What's the expectation when an expensive Asian restaurant doesn't have rice?

Jingthing

Recently came across a new restaurant drama (to me) which is saying something as I'm such a restaurant maven.

Went to one of my favorite EXPENSIVE Chinese restaurants and ordered up some dishes and rice of course.

The dishes arrived. Then I was told they were out of rice and it would be 20 minutes to cook new rice but I was offered a small bowl of COLD AND GREASY fried rice. I was told this would be free.

Now I know many Western people like to eat Chinese food with fried rice but I don't. 

So anyway, it was either accept this sorry situation or wait 20 minutes and then the main dishes would be COLD. 

Now an unusually excellent restaurant especially with a regular customer would say, sorry, we'll recook your dishes fresh or perhaps even comp the entire meal. But this place isn't that excellent. 

So I accepted it and sure enough the meal was largely ruined. Yes I could have asked them to heat up the fried rice but that would be like lipstick on a pig.

The bill arrives -- the rice is still included. I got them to take that off but now I feel badly about this place. Now is there a need to be an A-hole every time and confirm they actually have rice ready (with a considerable language barrier)? 

Was I too soft on them? Would you have demanded they recook the dishes when the rice was ready? Keep in mind I'm talking about an EXPENSIVE restaurant. Obviously in a place with 100 baht dishes you don't expect to be treated royally.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it was an expensive retaurant then standards and service are expected to match.

I would have said do it right or not all. You should have been informed at order placement regarding the rice situation so you could decide, not after the food arrived, that's not acceptable. (IMHO). They can take it away and bring it all together or I would have walked.

Had they told you upfront, your entire order will be 20 minutes due to the rice, you can make an informed choice. NOT bring it then tell you something is missing etc.

I liked the part with the 'my favorite EXPENSIVE Chinese restaurants'

conclusion, the more pompous and pretentious the establishment is, the further one should keep away from, but if you still go there hoping for a good experience be prepared take their Nouvelle cuisine attitude with your strides...

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

If it was an expensive retaurant then standards and service are expected to match.

I would have said do it right or not all. You should have been informed at order placement regarding the rice situation so you could decide, not after the food arrived, that's not acceptable. (IMHO).

Had they told you upfront, your entire order will be 20 minutes due to the rice, you can make an informed choice. NOT bring it then tell you something is missing etc.

I agree but remember this is Thailand. Of course they didn't tell me about the issue when I ordered. If they had I would have said, no problem, I will wait. Also keeping in mind this is Thailand, I could have said take the food away and give me fresh food with the rice but I think we all know 99 percent of the time restaurants here would NOT recook the dishes fresh. So they would somehow heat up the existing food, degrading it.

I don't think demanding such excellent service as you describe usually works very well here. Could get fluids in your food for that.

I suppose someone will say don't go there again. But I want to but I don't want them to screw me over the same way again. 

35 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Was I too soft on them? Would you have demanded they recook the dishes when the rice was ready? Keep in mind I'm talking about an EXPENSIVE restaurant. Obviously in a place with 100 baht dishes you don't expect to be treated royally.

I would have left without paying, never to return and ate somewhere else.

If you go there again, you've accepted their rules of play.

4 minutes ago, ezzra said:

I liked the part with the 'my favorite EXPENSIVE Chinese restaurants'

conclusion, the more pompous and pretentious the establishment is, the further one should keep away from, but if you still go there hoping for a good experience be prepared take their Nouvelle cuisine attitude with your strides...

The food is really good. It's not anywhere near the most expensive Chinese places here. I consider it good value and also they have quite unusual to find dishes here.

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I would have left without paying, never to return and ate somewhere else.

Maybe you wouldn't if they had food that you love that you can't get elsewhere. 

I totally agree if it was a place you could easily remove from your list without pain that would be the thing to do, not reward them with future business. But in this cases, a much bigger loss to me than them. 

Just now, Jingthing said:

I agree but remember this is Thailand. Of course they didn't tell me about the issue when I ordered. If they had I would have said, no problem, I will wait. Also keeping in mind this is Thailand, I could have said take the food away and give me fresh food with the rice but I think we all know 99 percent of the time restaurants here would NOT recook the dishes fresh. So they would somehow heat up the existing food, degrading it.

