2020 Land tax.. What do I need to know

On 12/10/2019 at 8:03 PM, ExpatOilWorker said:

The site is only in Thai, but it is possible to navigate. As an example is the appraisal value for Sukhumvit Suite.

No, it is not, does not come up with anything, either in Thai or in English.

15 minutes ago, MadMac said:

Apparently they send out some letters to condo owners in BKK now. Best to ignore for now, no Thai will pay such thing. 

The Thais I have talked to take this very serious, nobody escape dead and taxes, even in Thailand.

The front page of the Post Business section today (December 16th), seem to indicate that primary residence below 50 million baht don't pay any tax, but that is conflicting with the previously discussed link. Probably just poor reporting on the Post side.

7 minutes ago, MadMac said:

Witthayu Complex and Waterford Park Rama 4. Thanks!

Witthayu Complex have their own LINE group and the info have already been shared there. PM me if you want me to add you to the LINE group.

Witthayu Complex:

http://property.treasury.go.th/pvmwebsite/search_data/r_condo_price.asp?nrg_n=187/2562&cw=10&br=10080000

Waterford Rama 4:

http://property.treasury.go.th/pvmwebsite/search_data/r_condo_price.asp?nrg_n=37/2561&cw=10&br=10020000

12 minutes ago, MadMac said:

Thanks, appreciated, what did you type into that search field?

I do not use Line, too much spam.

First you select Bangkok (กรุงเทพมหานคร) 3rd from the top, insert the building name in Thai and hit search, then click on the search result and a separate link with the building info will open.

You can see there are 3,888 buildings registered in Bangkok. 

Edited by ExpatOilWorker

1 minute ago, MadMac said:

I tried that, did not work, but maybe wrong spelling from the PDF.

Anyways, nice to know the Waterford almost doubled in value :). Just need to find someone to buy it for 4mTHB.

Waterford Rama 4: เดอะ วอเตอร์ฟอร์ด สุขุมวิท 50

• Like 1

On 12/7/2019 at 3:26 PM, Estrada said:

There is a housing plot opposite my house worth over B10 Million, so today they started clearing the land to plant Banana trees. The people in our community will look after the trees and for free providing we can keep the bananas, so the land owner only has to pay 0.15% tax instead of 3%.

ah, thats why all the land near me is suddenly getting cleared then

so the plan is to turn every rai of land in thailand into one giant farm then?

great.

do these people ever think anything through? guess we don't need trees..

1 minute ago, GeorgeCross said:

ah, thats why all the land near me is suddenly getting cleared then

so the plan is to turn every rai of land in thailand into one giant farm then?

great.

do these people ever think anything through? guess we don't need trees..

Trees are fine, we planted coconut trees and other palms, if someone asks we will sell the normal palms for garden deco and the coconuts for food.

Every tree you can use for *something* could be agricultural. I bet you could spin them an empty gras area as agricultural telling them you sell the gras to farmers.

And no, they never think anything through...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MadMac said:

Honestly I have my doubts. No Thai pays income tax, why would they change this now for overpriced condos ????

'No Thai pays income tax'. Your source for this?

I suspect it is just your opinion. My opinion, based on going to tax offices and seeing lots of Thais come in there and discuss their returns, is to the contrary.

Poorer Thais of course usually pay no tax due to exemptions and allowances. Same as most developed countries.

Edited by SantiSuk

37 minutes ago, SantiSuk said:

'No Thai pays income tax'. Your source for this?

I suspect it is just your opinion. My opinion, based on going to tax offices and seeing lots of Thais come in there and discuss their returns, is to the contrary.

Poorer Thais of course usually pay no tax due to exemptions and allowances. Same as most developed countries.

There was some study a while back, i can't find the link but i think the number was that 6 mio Thais pay income tax of a population of 60 mio, which is extremely low.

Edit: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30378053

“This is the first time in 7 years that we have exceeded the tax collection target,” he said, explaining that the robust performance was mainly the result of expanding by 10 per cent the tax collection base from approximately 10 million in 2018 to 11.7 million in 2019.

So yeah like 1/6th of the population pays income tax....

Edited by ThomasThBKK

On 12/6/2019 at 11:36 AM, LivinLOS said:

I am told that if its agricultural land, its 0.15%..

I don't know whether the tax as you mention is a lot higher now or breaking news for 2020.

