2020 Land tax.. What do I need to know

3 hours ago, Alan1203 said:

It may seem that most/many foreign owners/investors of condos believe that they are exempt from paying the new Land and Building Tax if their unit is below 10 million baht. However, the fine print says one's name must be printed in the House Registration Book (blue book) in order to be exempt. Typically the blue book issued will not have a foreigner's name printed in it to prove it is their primary residence. I imagine this will impact most/many foreigners that have invested in a condo (for holidays or for long term living if they truly live/work here and have not switched to a yellow book). To be law abiding, how does one pay? There does not seem to be a clear process (in English, preferably) on how to have one's unit appraised, fill out X form online/in person, go here, etc. I have not received any government letters in the mail on what to do and how to do it. Guidance appreciated. Thank you.

Earlier this week we received the tax bills for several properties we own.  One is in Bangkok.  All of the bills came to our address here in Chiang Rai.  The bill has the appraised value listed.  We will pay by bank transfer.  I’m not sure how an overseas owner will receive the bill.

edit: just talked to my wife, most likely the bill has been mailed to the Thai property address if owned by a foreigner.  According to the letter we received, the payment is due August 31.  After that date interest will be added.  Contacting the land office could give you more information.

Edited by statman78
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

I almost forgot - I have to pay property tax again.

I have two conflicting informations. One says it has to be paid until the end of February and the other says until the end of April. What is correct now?

I also understood that I will sadly need a yellow book to avoid any tax payments for the condo I use myself. I am really not in the mood to fulfil all the many requirements for it... Is there any other option? 

• 6 months later...

Yeah thats not the issue.. Unused land is the issue.. For that it was 1.2% rising 0.3 % to 3% of the land value per annum.. 

We never paid it while multiple other farangs got walked in by thier wives to pay her taxes.. First year we didnt then got a COVID pass on collection (but none of the people who voluntarily paid got a refund I note) and this year I recently heard they again are not collecting it due to covid financial troubles. 

We will want a building permit next year so I will see if I can get that issued without being caught on backtaxes.. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Anyone with any updates ?? Surely theres a few folks who have unused land sat about ??

We hear through the bamboo telegraph that 'this year' they will start collecting this again.. As we havent paid it ever, I am a little reluctant to go and ask what the score is.. 

We know some local buffalo farang were frog marched along nice and early by the nose ring to go and pay the wives tax bill, the speed that this happened seemed directly proportional to the avaricious nature of the wives IMO. I also know that there was some kind of relaxation due to covid but it never seemed to be published as to what, why, how long, etc.. I also know that those who paid promptly never got any refund of course. So now theres this odd position of some people paying and others including me still successfully ignoring it. 

The used land or land and property tax is borderline irrelevant the bill is so small.. Its the 1.2% vacant land tax thats niggling me, could get into 10s of 1000s with a raised land valuation. 

Anyone paid ?? Received a bill ?? Is this regional differences ?? 

14 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Anyone with any updates ?? Surely theres a few folks who have unused land sat about ??

We hear through the bamboo telegraph that 'this year' they will start collecting this again.. As we havent paid it ever, I am a little reluctant to go and ask what the score is.. 

We know some local buffalo farang were frog marched along nice and early by the nose ring to go and pay the wives tax bill, the speed that this happened seemed directly proportional to the avaricious nature of the wives IMO. I also know that there was some kind of relaxation due to covid but it never seemed to be published as to what, why, how long, etc.. I also know that those who paid promptly never got any refund of course. So now theres this odd position of some people paying and others including me still successfully ignoring it. 

The used land or land and property tax is borderline irrelevant the bill is so small.. Its the 1.2% vacant land tax thats niggling me, could get into 10s of 1000s with a raised land valuation. 

Anyone paid ?? Received a bill ?? Is this regional differences ?? 

I'm in a similar boat as you although I'm not living in Thailand as I assume you are, so my access to the "bamboo telegraph" is nonexistent. And just this month my wife purchased another piece of undeveloped land. She is actually a co-owner with her cousin which they plan on dividing it the next time my wife returns to Thailand. Maybe her cousin will receive information on paying this tax on undeveloped land.

6 hours ago, donx said:

I'm in a similar boat as you although I'm not living in Thailand as I assume you are, so my access to the "bamboo telegraph" is nonexistent. And just this month my wife purchased another piece of undeveloped land. She is actually a co-owner with her cousin which they plan on dividing it the next time my wife returns to Thailand. Maybe her cousin will receive information on paying this tax on undeveloped land.

I find it a little odd, given the population of the forum, that theres not more experience of this.. 

It seems highly regional, I spoke to some folks on samui last year and no one had heard of it.. At all.. I get the impression the collection of this tax is wildly haphazard, if you volunteer to pay, you will pay, everything else, not really clear. 

22 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

We know some local buffalo farang were frog marched along nice and early by the nose ring to go and pay the wives tax bill, the speed that this happened seemed directly proportional to the avaricious nature of the wives IMO. 

Amazing,

I have no idea of why you have not had many replies. :giggle:

TIT.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Calls it as I sees it... 

They would never have been so swift to research and rapidly pay in full with thier own money.. 

That is true and this is just one reason some Thais get into money problems. ( ignore it, it will go away ) i think only the foolish think that way about Tax. 

But here is a bit of info, went to pattaya city hall tax payment office. last week, just to check what i owe, turns out, don't owe anything after last years payment 30 baht i think !!!! LOL.  (condo pattaya)

But explained to them i don't live in pattaya now so how can i pay it when the bill comes for this year.

No problem, we can send the bill to your new address and you can pay at bank, they give us the bank account number on a business card. and looked at wife's ID and my condo papers i had with me.

job done, there was 3 people in the office. so no waiting.

And no ( buffalo farang ) to be seen. :coffee1:

Edited by Orinoco

Think your missing the entire thrust of this issue.. Condo tax, house tax etc is so trivial as to be irrelevant.. 

Vacant land tax ONLY, is likely to run into 10s of 1000s.. Which is why it is not a 'pop in the office and pay the trivial cost' question.

Just now, LivinLOS said:

Think your missing the entire thrust of this issue.. Condo tax, house tax etc is so trivial as to be irrelevant.. 

Vacant land tax ONLY, is likely to run into 10s of 1000s.. Which is why it is not a 'pop in the office and pay the trivial cost' question.

Just no telling some people.

Tax always goes down !!!!!!!!! :cheesy:

Please carry on in your ignorance.

Bye.

Edited by Orinoco

3 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

I find it a little odd, given the population of the forum, that theres not more experience of this.. 

It seems highly regional, I spoke to some folks on samui last year and no one had heard of it.. At all.. I get the impression the collection of this tax is wildly haphazard, if you volunteer to pay, you will pay, everything else, not really clear. 

Down here in Phuket, I used to own a couple of plots (which I purchased thru a mutual Australian mate) which I sold a few years ago (unfortunately & fortunately) .

I don't own any vacant land anymore but not heard any one mention it, but then again not that many mates seem to own vacant land down here anymore, I guess cos the good old days of 2 Million a Rai are long gone...

Just now, LivinLOS said:

Sorry your correct, my mistake. 

my apologies.  :jap: