the  signs on the Roadside advertising " clod dinks " Etc to realize just how poor the English is here.

Its such a great shame, as Thai Students are not a bunch of air heads, they are Intelligent young people, just the same as many others across the Globe. It just seems to me that any willingness to progress in their lives is wrung out of them by a Society that believes they are the best in the World

Well the the 2017 PISA results show that the Thais are not the best in the World, not by a long, long, way.

32 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Thailand has no chance of teaching English to its Children as long as there is very little or no contact with the language.

Expanding this idea a little, they have no chance because they promote a pervasive 'us vs them' mild to strong xenophobia. 

Every chance people get, they fall back on this type of feudal attitude when having to interact with foreigners, and especially westerners. 

So what Thai children would dare speak openly with evil farangs? 

Or, if they do, it is often via their parents pushing them to go and show off to the white people. The conversation is immediately clear to be nothing more than the Thai kid trying to prove what he has been told all his life 

"We are (all) just as good or better than any westerners". 

The kids drip with arrogance. 

What westerner wants to waste time with such brats? 

???? adding

I had a Thai kid come up to me years ago. 

He was perhaps 10 years old. 

While his father waited nearby, this kid, started to tell me his dad was an executive at one of the eastern seaboard industrial estates. 

He then immediately jumped into telling me that he, the kid, was planning to buy a Maserati when he was old enough to drive. 

I walked away, stunned that a kid so young could already be so arrogant. 

I've encountered MANY similar kids - particularly Thai-Chinese - over the decades. 

Who talks to total stranger in such a way.

Disgusting 

7 hours ago, webfact said:

English language will be delivered through technical subjects in what is called "Content Language Integrated Learning". 

Technical subjects like, "Mobile Phone Apps"?  Yep!  They'll be onto a winner with that one!

Archived