"Shopping centers for high spending Chinese" key driver in Bangkok's #2 world city place

webfact

16 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

You forget there are way more Chinese coming than Westerners, so in total they spend way more too.

There are way more patrons of fast-food restaurants than of high-end restaurants, so let's close all those high-end restaurants, and turn them into McDonald's and Burger King outlets instead.

Also stop the charade of trying to teach Thai kids English, and teach them Chinese instead, as there are way more Chinese coming...

On 12/6/2019 at 8:05 PM, jackdd said:

As pointed out before: The average Chinese might spend more per day than the average western tourist (do we know where these numbers come from?), but on average the western tourist stays longer than the Chinese tourist. So when looking at the average spending per visit, western tourists spend more. Which explains why the tourist arrival numbers can be up but the hotels are empty.

Assuming that western tourists spend every day. Westerners are much more likely to lounge about on the beach than Chinese.

15 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

I mostly encounter these shopping Chinese at the 7/11.

You should pay the odd visit to a high end mall then.

15 hours ago, 30la said:

Most of the items that are offered in Thailand can also be found in China at lower prices!

Sure but the likelihood of being sold a fake is more remote and the tax is refundable.

14 hours ago, justin case said:

there are no shopping malls in china that chinese have to come to shopping malls here ?

Hundreds of thousands, but there is some kudos in buying overseas, as there is with any holidaymakers.

from the above Thaiwebsites reference in response #8:

China    Europe  Americas Oceania   #2+#3+#4
tourist arrivals
by region (2017)   9,847,000 6,322,000 1,449,000  948,000 8,719,000
average length of
stay (days, 2017)       8.08     17.22     15.06    13.88
total expenditure
by region (million
us dollar), 2017   15,342.44 13,659.49  3,215.62 2,177.62 19,052.73

Arrivals from China not that much more than from the three "western" regions.

"[All data as numbers provided by Department of Tourism, Thailand]"

"There may be more and more Chinese and Indian visitors, but still, Europeans, Australians and Americans spend at least 50 to 60% more per visitor, mainly because they stay longer."

"Data provided by , Ministry of Tourism and Sports, Thailand. In our experience you have to be able to peruse the data in the Thai language version, to get the latest updates."

by comparison, under arrivals in "Tourism in Thailand" @ Wikipedia:

to Oct 2019 2019/10*12       2018      2017 2019/10*12/2017
                                                      + or - 4 to 39%
China       9,344,423 11,213,308 10,535,955 9,805,753 1.14

India       1,633,179  1,959,815  1,596,772 1,411,942 1.39

Russia      1,077,389  1,292,867  1,472,949 1,346,219 0.96
U.S.A.        915,391  1,098,469  1,123,248 1,056,124 1.04
Australia     642,619    771,143    801,637   817,091 0.94

The second numeric column prorates the 10 months of 2019 to 12 months.

The 2017 arrivals for China from Thaiwebsites and Wikipedia are close.

The 2017 arrivals for U.S.A. from Wikipedia are about 73% of the arrivals for Americas from Thaiwebsites. The 2017 arrivals for Australia from Wikipedia are about 86% of the arrivals from Oceania from Taiwebsites. The Europe/Americas/Oceania US$19,052.73m reduced by 27% of US$3,215.62m and reduced by 14% of US$2,177.62m gives an adjusted Europe/USA/Australia estimate of US$17,879.65m. Compare that with the US$15,342.44m Chinese total expenditure.

On 12/7/2019 at 1:05 AM, jackdd said:

As pointed out before: The average Chinese might spend more per day than the average western tourist (do we know where these numbers come from?), but on average the western tourist stays longer than the Chinese tourist. So when looking at the average spending per visit, western tourists spend more. Which explains why the tourist arrival numbers can be up but the hotels are empty.

Ask a tuk tuk driver in Chiang Mai, he will tell you, Chinese ask for the fare price from A to B-- then expect the driver to take all of them for the price quoted per passenger.

Hong Kong is only a ferry ride from mainland China, and many in Hong Kong speak

Chinese. Bangkok and Thailand has another language besides Chinese. Might be a reason for less travellers.  Oh well the Baht is way too high and needs to be less.

Geezer

what I would like to know is how do they know how do they tell how many people that land at Bangkok air ports are actually landing there to stay at Bangkok, I for one have to land there to take the shortest root to the city I live in, also many land there to go to Cambodia and other places. Oh forgot MT 30

1 hour ago, kiwikeith said:

Ask a tuk tuk driver in Chiang Mai, he will tell you, Chinese ask for the fare price from A to B-- then expect the driver to take all of them for the price quoted per passenger.

If i were the first time in Chiang Mai as a western tourist i would expect the same. If i ask how much to go from here to there it's basically like a taxi, why would it matter if i go alone or as a group. Taxis in Bangkok also don't charge per person.

9 hours ago, johnarth said:

what I would like to know is how do they know how do they tell how many people that land at Bangkok air ports are actually landing there to stay at Bangkok, I for one have to land there to take the shortest root to the city I live in, also many land there to go to Cambodia and other places. Oh forgot MT 30

Master card rates Bangkok the number 1 city in the world and knows exactly how long and how much each tourist spends by Nationality. Chinese are big spenders and spend 5 nights on average..Just google it Im sick of posting the link for the usually suspect bashers to ignore it. Apparently according to some idiots they are spending 5 nights at the airport

I believe Chinese spend money, but it's absolute nonsense they spend money in high end shopping malls. 

Decade or so ago when I was transferring from Chicago and Tokyo there were literally hundreds of Japanese women full of shopping bags whose sole purpose visiting USA was shopping.

Why would Chinese shop in overpriced Thai malls unless by spending they count meals at Yayoi and Santa Fe "steak". 

I still have a suspicion that the chinese spending may be much lower that what they say.  I would not be surprised if the tour operators are not supplying much of the spending for example saying the hotels were "valued" at say 4000 a night but of course the tourist only paid 800 but the 4000 "regular" price may be recorded.  Something is funny with the numbers.  Have a look at the phony numbers agoda posts where you see rooms 5000 per night slashed to 700 lol.  

all the poor backpackers are in Vietnam talking about how great it is there, how smart they are, and that Thailand will be void of tourists any day.  

they see this, then look at their life savings of 20,000 dong and cry......  

even in the information age, people are blind to facts if they don't understand such basic information.  ok, sexpat billie is gone.....

Archived