I don't think demanding such excellent service as you describe usually works very well here. Could get fluids in your food for that.

I suppose someone will say don't go there again. But I want to but I don't want them to screw me over the same way again. 

You emphasized the "expensive" aspect which to me also means upmarket etc. If they are charging the high price then they should have to back up the price with the said service.

You seem to be complaining and yet defending them. Ultimately of course its your choice and mine is just an opinion. But if I am paying for quality and service, I dont care what country I am in a standard is expected to support their price. Which in this case it appears was not given.

It wouldnt stop me returning, but if I did I would make clear at order my expectation and wants at the point of order to ensure it was understood and hopefully avoid that issue again.

The way I think I'll deal with this is to have a phrase in google translate into Chinese that says:

Please confirm with the kitchen that they have rice available. 

If it isn't the same waiters they'll find that bizarre and perhaps obnoxious. I hate being an A-hole in restaurants but sometimes they leave little choice, be obnoxious or don't get what you are paying for. 

But I think if I do that two or three times (then maybe I can stop) the kitchen will get the message that this crazy white ghost customer is serious about needing rice. THEN if they mess up again, I'll have stronger grounds to send the food back if served without rice.

Just now, CharlieH said:

You emphasized the "expensive" aspect which to me also means upmarket etc. If they are charging the high price then they should have to back up the price with the said service.

You seem to be complaining and yet defending them. Ultimately of course its your choice and mine is just an opinion. But if I am paying for quality and service, I dont care what country I am in a standard is expected to support their price. Which in this case it appears was not given.

It wouldnt stop me returning, but if I did I would make clear at order my expectation and wants at the point of order to ensure it was understood and hopefully avoid that issue again.

It is high end. Very fancy place. Way more waiters than they need. 10 percent tip is added to the bill. But because of the Chinese food market in this town now it isn't anywhere near the most expensive places. But you have a good point. That's relative. I suppose if the prices were DOUBLE what they're charging I would be more inclined to not accept any flaws at all. 

22 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I agree but remember this is Thailand. Of course they didn't tell me about the issue when I ordered. If they

If it's just one time, I would just accept it and go again.

After all, this isn't America. No matter how expensive the Chinese food in Thailand, it's still not as expensive as in America.

It could be your unlucky day that time they ran out of rice. But I wouldn't accept it if it were a daily mistake.

Which restaurant is this anyway? I might want to have a try.

48 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It is high end. Very fancy place. Way more waiters than they need. 10 percent tip is added to the bill. But because of the Chinese food market in this town now it isn't anywhere near the most expensive places. But you have a good point. That's relative. I suppose if the prices were DOUBLE what they're charging I would be more inclined to not accept any flaws at all. 

What was the price for your food? Getting confused by "high end / expensive" and "isn't anywhere near the most expensive places"   

19 minutes ago, EdrigoSalvadore said:

That is my problem in Thailand. Even the best restaurants have bad days which make me never want to visit them again. It is very difficoult to find restaurants that hold up over time.

Well I think it goes with the territory here. Some things aren't up to our home standards and some things are better. 

About the price of this place specifically I don't think it's that relevant. People have different feelings about what's expensive. Expats and tourists have different perceptions too. The place in question is expensive in my context living as an expat in Pattaya. I will say the price range to eat decently there is about 450 to 2000 a head without drink. My typical bill there is about 550. To me that's higher than an everyday restaurant meal for Chinese or anything else. If you live in Manhattan that's a joke. 

Also expensive and overpriced are not the same thing. I don't become a regular of overpriced restaurants if I can help it. 