All I know is for many years, I always hear ... they have to put saparot, or sweet patatoes ... otherwise have to pay a lot of tax for empty land.

4 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

There was some study a while back, i can't find the link but i think the number was that 6 mio Thais pay income tax of a population of 60 mio, which is extremely low.

Yes that is low by developed country standards but so is the wealth trickle-down. A high proportion of Thais don't earn much money and would not trigger the requirement to pay tax. The Thai economy looks a whole lot different when you live in Isaan!

31 minutes ago, SantiSuk said:

Yes that is low by developed country standards but so is the wealth trickle-down. A high proportion of Thais don't earn much money and would not trigger the requirement to pay tax. The Thai economy looks a whole lot different when you live in Isaan!

Agree, main issue is that many rich thais avoid taxes because they can.

On the other hand low earning thais should not pay income taxes at all, there's enough megacorps here they can take money from - if only they wanted.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/6/2019 at 2:09 PM, Chazar said:

hopefully  it  will be their downfall like the Uk  polltax

I know it is off topic, but you metioned it. The Poll Tax was far fairer than Rateable Values and Council Tax. More people live there = more services needed = Pay more. Simple.

No idea how the Thai system works though. Size of property, number of residents, value of the property????

Edited by stouricks

• 2 months later...
On 12/26/2019 at 9:50 AM, LivinLOS said:

Is there any more recent information re 'vacant land'... 

Trying to decide if the cost and hassle of planting bananas or something similar is worth the stress v whatever tax my wife will pay on a few rai we have banked for the future. 

15 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Is there any more recent information re 'vacant land'... 

Trying to decide if the cost and hassle of planting bananas or something similar is worth the stress v whatever tax my wife will pay on a few rai we have banked for the future. 

I'm curious as well.

My wife and I live in the U.S. of A. I asked my wife if she has heard about this new tax. She replied that she hasn't. One of her properties is a townhouse in Krabi. Nobody lives there but her cousin lives in the townhouse next to her townhouse. I assume that they have received some sort of letter regarding this new tax for their townhouse and that they have also received a letter for my wife's townhouse since they oversee all that goes on with that property. I'm not too worried about this property since we should be able to get this information from her cousin.

However, my wife also owns vacant land in Nakhon Si Thammarrat. I don't know where the letter regarding taxes was sent. I know that in the past my wife would go to a local government office to pay taxes on the land for several years at a time. The land was taxed as farm land because there are some coconut trees on the property. I tax was something like 200 baht or less for 3 years of taxes. But with this new land tax I'm concerned that the government may change the status of that property and tax it as vacant unused land.

We plan to travel to Thailand in July. Hopefully the pandemic situation will still allow us to make this trip. While there I'm hoping we can resolve all of these tax issues. Nevertheless, is there something my wife can do proactively to get specific information on the tax situation of her plot of land?

From the law posted a single unit townhouse should not be any issues.. The tax seems designed to not hit primary dwellings for normal value homes etc. 

In fact all of the sections seems light except the unused land one, which is what we currently have.. I still dont know if its 3% or 0.3% for the first years rising over time to 3%, I keep seeing different things posted. 0.3% of land office value, is probably not worth the hassle of planting bananas, 3% sure would be. 

• 1 month later...

https://www.pattayamail.com/thailandnews/thailand-policy-on-land-and-building-taxes-90-reduction-will-not-impact-revenues-302751?fbclid=IwAR2YUT5l67biMrQUETfoYrSokQlIjA44h-qXjTlDQ2dAno6uYJEhWgVCScU

And still no clearer... Wife wants to go offer to pay at the rveue dept / land office.. But I know offering to pay will simply mean 'paying maximum'.. 

Does anyone know whats going on for the vacant land category right now ??

• 2 months later...

It may seem that most/many foreign owners/investors of condos believe that they are exempt from paying the new Land and Building Tax if their unit is below 10 million baht. However, the fine print says one's name must be printed in the House Registration Book (blue book) in order to be exempt. Typically the blue book issued will not have a foreigner's name printed in it to prove it is their primary residence. I imagine this will impact most/many foreigners that have invested in a condo (for holidays or for long term living if they truly live/work here and have not switched to a yellow book). To be law abiding, how does one pay? There does not seem to be a clear process (in English, preferably) on how to have one's unit appraised, fill out X form online/in person, go here, etc. I have not received any government letters in the mail on what to do and how to do it. Guidance appreciated. Thank you.