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yes you get it

never let them to get a second chance to f... you again

as you said is an expensive restaurant and your experience was ruined

enough is enough, just try another one

the out of stock of cooked rice is not the problem

but they say nothing to you about that untill you are face to the problem

and with no other option than their poor proposition (Cold rice)

that is the problem (Plus trying at the end to charge you for the ''free'' rice)

too much is too much, even if you are lenient

You say the food is to your taste, you revel in the choices, then go again, if the food is served without a hitch you are over the hurdle of thinking you may not get your requested dishes frequently

Easy for somebody to forget to push the switch on a rice cooker, no malice intended just an occasional mishap

It shouldn't happen in any even half decent restaurant.

Don't get me wrong buy I like to ask: Do you think that was "special" treatment for you? Did they have any reason why they thought to treat you bad and maybe tell you in some way that they don't want to see you again?

I guess in many places in Thailand they wouldn't tell you to your face that they don't want to see you (anymore). But maybe they do something deliberately to make you stay away - just a thought.

20 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Personally I would have asked for a portion of chips (fries to non English speakers). Much prefer them to rice with a chinkey anyway.

I usuallu prefer chips or chappatis with Indian curry too.  I find rice banal unless its top quality basmati.

8 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Don't get me wrong buy I like to ask: Do you think that was "special" treatment for you? Did they have any reason why they thought to treat you bad and maybe tell you in some way that they don't want to see you again?

I guess in many places in Thailand they wouldn't tell you to your face that they don't want to see you (anymore). But maybe they do something deliberately to make you stay away - just a thought.

Quite possible if they do an "all you can eat" buffet.

Obviously, they should have told you when you ordered that there was no rice, or failing that informed you afterwards and asked what you wanted  to do i.e. wait for the meal, cancel the order etc.

And you would have been within your rights to have refused the food when it arrived minus rice and left paying nothing. But having decided to stay and make do...you should let it go now!

1 hour ago, kingofthemountain said:

Yes you get it

never let them to get a second chance to f... you again

as you said is an expensive restaurant and your experience was ruined

enough is enough, just try another one

the out of stock of cooked rice is not the problem

but they say nothing to you about that untill you are face to the problem

and with no other option than their poor proposition (Cold rice)

that is the problem (Plus trying at the end to charge you for the ''free'' rice)

too much is too much, even if you are lenient

Yes I agree that visit was a poor experience. But it's not that cut and dry in this case. 

Because 

Its the first time that it was bad.

The dishes themselves were still good. 

They have some unique food that I like that I can't get elsewhere. 

The location is very convenient for me. 

The prices seem fair to me for the quality offered though I don't like to pay for the fancy decor and high rent but it is what it is. 

So I'll be back! 

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Obviously, they should have told you when you ordered that there was no rice, or failing that informed you afterwards and asked what you wanted  to do i.e. wait for the meal, cancel the order etc.

And you would have been within your rights to have refused the food when it arrived minus rice and left paying nothing. But having decided to stay and make do...you should let it go now!

Funny. I think I have let it go. But I want to prevent it happening later when I go back. 

If I had walked out without payng assuming that they wouldn't have called the police which some places probably would I couldn't have ever gone back. So that didn't even cross my mind as an option at the time. 

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes I agree that visit was a poor experience. But it's not that cut and dry in this case. 

Because 

Its the first time that it was bad.

The dishes themselves were still good. 

They have some unique food that I like that I can't get elsewhere. 

The location is very convenient for me. 

The prices seem fair to me for the quality offered though I don't like to pay for the fancy decor and high rent but it is what it is. 

So I'll be back! 

It's up to you of course and you have some good reasons here

BUT

now you need to ask before if all the plates of your order ar available

AND

you have now an excellent reason to not let a tip at the end

(If you was used to let something other than the metalic ones

personaly i don't tip as it's not in the Thai culture

for one time try to respect the Thai culture is at my advantage hehe)

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That's actually a reasonable question and I'm sensitive to the fact that not all restaurants are friendly and welcoming to everyone. Particularly when there is a language barrier and a restaurant intends to cater to a specific demographic and you're not in the demographic.

But I feel confident in this case that this is not the case. I have been treated very warmly there. They appreciate that I appreciate their authentic food. I tip on top of the service charge. Even once an obvious owner (but no English) actually sat at my table and smiled a lot even though that was awkward it was definitely not hostile. 

Archived